Quantcast

Thread: Is the Everdrive-GB worth getting?

Default Is the Everdrive-GB worth getting?

I know that I recently posted that rant topic about going back to emulation but I'm still very much into my SNES hardware, I have the Super Everdrive V2.3D for it. But I also have the Super Game Boy 2 and am on the fence about getting the EverDrive-GB. Would it even be worth it for me? I would also like to play GBC games but I know that both the Super Game Boy 1 and 2 don't play them (except for the backwards compatible DX ones) and I already have an emulator for my Original Xbox that plays all GB/GBC/GBA games. However all GB games play in B&W on the emulator (except for SGB enhanced ones) which is kind of annoying, where as the SGB 2 on my SNES would at least 'colorize' them.

Can I get anyone's thoughts on what I should do? Should I dish out the $80 for the Everdrive-GB for my SGB 2?
    I don't have a GBC, GBA or GameCube with a GB player nor do I intend to get any one of those because I'm cheap

Here's a SGB 2 if any of yous have never seen it before, it was only released in Japan:

I cut out the region lock-out tabs inside my NA SNES' cartridge slot so it could fit. It works fine on it, no region protection. It also has neat LEDs, a red one for power and green for link cable activity.
    Last edited by roadkill; 03-10-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Outrunner

Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as a Super Game Boy 2.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

To me it wouldn't be worth it if it doesn't support GBA. GB and especially GBC have little to interest me.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as a Super Game Boy 2.
    Exactly what I just said!! The thing exists solely to trade poke'mon.

Road Rasher

I would say yes. I dont have one yet, but its next on my list of Everdrives to get.
    I just love the original GB library of games, so its a no brainer to me. I love 8 bit gaming, and the GB game catalog is second only to the NES, IMHO. Never cared much about the GB Color though, but its got a handful games that interest me too.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

The Super Game Boy 2 has one big selling point: unlike the original Super Game Boy, the games and their music run at the correct speed. Everything on the first SGB is sped up by a small, but noticeable, amount because for some stupid reason they set it up to use a higher clock speed. It was discussed on Sega-16 here a while back.

I own a SGB2, and am glad I do. Most folks might not notice the difference in the music with the SGB1, but it bugged the hell out of me (and Ace, apparently).

Oh, the EverDrive-GB is great, BTW. Glad I got mine, and I haven't even used it for GBC games yet.
    Last edited by goldenband; 02-25-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The Super Game Boy 2 has one big selling point: unlike the original Super Game Boy, the games and their music run at the correct speed. Everything on the first SGB is sped up by a small, but noticeable, amount because for some stupid reason they set it up to use a higher clock speed. It was discussed on Sega-16 here a while back.

I own a SGB2, and am glad I do. Most folks might not notice the difference in the music with the SGB1, but it bugged the hell out of me (and Ace, apparently).

Oh, the EverDrive-GB is great, BTW. Glad I got mine, and I haven't even used it for GBC games yet.
    Yeah that's why I got the SGB 2 also, because of the fixed sound. The link cable support is neat to have too. And yeah there's really not any GBC games I like either, I mostly wish it supported the enhanced colors of the DX GB games such as Tetris DX and Link's Awakening DX.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah, the fixed sound is the only reason I have considered getting one, but it's pretty low on my priority list considering how well the GBP works.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Shake well before use Master of Shinobi Robotwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Exactly what I just said!! The thing exists solely to trade poke'mon.
    That's not true.
    Just imagine what intense Faceball 2000 matches you can play with 16 of these bad boys linked together of these

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

While I do love and cherish the Gameboy, the good games are few and far between
    Quote Originally Posted by saturndual32 View Post
    IMHO. Never cared much about the GB Color though, but its got a handful games that interest me too.
    I honestly can't think of a single memorable title for the GB Color except maybe Shante and that Bionic Commando game. While I do "get" the fact the the gameboy had "cabbage green" games for nearly a decade, the upgrade was utterly pointless and the handful of games for it did little to impress people. It felt like a needless band-aid

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by negative chill View Post
    While I do love and cherish the Gameboy, the good games are few and far between

I honestly can't think of a single memorable title for the GB Color except maybe Shante and that Bionic Commando game.
    Here are some prety darn good (in the context of Game Boy games) GB Color games:

Hands of Time
    Konami GB Collection Vol.3 (European version)
    Little Mermaid II ~ Pinball Frenzy
    Macross 7: Ginga no Heart o Furuwa Sero!!
    Dragon's Dance
    Pokemon Pinball
    Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
    Super Robot Pinball
    Survival Kids
    Wacky Races
    Zelda: A Link to the Past DX
    Inspector Gadget Operation Mad Cactus
    and there's an Elevator Action style game rebranded with some Nickelodian cartoon characters (can't recall the name right now)

Snoopy Tennis might be pretty good too, haven't played it yet though
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 02-28-2015 at 12:21 PM.

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
    Zelda: A Link to the Past DX
    While I like the two of those, they're really just straight up ports of existing games, same with DKC (which doesn't look nearly half as good as it's cousin on the GBA)

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

and there's an Elevator Action style game rebranded with some Nickelodian cartoon characters (can't recall the name right now)
    That'd be Dexter's Laboratory: Robot Rampage. If only all the shovelware titles out there were actually reskinned versions of quality import games!

Snoopy Tennis might be pretty good too, haven't played it yet though
    I'm curious about that one too -- I should fire it up.

Another good GBC game is Montezuma's Return. It's got that Pitfall/Castlequest thing going on (much like its ancestor game, of course).

Thread Information