Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Game Room reviews the Sega SG-1000 MK II

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I agree his videos are mostly fluff. That's what they've always been. I'm just puzzled that people expect more from him.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    I agree his videos are mostly fluff. That's what they've always been. I'm just puzzled that people expect more from him.
    There is a place for that. When I do watch his videos, it's mostly late at night, after studying or a night out when I'm too tired to watch something more involved like Game Sack or Generation 16.

His early videos (08-09) were of a better quality than afterword. Back then he mostly dealt with games that he had history with, many from his own collection. He actually had things to say about them. When people starting sending anything and everything to him, that's when the air got let out of it. I can't totally blame him for not having a ton to say about this or that import Saturn game he saw for the first time yesterday, but the production schedule is built around more uploads = more money.
    Last edited by zetastrike; 03-02-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The 1st sign that he doesn't take these reviews seriously, is that he has some goofy intro with each video. He even shows his hand trying to insert a Genesis cart into the slot of the SG-1000.

His videos are for entertainment 1st and foremost. If you happen gain an interest in a game or console that he is showing, there are far more serious youtube channels that will provide that information.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The 1st sign that he doesn't take these reviews seriously, is that he has some goofy intro with each video. He even shows his hand trying to insert a Genesis cart into the slot of the SG-1000.

His videos are for entertainment 1st and foremost. If you happen gain an interest in a game or console that he is showing, there are far more serious youtube channels that will provide that information.
    agreed, That's how I take all CGR videos as entertainment generally
    -Rick "Only fools oppose the almighty Megatron"

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...light=foxhound

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    agreed, That's how I take all CGR videos as entertainment generally
    Same with me, though I have bought (& really enjoyed) a game or two based solely off of a CGR review by Mark. He essentially lets the games speak for themselves, while adding in how he feels about the game. His humor simply adds to everything.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeo View Post
    Exactly. Plus, when Mark reviews the Mark III he'll likely properly describe it as the Japanese version of the Master System (which it technically is), and likely apologize for the mistake in the SG-1000 II review; he's done stuff like that in other reviews before.
    this - also, just glad to see this thing talked about; i adore CGR but i'd love to see GameSack do an ep on this system.
    also, i totally sent in a genesis copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors last year, here's to hoping it gets reviewed soon!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i totally sent in a genesis copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors last year, here's to hoping it gets reviewed soon!
    Considering the money this guy must be making off of his videos, why on earth do people send him stuff for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    Considering the money this guy must be making off of his videos, why on earth do people send him stuff for free?
    Maybe they want to see a favorite or an obscure game featured, maybe they want to be mentioned on the show, maybe they just like guy? Maybe that's dumb but hey, it's their games to donate.

I think in the early days of the Youtube channel he took games on loan, but that got out of hand when people started sending in mountains of games.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

had an extra copy & it's one of my favorite games of all time, wanted to see it reviewed - plus he's a good dude that's run an awesome show forever now

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I pondered on this question quite some time ago and the reason I came up with is simple: They are doing it because they are fans of the show. They simply enjoy his content. Mohamed from Qatar, Felicity from Worcestershire, etc. are all fans of the show. Within the gaming community, you rarely see people behaving in an altruistic fashion. Instead most Youtube gaming videos tend to be self-centred, devolving in a "show & tell" sort of atmosphere: "Look at me, look what I have, this game is rare!"

It's nice to see a few people buck the trend of hoarding and instead donate games to someone who they know will enjoy them. After all, they are recieving his content for free and it's a way for them to showing their appreciation for the level of enjoyment his show provides.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I pondered on this question quite some time ago and the reason I came up with is simple: They are doing it because they are fans of the show. They simply enjoy his content. Mohamed from Qatar, Felicity from Worcestershire, etc. are all fans of the show. Within the gaming community, you rarely see people behaving in an altruistic fashion. Instead most Youtube gaming videos tend to be self-centred, devolving in a "show & tell" sort of atmosphere: "Look at me, look what I have, this game is rare!"

It's nice to see a few people buck the trend of hoarding and instead donate games to someone who they know will enjoy them. After all, they are recieving his content for free and it's a way for them to showing their appreciation for the level of enjoyment his show provides.
    My thought would be "what if he already has 4 copies of this and I'm giving it away for nothing?"

I figure unless it's something fairly obscure, he probably already has it.
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    My thought would be "what if he already has 4 copies of this and I'm giving it away for nothing?"

Don't forget CGR is no longer a one man show. I imagine that he gives extra copies of the game to his staff.

Maybe at some point he may hold a contest for subscribers? If I had a Youtube channel with a large subscriber base, this would be something I would definitely do.
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Don't forget CGR is no longer a one man show. I imagine that he gives extra copies of the game to his staff.

Maybe at some point he may hold a contest for subscribers? If I had a Youtube channel with a large subscriber base, this would be something I would definitely do.
    Oh Lord the thought of Derek playing/reviewing it would make me rather smash it with a hammer.

Oh Lord the thought of Derek playing/reviewing it would make me rather smash it with a hammer.
    Derek is a pretty good reviewer when he wants to be. He puts alot more effort in his reviews of Nintendo software.

However, when he reviews software on other platforms, it is of the lowest order IMHO.

If he had to put the same level of effort and care in all of his reviews, I would enjoy the CGR Undertow alot more.

I wondered how they handled duplicates so I looked into it. Apparently there's an email form for checking if a game is already in their library.

Thread Information