Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone replace the DIN port with an S-Video port?!

Genesis Why would anyone replace the DIN port with an S-Video port?!

I admit it looks very well done, like factory quality. But it just kills it for me because of the DIN port being removed. Even if you don't ever plan on using RGB, it removes 32X compatibility. So why remove it?!

Here's where I found this btw, on an ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis...item1c4f4d1953
    Last edited by roadkill; 03-20-2015 at 03:51 AM.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Poor foresight? Yeah it does look clean, but it would have been better to install it where the RF comes out of, or just drill a brand new hole.

I can't believe they want $139+$25 shipping! That's insane!

From the page:
    The red power light has also been replaced by a blue LED light.
    How original...

The volume control on the console needs to be up to get sound from the back stereo output.
    So if you wired it up to the front 3.5mm jack, why even add a 3.5mm jack in the back?

Power supply plastic casing is broken so that is why electric tape is holding it together, but it works fine otherwise.
    For $164, you can't even include a nice AC adapter?

This is the best model/revision of the Genesis you can get for sound quality and absence intrusive copyright protection startup screen.
    Seems kind of like hyperbole to me. Is the TMSS screen that intrusive? I know it makes a few really early unlicensed games unplayable without a game genie, but come on...

Only one controller is an official SEGA one, and the three included games are all crappy sports titles too...
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Wow. Your right it looks clean but I agree with everything ComradeOJ said.

There seems to be a trend of bad modwork ending up on ebay. Check out this stellar nes av mod.

Source

Quote Originally Posted by Xalphenos View Post
    There seems to be a trend of bad modwork ending up on ebay. Check out this stellar nes av mod.

Source
    Wow! I can't believe that actually sold too for $172.60

And yeah ComradeOj, I thought the same thing about the audio output in the back, he should've pulled it directly from the YM2612. I'm guessing he spent most of his time on the cosmetics of the mods and less on the circuitry of them. As for the price, yep it's way too steep but it seems to be the going rate for S-Video modded Non TMSS Genesis 1s on there, and pretty much all of them I've come across at that price aren't even recapped.

Wildside Expert

WOW!!! $139?! I'm glad (and lucky) I was able to buy a MegaDrive VA6 for 10 with 3 controllers and 6 games!!!

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Shit. I'm offering a deal in comparison with my component/s-video/stereo/overclock/halt/region modded systems, that all come with official Sega AC adapters and also include cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    Shit. I'm offering a deal in comparison with my component/s-video/stereo/overclock/halt/region modded systems, that all come with official Sega AC adapters and also include cables.
    Considering the ridicilously high ebay and paypal fees I suppose it's somewhat understandable but yeah still.

Following up on that AV modded Nes Top Loader with a damn bread board, I find the guy's reasoning behind it intriguing; "I didn't want to drill into the plastic case so I put the rca plugs on a a small circuit board and then used some stand offs that went through the vents on the back to attach it to the case." Yeah because that looks so much better than drilling into the plastic casing, he could've just used a damn TRRS jack in the RF output hole like Jason from game-tech.us does. It looks more like a first-run test console for him that he decided to sell at a premium price once he was done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    he could've just used a damn TRRS jack in the RF output hole like Jason from game-tech.us does.
    I do it that way as well. So the composite mod is completely reversible as long as you don't toss out the RF modulator.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Man, that NES is like WAT?!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalphenos View Post
    Wow. Your right it looks clean but I agree with everything ComradeOJ said.

Source
    Holy shit that is ghetto! he could have also used a red LED instead of a blue one for power too.

Ebay seller does the same in Australia to Mega drives (bye bye din socket, hello s-video). Before I looked at the link I assumed it was his and as to the price, I was going to say the typical Aussie tax.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I admit it looks very well done, like factory quality. But it just kills it for me because of the DIN port being removed. Even if you don't ever plan on using RGB, it removes 32X compatibility. So why remove it?!
    Maybe the user did not require neither RGB nor 32x compatibility.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I could understand that if the genesis was for personal use, but they very likely modded it for resale. People might be less likely to purchase it, if it had incompatible with the 32x or RGB. Even worse, someone not very familiar with genesis or 32x might get a nasty surprise if they try to took up a 32x, and find it completely incompatible with the modded genesis they paid way too much for.

Ninja edit:

It seems they re-listed it for slightly cheaper.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis.../121595926293?
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I saw a person on youtube advertising his ebay page for Saturn S-Video mods...

The mod involved cutting a wide square hole at the Batter Door and having a huge box stick out the back with S-Video, Composite, and audio. When I mentioned the mod was stupid and pointless as the Saturn AV port already gives you S-Video I got a barrage of "I've already sold this mod to 5 people so don't tell me it's worthless!!!!!" and "Saturn S-Video cables are expensive!".

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I could understand that if the genesis was for personal use, but they very likely modded it for resale. People might be less likely to purchase it, if it had incompatible with the 32x or RGB. Even worse, someone not very familiar with genesis or 32x might get a nasty surprise if they try to took up a 32x, and find it completely incompatible with the modded genesis they paid way too much for.

Ninja edit:

It seems they re-listed it for slightly cheaper.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis.../121595926293?
    Zyrobs, this looks better suited for someone who asked to have the RGB output removed if they have no desire for the 32X at all, but since this is on ebay it clearly shows this is for sale to everyone. In that case, the A/V output DIN should be left in so it wouldn't alienate potential customers. I myself actually was very impressed with the way the mods in the back look cosmetically that it got me to considering buying it, but alas since there is no RGB output (along with the high price) it instantly lost my interest quick and I'm sure others would feel the same. As for what you said ComradeOj, I agree. If someone new to the Genesis buys it and then eventually finds out about the 32X and wants one (if he/she hadn't known much about it before) then that person will be screwed and have to buy another Genesis, although I guess considering how cheap they are it's not as big a deal I suppose. Still, I just flat out don't like the RGB output DIN port being taken out, especially when you can use it for composite instead of using that RCA composite output the seller installed.

And thanks for pointing out that it got slightly cheaper but it's still overpriced

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I saw a person on youtube advertising his ebay page for Saturn S-Video mods...

The mod involved cutting a wide square hole at the Batter Door and having a huge box stick out the back with S-Video, Composite, and audio. When I mentioned the mod was stupid and pointless as the Saturn AV port already gives you S-Video I got a barrage of "I've already sold this mod to 5 people so don't tell me it's worthless!!!!!" and "Saturn S-Video cables are expensive!".
    Ridiculous!

Thread Information