Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ayrton Senna’s Super Monaco GP II

Thumbs up Ayrton Senna’s Super Monaco GP II

Sega followed its seminal F1 racer with a sequel endorsed by Brazilian champion Ayrton Senna. The game offered more of the quality racing simulation action that fans loved, and it upped the challenge level considerably. This is definitely a racer you'll want in your collection! Read our full review for more information.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

This is the best Formula 1 game on the Mega Drive in my opinion. An improvement on the excellent original and is endorsed by the legend that was Ayrton Senna who even lends his voice to the game to give you words of encouragement during races. The meat of the game is the gruelling World Championship which is very in depth and features rivalries with other teams and drivers. You can even change teams in order to get access to better cars eventually. Be warned though, to get the most out of this game you will have to put in some serious practice and learn every course and corner by heart because the other AI controlled drivers are relentless and will punish your every mistake. If you put the time and effort into this title however you will be rewarded and come to realise that it's one of the best racing games on the Mega Drive.

Hero of Algol

This whole thing here is such a bless to a guy like me.

Ayrton Senna's birthday is today; he would have turned 55 today.
    He is surely one of the greatest drivers of all time and for many people in Brazil, UK or Japan he is THE greatest of all time.

There will be drivers with better statistics than him in F1 but, as well as when you talk about Collin McRae and Rally, numbers will never express the greatness of his driving skills and his persona.
    Thanks to my father, who would wake me up every Saturday and Sunday mornings of F1's events, I was graced with the opportunity to watch some of his best races back in the days.
    It's something hard to explain to those who aren't into F1 or racing at all, but he was really something else for many fans of this sport.

As a Brazilian, I can tell you that he was really huge for my generation.
    Senna's prime was in a moment when our country was really in need of some good role models which could bring a bit of relief and fresh air to the imaginary of so many people who were struggling hard with our political and economical crisis at the time; and, much like now, a lot of our problems were coming from big corruption scandals and sheer incompetence of our governantes.

Again, it's hard to explain it to people from North America or Europe where there's a different culture and vision about the government's role in the society, but here in Brazil most of people are always expecting something to fall from the skies or from the hands of the politicians - and, of course, it usually leads our people to catastrophic results.
    On top of that, despite being a huge country, we don't have nowhere near as many prominent sportsmen as you have in US or Europe. Successful sportsmen here outside football are really hard to find. And if you're looking for some sort of good role model to inspire people you'll have a very frustrating task ahead of you (even guys like Pelé have been involved in less than pristine business and politics).
    This is the background from where Senna emerged. People may cite Fittipaldi and Piquet as previous F1 champions and references, but they never had the kind of connection which Senna developed with us and our struggle as people who've always felt cheated, misrepresented and diminished when compared to the most developed countries.

Senna had always an inspirational speech ready to go, be it in an interview at his house; be it just after a massive win at F1.
    And at his worst moments, greatest losses, he would expose his feelings without the usual concerns which big stars have; he would curse people and promise a revenge if he felt like doing it.
    He was an emotional figure, like we Brazilians usually love, but he was also massively successful in a highly competitive first world environment where most of us had always failed. He would also always carry our flag like the proud patriot we wanted our politicians and other sportsmen to be and which they never were.

His aggressive driving style and superb skills, especially under troublesome conditions, blended perfectly with his words and attitude outside the races.

Back on topic, I couldn't think of a better person to write this review than Greg Sewart - a perfectionist much like Senna was and a very wise man.
    I think the review score is way too generous with the game but I won't argue here like I usually would. I just like to say thank you, Greg, for giving us this great piece of writing and thank you, Ken, for putting it online in such a significant date for his fans (even if unintentionally).

I will be obnoxious enough to derail this a little further with some videos which bring back some great memories, but, please, cut me some slack; today is March 21st after all:

Last edited by Barone; 03-21-2015 at 06:25 PM.

I had no idea it was his birthday! I'm happy it worked out that way.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I had no idea it was his birthday! I'm happy it worked out that way.
    Yeah, it was really great.

That race at Donington Park in 1993 is considered one of his best performances.
    The first lap of that race is usually regarded as "the best first lap of all time" by F1 fans (there's a plaque on the track to that achievement), given the track conditions, the overtakes he pulled off, the drivers he overtook (Schumacher and Prost are two of the greatest F1 drivers according to all sources and statistics; Damon Hill would also be a World Champion) and the cars stats at the time (Senna's Mclaren was far inferior to both Williams cars that year and it had a significantly less powerful Ford engine than Schumacher's Benetton).

The whole thing would also contribute to the creation of "The Senna and Fangio Memorial" (Fangio was an Argentinian driver, five times F1 World Champion in the ancient days and one of the major idols of Senna) in 1997 at that circuit.

And all that happened in a Grand Prix sponsored by Sega (which also sponsored the Williams' cars at the time):

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

Such a great write up as to not only why Ayrton Senna is truly one of the great drivers of our time but why he is a significant personality in Brazil. Thanks Barone. Every time I watched one of his races on TV, I always sat at the tip of my seat, worried that he might crash. You could clearly see that he always tried to push the car to its limits. It was not uncharacteristic to see his car flinch/shudder momentarily and it was at those times I held my breath. It was a great idea to include of few videos of his races. He died relatively young and would have been 55 years of age today.
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 03-22-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I quite like this,I think the sound is an improvement over the the original which was so bad I actually thought my copy of Super Monoco Grand Prix was faulty and I returned it to the store ,unfortunately I feel that despite having better sound A.Senna Super Monaco GP II does not play as well as the original so I am leaning towards 7/10 maybe.

I didn't think the sound was that bad in the original, it at least took advantage of the stereo effects. Whenever a car came up to try to pass you the sound of the car would come from whatever side the car was trying to pass on, it was a pretty cool effect for it's time. Both of the Super Monaco games are pretty good imo. This was a good review here.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Wow! My favourite sporting hero of all and the greatest F1 driver of all time!

Great job Barone in giving an hindsight of Ayrton Senna, I also suggest to everyone to watch Senna the movie.

Can´t tell you enough how much he´s loved here in Portugal also, for me Senna is F1, the reason its my favourite sport and he will always be an inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9qZu7h5ys0

By the way, the game is good
    May the 16bit power be with us

I've never been a big racing fan but I once had a friend from Salvador that was crazy about Senna. That picture of him with the Sonic trophy is too awesome.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

I'd never known anything about Senna besides that his name was attached to a great early 16-bit racing game.
    Randomly in a package of games won from eBay I recieved a Sega Saturn VCD which features interviews with Senna, it was most impressive and enriching to listen to and watch - he was a very sharp, insightful, and articulate man.

I read an article about the production where Tectoy searched SoA to create the game, and they not only barely knew who the pilot was but also refused the idea.
    So Tectoy tried again with SoJ and they, surprisingly, were very excited about the idea and also explained for the team how Senna was also seen as a F1 "god" there in Japan.

Last year, with 20 years after his death, I saw this amazing video from that day (may 1, 94) that someone posted on facebook and thought to myself "holy shit, they were not exaggerating, japanese really liked he!"

Wildside Expert

Thank you, Barone, for the extremely kind words. I'm so happy that I got to write this review as I also consider Senna a hero.

I should also thank Kevin Gifford, who gave me a bit of insight into how crazy popular Senna was in Japan during his McLaren years.

Maxi: that's a fascinating story about TecToy being the catalyst for Senna's Monaco GP. It makes perfect sense. If you could find that article and link it I would so grateful. That's just the sort of story that needs to be on Generation 16

Hero of Algol

Two of the most moving tributes I've ever seen:

http://senna.mclaren.com/#/intro - Click on "VIEW THE MAP" and you'll find many fans of Senna around the world telling their memories of him and sending their messages.

And this (the original uploads and website were shutdown for stupid contractual reasons) (the crowd was composed mostly of Honda and Mclaren former employees AFAIK):

Making of (in Japanese, but you can see some interesting stuff after 4:00) (the original upload on YT had proper English closed captions ):
    https://vimeo.com/71398273

3D "simulation" video:
    https://vimeo.com/75685988

Telemetry plot:
    https://vimeo.com/71005569

Summarized Making Of (in English):
    http://www.creativeapplications.net/...ght-and-sound/

I found an interview with (former) TecToy CEO Stefano Arnhold once where he was talking about the Tectoy-Sega-relationship. At one point he also talks a bit more in-depth about the deal with Ayrton Senna

The interview is in portuguese however, so I barely understand any of it. Still, if you're interested, here's the excerpt (skip to ~5:45 to get to the part about Ayrton Senna):

The interview also showed a few pictures hanging in the TecToy offices. Two I found particularly interesting:

Now, on the left there's Stefano Arnhold, TecToy's CEO at the time. In the middle, of course, that's Ayrton Senna, and on the right we have a representative of SoJ. On the chance that I might be embarassing myself here, does anyone know who he might be?
    (/edit: I've come across another picture showing Stefano Arnhold together with an "Executive Diretor Mr. Sakurai", who might be the same person depicted here - but I could neither find a full name nor am I 100% sure about the identity.)

Here'S another nice pic btw, showing Senna taking a test ride in a SEGA arcade cabinet during a press event:

Last edited by Phantar; 03-25-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: corrected the timing on the video, thanks JAFP78
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Thread Information