Quantcast

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RETRO VGS

Whoa RETRO VGS

You read the title and wonder: "What is the RETRO VGS?" Well, the complete name is Retro Video Game System. It'll be a new CARTRIDGE-BASED CONSOLE!

A Kickstarter campaign is planned for this summer.

For further information, go to their Facebook page and watch this video from Gamester81.

I could find surprisingly little info on what is actually under the hood, but from the way it sounds, this is just going to be another Android gaming box with repurposed 3rd party Wii U controllers. The cartridge thing seems kind of gimmicky and targeted towards retro hipsters...

...which means it will sell millions.

Raging in the Streets

Seems pointless when most indie developers who want to make 16-bit styled games will just continue to do so on platforms people already own.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

As I've said on other sites I don't see the appeal of this. I'd prefer new games on old systems to buying a new platform that's not likely to be well supported.

It just feels like they're trying to manufacture a gimmicky collector's item.

Adding to its woes are the unattractive Jaguar shell and horrid Wii U controllers.

I wish them luck but even though this is supposed to be targeted at retro gamers like me I have no interest. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

The guy doing this keeps saying it's not gonna be another Ouya, and all I can think is "Yeah, it's not going to be anywhere near as successful".

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...hreadid=141995

Another emulation-based system? No thanks. Although I would be interested in a good, portable system (even if based on emulation).
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    The guy doing this keeps saying it's not gonna be another Ouya, and all I can think is "Yeah, it's not going to be anywhere near as successful".

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...hreadid=141995
    I know, right?

The Ouya at least had some semblance of broad appeal. This is a niche on top of a niche. If they think they're even going to approach Ouya's sales with this Frankenstein's monster of a concept they're delusional.

At least that forum link showed the type of person who would buy this, crazy collector kids at NA who will buy anything vaguely cartridge shaped. I wonder how quickly they'll have one VGA graded?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
    Another emulation-based system? No thanks. Although I would be interested in a good, portable system (even if based on emulation).
    That's not what it is. It's new hardware with its own new games. It's not emulating anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    That's not what it is. It's new hardware with its own new games. It's not emulating anything.
    My bad. From the description of the OP, I thought it would read existing cartridges from old consoles.
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

Yeah, it doesn't help that they put "Retro" in the name making it sound like just another clone console.

Seriously, what the heck is the point of this? "Uses cartridges" is not a selling point.

I'd rather build this: https://www.ist-schlau.de/hardware.html

At least it's made of actual old hardware. A crappy CPU + two SIDs + an awesome 16bit graphics chip.

That's something interesting, not a crappy android box.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Wow, this is really dumb. Who is the intended market for this? It does not make any sense at all. Are there enough NA collectards in the world to make it happen? This kind of crap is so stupid it makes me question why I even bother with this hobby. Just play and enjoy the consoles and games you already have/already exist. Idiots really need to have some new cartridge thing to throw their money away on? Just to tickle their nostalgia gland? Stupid junk for stupid people.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

I like cartridges, I like collecting cartridges, but I don't know where they got the idea that I want to go back to cartridges. Yeah I think new Genesis games are awesome, but it's because they're new Genesis games not because they're a hunk of plastic. I don't know where they get the idea that enough quality developers are going to be on board with this.

It's not like vinyl records where you can make some audiophile excuse for preferring their analogue sound. These are video games were talking about. They're digital. They've always been digital. There's no sense in taking a step backwards.

I'm looking forward to the Kickstarter. Whether it succeeds brilliantly or burns to death it should be interesting to watch either way.

They still haven't put a cover on that cartridge slot.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

I see nothing about why this would be appealing.
    It's not really letting you play any of your old games unless they are remade specifically for this.
    It's stuck using their carts as opposed to a generic format which would at least make it more broadly appealing (USB, SD, etc).

He only mentions it being able to do "up to around the PS1" graphically, which is pretty limited.

And it's pretty ugly... Why it was "smart" to purchase the Jaguar mold I don't know. I think they could have spent like an hour and come up with a better looking design, or even held a "design our console" contest and gotten way better results.

I see this being a colossal bomb on all fronts, and I despite his alluding to some big players being interested... I highly doubt it.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

His recent reviews sure have been head scratching. Why would he support stuff like this? The style screams cheap, love the comments though.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Thread Information