Quantcast

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RETRO VGS

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    His recent reviews sure have been head scratching. Why would he support stuff like this? The style screams cheap, love the comments though.
    I like Gamester81 and his attention to obscure stuff but I don't understand why he promotes shitty plug 'n plays and awful clone consoles either, unless he's getting some kickbacks for advertising. In which case whatever, I'd probably do the same.

The Retro VGS sounds like something he might be legitimately into though so I'm not going to judge on that one.
    Last edited by Obviously; 04-10-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

That game would have been kinda neat on SNES.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

... Yeah, I don't see the point of this thing either. Either make actual retro games for actual retro systems, or make new games for new systems. What's the reason for this thing existing?

Also, using the Jaguar shell, which is joked about by almost everyone who isn't an Atari fan, is perhaps a mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post

Seriously, what the heck is the point of this? "Uses cartridges" is not a selling point.

I'd rather build this: https://www.ist-schlau.de/hardware.html

At least it's made of actual old hardware. A crappy CPU + two SIDs + an awesome 16bit graphics chip.

That's something interesting, not a crappy android box.
    A thousand times this ^

The lack of listed specs make me think "ARM cpu", "Android OS". We don't need another one of those.

Mike Kennedy (AKA So Cal Mike), is a really nice, cool guy, but I just don't see this going anywhere. How about a home console built like a PGS, but with more RAM perhaps? Now that I would back.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro nick View Post
    A thousand times this ^

The lack of listed specs make me think "ARM cpu", "Android OS". We don't need another one of those.

Mike Kennedy (AKA So Cal Mike), is a really nice, cool guy, but I just don't see this going anywhere. How about a home console built like a PGS, but with more RAM perhaps? Now that I would back.
    I'd still love to see something akin to the retron 5 that actually takes the time to get the emulators done right. Baring that... who cares about a new system... anyone can build a cheap nix box or android game system.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    I'd still love to see something akin to the retron 5 that actually takes the time to get the emulators done right. Baring that... who cares about a new system... anyone can build a cheap nix box or android game system.
    That's just as pie in the sky as me wanting a new product, but made out of legacy chips.

UPDATE: I see that Michael Katz is part of this: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RETRO-VGS/783316545070951?sk=info&tab=page_info

EDIT: It's kind of sad that this product comes across as just bait for collectors, rather than something that hardware enthusiasts, and actual gamers could really get a kick out of.
    Last edited by retro nick; 04-11-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    ... Yeah, I don't see the point of this thing either. Either make actual retro games for actual retro systems, or make new games for new systems. What's the reason for this thing existing?

Also, using the Jaguar shell, which is joked about by almost everyone who isn't an Atari fan, is perhaps a mistake...
    ^ This. I mean, I can't see myself ever wanting to spend money on this when there are thousands of dollars worth of games I want for REAL retro systems that I don't have yet.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

EDIT: It's kind of sad that this product comes across as just bait for collectors, rather than something that hardware enthusiasts, and actual gamers could really get a kick out of.
    It remains to be seen. Like I said I'm willing to be proven wrong. So far what we know about it hasn't filled me with confidence.

It ultimately comes down to if they can deliver on the games or not.

This seems so stupid. It's just going to be a collectors item marketed directly at AtariAge and NintendoAge. Maybe it's a perfectly planned attempt to make something they can say is legitimately worse than the Jaguar and Virtual Boy...

Here is a podcast where Mike Kennedy addresses pretty much everything we have been talking about here: http://www.allgengamers.com/home/201...retro-vgs.html

I'm still not so sure I would want one though.

EDIT: Here is a thread from AtariAge about it. Looks like they are pretty weary of it as well: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235...retro%20%20vgs
    Last edited by retro nick; 04-12-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Nothing in that podcast really gave any answers.
    Talking about making something they think would fit in after the neo-geo, but making it HD because TV's are HD.

I just can't see where it feels it's supposed to fit in. It's not really dedicated to playing old games on.. and it's not really powerful enough to play new games on. There's nothing stopping people from making retro games on any current platform (wii-u, 360/xb1, ps3/ps4, PC, portables, phones/tablets), and they all have the added benefit of being good for other things.

I can't see this thing even getting many sales unless there's a lot more to it that has yet to be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Nothing in that podcast really gave any answers.
    Talking about making something they think would fit in after the neo-geo, but making it HD because TV's are HD.

I just can't see where it feels it's supposed to fit in. It's not really dedicated to playing old games on.. and it's not really powerful enough to play new games on. There's nothing stopping people from making retro games on any current platform (wii-u, 360/xb1, ps3/ps4, PC, portables, phones/tablets), and they all have the added benefit of being good for other things.

I can't see this thing even getting many sales unless there's a lot more to it that has yet to be revealed.
    I'm not optimistic about this project either, but he at least openly acknowledged that people like us think he's off his rocker. Perhaps that will motivate him?

He also did point out that he wants C, and assembler to be the basis of games that get made.

Specs aren't locked down yet, but mark my words, it will be ARM (or something like it).

I'm not really sure how he can't consider HD tv's, only a small number of diehards have kept CRT sets around for the sole purpose of gaming, and an even smaller subset is using RGB monitors (Europe withstanding). What's he supposed to do, pretend that HDTV doesn't exist?

I also cannot figure out where this is supposed to fit in market wise, except that Mike is admitting that he was targeting collectors ("bragging rights").

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

(having not heard the podcast or anything)If they understand that they're targeting a niche market, they have a chance for some success. If they've deluded themselves into thinking retro collecting is this massively popular thing, because it's internet popular, I'd hate to be the guy that gets that rude awakening...

I'm not really sure how he can't consider HD tv's, only a small number of diehards have kept CRT sets around for the sole purpose of gaming, and an even smaller subset is using RGB monitors (Europe withstanding). What's he supposed to do, pretend that HDTV doesn't exist?

I also cannot figure out where this is supposed to fit in market wise, except that Mike is admitting that he was targeting collectors ("bragging rights").
    Oh, I have no issues with it being HD... It's just that in that podcast it was basically like "we don't really know if we want it to be HD, but most TV's are now so it's HD I guess".

I would not mind being pleasantly surprised. But I just can't see this being anything but an even less popular Ouya.

This system needs a better shell and a different name

Thread Information