Quantcast

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RETRO VGS

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Oh, I have no issues with it being HD... It's just that in that podcast it was basically like "we don't really know if we want it to be HD, but most TV's are now so it's HD I guess".

I would not mind being pleasantly surprised. But I just can't see this being anything but an even less popular Ouya.
    Then I misunderstood you before. This console will most likely bomb hard, but I would love to be wrong.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    I could find surprisingly little info on what is actually under the hood, but from the way it sounds, this is just going to be another Android gaming box with repurposed 3rd party Wii U controllers. The cartridge thing seems kind of gimmicky and targeted towards retro hipsters...

...which means it will sell millions.

Hey Everyone! I figured I would drop in here and answer a few questions. First off, many have wondered if the RETRO VGS is going to be PC/Linux based or Android based. The answer is neither. We are going the FPGA route. My partner, Steve Woita can explain it best:

- Steve Woita -- To answer the question: "What language will games be in? " My answer is: It depends. If a developer wants to make a Neo Geo game, they would include an HDL (Hardware Description Language) file that configures the FPGA to operate like a Neo Geo. The developer would code their game to run against the Neo Geo platform. This HDL code along with the actual Neo Geo game will be on the cartridge. Once that cartridge is placed in the RETRO VGS, it will become a Neo Geo and play that game. So in this case, the language is: 68000 and Z80 code. If you wanted to do a new 2600 styled game, you'd include a 2600 HDL file that configures the FPGA to replicate the logic of the original 2600 hardware and then you'd include your new 2600 game on that cartridge too. These two files are then paired up on the cartridge and when plugged into the RETRO VGS, will turn the console into a 2600. So the language that would be used in this case is: 6507 (6502 with less address space)."

The RETRO VGS will include x 2 front USB controller ports for our factory controllers/your favorite USB controller or device AND x 2 9-Pin ports for classic controllers. In the back it will include HDMI out AND SVHS and Composite.

As for the name RETRO VGS. It's tying into our RETRO brand with RETRO Videogame Magazine which now has a circulation of over 30,000 readers AND is in Barnes and Noble starting this month -- the latest Mortal Kombat issue will be on the shelves by month's end And we will continue to use the magazine to preview RETRO VGS games, promote the developers making games for the platform, etc. It's all about bring the gaming culture back!

Since announcing the RETRO VGS, we have had interest from well over 100 developers of all sizes who are very interested in making games for this especially, now they understand it's going to be FPGA based.

To stay up-to-date on our announcements please follow our Facebook page: http://www.retrovgs.com. Also, you might want to scroll through the past few weeks of posts to get yourself caught up.
    Last edited by ChaseTheChuckwagon; 04-15-2015 at 01:11 PM.
    Mike Kennedy
    Publisher | RETRO Video Game Magazine
    http://shopreadretro.com
    http://www.gamegavel.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseTheChuckwagon View Post
    We are going the FPGA route.
    That's a *very* different thing. And good. I actually find this idea to be pretty awesome.

Do change the design please... the Jaguar toilet is... not good.

So basically this is a system that developers can turn into whatever fantasy piece of retro hardware they want. Very cool.. You could design a game, then design the "virtual" hardware within the FPGA to meet the needs of the game. Kinda a throwback to the old arcade days.

Shake well before use Master of Shinobi Robotwo's Avatar

Hearing about the game specific FPGA configurations definitely made this system much more interesting.
    The fact that it uses molds from an already existing controller and console sure doesn't do it justice though, anything else would suffice.

Will definitely keep my eyes on this project now

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Interesting!!

But still: You guys NEED TO GET RID OF THAT JAGUAR CASE!

- It's as if someone painted a really nice portrait of a beautiful lady only to hide it under a b/w photocopy of the Mona Lisa: A total waste and utterly pointless.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Wow, was I ever wrong about this project! I saw this update on their Facebook profile, and was coming here to post it myself. I have to admit, FPGA is very awesome way to go.
    My interest has suddenly spiked, and I will be watching this closely.

Mike has mentioned on various podcasts that buying the Jag molds saved him about $250k in up front costs. There is no possible way that he is going to change this now.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

If this thing is a success I hope they can release it with a different look at some point. But I'd imagine it would take a phenomenal success and/or a fairly long stretch of time before they would be willing to invest money in to change up the design.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    If this thing is a success I hope they can release it with a different look at some point. But I'd imagine it would take a phenomenal success and/or a fairly long stretch of time before they would be willing to invest money in to change up the design.
    Yeah, that's my take too. I bet there are going to be fan made custom cases.

I bet this thing sells better than the jag too.

No offense but this seems to be a terrible idea...

Seems kinda cool. I don't know if I'd buy one though. Depends on the games and whether or not they're exclusives, I guess.
    I could care less, but I choose not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Bunker, Professional Gamer
    Gaiares is number one!

Master of Shinobi

Damnit, I'd just like to have one solid clone for ANY system that is cheap, compact and actually plays the library at full compatibility. These things from China have high defect rates and are too pussy to give much info as to the manufacturer.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Anyone following the current news wrt this "system"?

Interesting post right here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235...0#entry3325199
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

I was interested in this, but over the past year, it's changed quite a bit to now it seems like they want to be a console that just plays games that are retro inspired and are being a bit too ambitious in what they want this system to do. With the price being $300, that's just too much money. The drama surrounding this campaign on social media is definitely entertaining.

I think they should have built a suped up Sega Genesis, with modern hardware, that can play the sega games (with an already built in game library) but let's programmers make games that they normally wouldn't be able to, like adding more colors, bigger sprites, etc.. though still keep that 16bit feel. But I digress....
    Last edited by bgpjr; 09-20-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Thread Information