Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have you read lately?

Default What have you read lately?

This may indeed seem strange on a forum based around video games but I find no conflict. I personally read quite frequently and of a very wide range, though much of it happens to be either history or fiction. What I most recently have finished reading was H.P. Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror", and am currently reading an Auto-Biography of Hans Christian Anderson.

I read this good book recently. I consider it to be one of the best books on the subject and a must have for anyone seriously interested in the subject.

I'll probably have to check that out. Legit history books about subjects such as that are sometimes very hard to find, too many of them have too much embellishment.

Come dance on my floor Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

The majority of history is embellished, friend.

Winter Wolves by Earle Wescott. Just felt like re-reading it, and was reminded of just how dull the middle of the book is. The beginning's good, and the ending is as well, but man... that middle third is just drags on at times.

The Howling I-III by Gary Brandner. I'm sure we're all familiar with the first movie and its take on the first book, but would it surprise you to know that the fourth movie is a different take on the same book? Yep, it is, just much lower budgeted. However, none of the movies have anything from the second and third books. Howling II picks up not too long from where the first book left off, and the third one (despite some errors in continuity) jumps to a whole new cast of characters and has only minor ties to the first two books. The second and third books are much better than the God awful second and third movies, and it's always a shame when people think they're the same as the movies. A series known mostly to so many by only the first third of the trilogy.

Currently Reviewing: Desert Strike (SMS), Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalpepsifan View Post
    The majority of history is embellished, friend.
    I'm well aware of this. This is why I often read multiple books that are from different authors and even time periods about the same events.

As far as The Howling goes, I'm not familiar with either the books or the movies. I may have to look those up at some point. I'd ask if anyone reads sci-fi, possibly Lovecraft but the answer to the latter is most likely no. Lovecraft is a bit too detail heavy and doesn't give you any idea of what is going on the majority of the time unless you read between the lines constantly which is sometimes exhausting when first figuring out his personal mythologies. I at least had some issues with it when I first started reading works of his.
    Last edited by Pixelepsy; 04-13-2015 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelepsy View Post
    As far as The Howling goes, I'm not familiar with either the books or the movies. I may have to look those up at some point.
    The books are enjoyable and not too long (around 300 pages each). They also just got a fresh reprint, so finding them is pretty easy. As for the movies, only watch the first one. It deviates a bit from the book, but it's a well done horror flick with some great makeup effects for the werewolves. The rest of the movies vary from sub-par (VI and "Reborn") to hor-fucking-rendous (II and especially "New Moon Rising").

Currently Reviewing: Desert Strike (SMS), Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Having never read crime novels before (I only just recently began watching them on TV, my wife is a fan and always has been. I got into period drama this way too) I have been borrowing some from a colleague at work on her recommendation - The DI Thorne series by Mark Billingham. Really well written and highly enjoyable. I'd recommend them highly, I'm currently on the third.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I read at the Mountains of Madness recently by Lovecraft. I want to read more of his work. I own the Dunwich Horror movie, Dagon, and probably some other Lovecraft flicks, and i had that call of Chthulu game on x box. I read the short story "who goes there" by john w campbell that is the inspiration for john carpenter's the thing, and howard hawk's the thing. I like the films so I really enjoyed the short story. Also I'm too lazy to capitalize anything bc i hate typing w touch screen.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    Winter Wolves by Earle Wescott. Just felt like re-reading it, and was reminded of just how dull the middle of the book is. The beginning's good, and the ending is as well, but man... that middle third is just drags on at times.

The Howling I-III by Gary Brandner. I'm sure we're all familiar with the first movie and its take on the first book, but would it surprise you to know that the fourth movie is a different take on the same book? Yep, it is, just much lower budgeted. However, none of the movies have anything from the second and third books. Howling II picks up not too long from where the first book left off, and the third one (despite some errors in continuity) jumps to a whole new cast of characters and has only minor ties to the first two books. The second and third books are much better than the God awful second and third movies, and it's always a shame when people think they're the same as the movies. A series known mostly to so many by only the first third of the trilogy.
    Nice! Yeah the sequels are pretty rough (speaking of the movies as i haven't read the books), but I liked the original. I'm a fan of the director Joe Dante.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    I read at the Mountains of Madness recently by Lovecraft. I want to read more of his work. I own the Dunwich Horror movie, Dagon, and probably some other Lovecraft flicks, and i had that call of Chthulu game on x box. I read the short story "who goes there" by john w campbell that is the inspiration for john carpenter's the thing, and howard hawk's the thing. I like the films so I really enjoyed the short story. Also I'm too lazy to capitalize anything bc i hate typing w touch screen.
    I wasn't aware that there were films based off of any of his work. I'll have to check those out at some point. One book that is excellent and has everything he's ever written is the Barnes and Noble "Classics" HP Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction. It even has stories of his that were only published once in his life-time, and some that weren't published at all. It has over 1000 pages and costs 20 bucks. It's fantastic and I strongly recommend it.

The Dunwich Horror is one of, in my opinion, his best short stories. It's positively horrific in scope for being as short as it is. I can't recommend "Dreamquest to Unknown Kadath" strongly enough either. I wish he wrote more "novella" length stories because those are some of my favorites.

Lovecraft is a rather acquired taste but I'm happy to have found someone else here that enjoys his work. Feel free to ask me questions about editions or stories should you have any.

I've been reading old scifi novels
    Just recently I read The Forever War, the Dune series, some Arthur C Clarke and some Heinlein, also I love Asimov's stuff
    I'm also a big fan of classic Russian literature, I loved Crime and Punishment.
    I read a lot of books though because I work at a library part time and get paid to sit at the front desk and read until somebody comes up and needs help (Small community college library, only 80,000 books)

Artie Lange, Crash and Burn. Easily the darkest and most depressing book I have read. Highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNonagon View Post
    I've been reading old scifi novels
    Just recently I read The Forever War, the Dune series, some Arthur C Clarke and some Heinlein, also I love Asimov's stuff
    I'm also a big fan of classic Russian literature, I loved Crime and Punishment.
    I read a lot of books though because I work at a library part time and get paid to sit at the front desk and read until somebody comes up and needs help (Small community college library, only 80,000 books)
    What did you think of Dune? I know all the hype but have never "spoken" with anyone who actually had read the books. I at some point need to get around to reading them.

Recently I finished Glory Road by Heinlein. It was pretty good, but I don't think it was one of his best.

I thought it was fantastic
    To be honest though the first time I ever tried to read it I couldn't make it past the first chapter
    I started it again this year and thought it was great and couldn't get enough of it
    I think the sequels are much better than the first book though, even though it is great in it's own way
    It's just one of those series where you'll either love or hate Frank Herbert's writing style
    I would definitely give it a try though, they aren't very long, I haven't finished all six though, only read up to the 4th book. Needed to take a scifi break, i'm reading Game of Thrones now.

Thread Information