Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Analogue won't get my cash this time.

SEGA Master Nameless One madperry's Avatar

Default Analogue won't get my cash this time.

The Mega SG is excellent. I dont for a second regret buying it. Even though shipping was an outrageous $40 US. When it was announced forever ago, they said cartridge adapters would be sold later(seperately) for about $10 each. For Game Gear, SMS cards, sg-1000, etc. So technically, they made good on that today by requiring you to buy ALL 5 for $50 + again outrageous $20 shipping. Screw you Analogue. I only wanted 2 of those, and that is probably the case with 90% of potential buyers. Vent over.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

When I saw that, I was also displeased. I really only wanted the Game Gear adaptor. But is it worth $70 to me? Ugh, not really. I had been looking forward to the adaptor for a while too, as they said they'd come out in 2019. Regardless, it took them all of one day to sell out of the set, so it's moot for now until they get more in stock. I'll have to mull it over.

I've been considering getting a Super NT as well, so combining shipping would at least make it more palatable.

I've never given these guys any money. They're just ripping you off in more ways then one.
    05/05/15

To each their own. While their products may be on the pricey side, they are certainly of a high quality. The Mega SG is a magnificent machine, no emulation, and nothing like the Chinese junk like AT Games and Hyperkin. And they support them with firmware updates, and service (although I've never had an issue with mine).

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Well considering the adapters are already totally sold out. Either they didn't make many or the price point didn't bother that many people for all 5. The $20 shipping was a bit rough to me as well, but are the located in Europe or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

SEGA Master Nameless One madperry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Well considering the adapters are already totally sold out. Either they didn't make many or the price point didn't bother that many people for all 5. The $20 shipping was a bit rough to me as well, but are the located in Europe or something?
    No, they are not in Europe. Based in the US. They claim they have no control over the cost of shipping, as they use a 3rd party. Sure. There is EASILY $10 profit built into that shipping cost. They should just raise the price of the item or offer alternative shipping options.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    To each their own. While their products may be on the pricey side, they are certainly of a high quality. The Mega SG is a magnificent machine, no emulation, and nothing like the Chinese junk like AT Games and Hyperkin. And they support them with firmware updates, and service (although I've never had an issue with mine).
    The Mega SD is emulation, just high quality. Their advertising it as not being emulation is intentionally misleading.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 02-08-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The Mega SD is emulation, just high quality. Their advertising it as not being emulation is intentionally misleading.
    I thought there was a difference between emulation and FPGA? I'm certainly not techy enough to understand how it all works however. But I can tell you that using the Retrousb AVS for NES games and Analogue's Mega SG for Genesis games, I've never played any emulators that are anywhere near as accurate as these to the original hardware. And that includes Nintendo's own NES Mini. These FPGA consoles are a revelation compared to what I've seen in emulation over the years.

Are we going to get nitpicky about what's emulation and what isn't? (hint: by general rule "emulation" refers to doing it in software, and FPGAs are more like reprogrammable hardware ó Analogue is right to not call it emulation)

Not like being emulation or FPGA or even an ASIC clone matters (heck, even official ones, e.g. model 3 makes some changes that breaks a few games despite being based on the original hardware, and some games are affected by whether it's using a discrete YM2612 or the integrated one again because of slight differences). They're all different implementations of the same spec. And I shall remind you that the chips used by AtGames before Flashback are actually hardware implementations, and they're infamously inaccurate :​P

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

This post is also misleading. Donít listen to him, Profholt!

Alright, Iím not saying anyone is wrong here (except for you, Black Tiger - no offense). But I also donít really see what the big deal is. I donít ever remember Analogue promising a certain price for the Game Gear adaptor; all I remember them saying was that itís ďcoming soon.Ē Besides, you already dropped $250 on the system, probably closer to $300 if you got the controller... whatís another $50?

I havenít gotten the Mega SD yet, but I still plan on it. True, I donít have much use for the other two adaptors theyíre selling with the Game Gear one, but hell... is IS only $50. Worst case scenario, Iíll just wait until itís available individually on their website (which it probably eventually will be).

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

They're charging $20 to ship a small package within the US? Ouch. I don't know how that can be justified.

I can kind of get their need to combine these into one order: Almost nobody is going to buy the sg-1000 and sc-3000 adapters, so they'd never recoup manufacturing costs on those. But... why not just not make those if there isn't enough demand? To make the complete set?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I thought there was a difference between emulation and FPGA? I'm certainly not techy enough to understand how it all works however. But I can tell you that using the Retrousb AVS for NES games and Analogue's Mega SG for Genesis games, I've never played any emulators that are anywhere near as accurate as these to the original hardware. And that includes Nintendo's own NES Mini. These FPGA consoles are a revelation compared to what I've seen in emulation over the years.
    Some good articles explaining how it's only semantics have been posted on here in recent years. Both "emulation" and "fpga" have become buzz words that the average classic gaming enthusiast have been conditioned to use as catch alls.

Modern hardware pretending to be classic hardware can be performed in different ways but it's still the same purpose. Most people now believe that emulation means software that runs on multiple hardware configurations. But many emulators are designed or fine tuned for specific hardware. FPGAs are just a specific hardware spec that pretending-behaviour/emulation/ code is tuned for.

The actual pretending that is coded for FPGAs can be and today actually ranges between terrible to great. Just the same, some of the "emulators" that are designed for multiple or single hardware configs are so good that no FPGA based emulation is better so far.

Analogue bribing/gifting youtube personalities in order to regergitate their propaganda has led the same people who insist that the framemeister is too expensive to pay more than the price of multiple framemeisters and NES/Famicoms for Analogue's imperfect FPGA hardware that still has isuues that have remained unresolved for many years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Kevtris would have honestly had my money had there been enough supply. I really don't think it's ethical to promise/advertise $10 adapters as a selling point of your console (which every story about the SG ran with), and then pull the rug out with a $50 bundle + $20 shipping... Like I've said elsewhere, this whole thing has me a little bummed because I really love the work done at Analogue.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods Ė Bit Sized, Episode 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I can kind of get their need to combine these into one order: Almost nobody is going to buy the sg-1000 and sc-3000 adapters, so they'd never recoup manufacturing costs on those. But... why not just not make those if there isn't enough demand? To make the complete set?
    Mark III has the same slot, so I'd think there's more demand than it may seem at first (from people who own Japanese Master System cartridges, basically, especially anything region exclusive). That's still a small market but definitely larger than for the original SG-1000 :​P

Some good articles explaining how it's only semantics have been posted on here in recent years. Both "emulation" and "fpga" have become buzz words that the average classic gaming enthusiast have been conditioned to use as catch alls.

Modern hardware pretending to be classic hardware can be performed in different ways but it's still the same purpose. Most people now believe that emulation means software that runs on multiple hardware configurations. But many emulators are designed or fine tuned for specific hardware. FPGAs are just a specific hardware spec that pretending-behaviour/emulation/ code is tuned for.

The actual pretending that is coded for FPGAs can be and today actually ranges between terrible to great. Just the same, some of the "emulators" that are designed for multiple or single hardware configs are so good that no FPGA based emulation is better so far.

Analogue bribing/gifting youtube personalities in order to regergitate their propaganda has led the same people who insist that the framemeister is too expensive to pay more than the price of multiple framemeisters and NES/Famicoms for Analogue's imperfect FPGA hardware that still has isuues that have remained unresolved for many years now.
    And now you're just muddling for the sake of muddling. People wanting to nitpick have managed to muddle to terms way more than anybody selling products (even Polymega ó their mess was because they genuinely attempted to do the mixed FPGA+emulation thing and only later realized that it just wasn't going to work)

This reminds me of how yesterday I was joking that if you don't have an early model 1 and a CRT you aren't a True Sega Fanô

Outrunner

I don't own a Mega SG (yet) but being these are just passive adapters, has no one bothered to try the adapter Hyperkin made for their Retron 5?

Thread Information