Quantcast

Thread: 32X games working on one Mega Drive but not another

Default 32X games working on one Mega Drive but not another

So I'm having this weird problem, some games work perfectly on my 32x but others don't. Oddly enough when I plug the 32x into a different Mega Drive the games that were freezing before are now completely fine. This of course makes no sense as it would mean there's nothing wrong with the 32x or the games? The only thing I could think of is that there is some incompatibility between some different models going on here or the 32x doesn't like my modded Mega Drive for certain games? I've not seen anyone else having a problem with a game working on one Mega Drive but not another.

Out of my library of games tested on my 32X plugged into my 50/60hz switched Mega Drive the following games would appear to play fine, at least when I tried them for 5-10 minutes each:

Space Harrier
    Virtua Racing
    Knuckles Chaotix
    Stellar Assault
    Motocross (God this game sucks)
    Cosmic Carnage
    Toughman Contest

The following games have problems;

Motherbase - Sometimes works, sometimes freezes/glitches out when I hit start game.
    Doom - Borders turn blue and the controls lock up less than 30 seconds after booting it up (or it just freezes).
    Virtua Fighter - Freezes on the title screen/character screen.
    Star Wars - Worked fine until it froze and the screen went red.

It's inconsistent though, Doom and Virtua Fighter are working fine now even though earlier I could barely get past the title screen on either. No doubt I'll try them later and they will be freezing immediately again...
    Last edited by Carnavas; 05-10-2015 at 12:03 PM.

You might need the Expansion Port terminator or a Sega CD. On some model Genesis systems there's a bug that if there's nothing on the Expansion port the 32X will inconsistently crash. Mine was like that, in fact it even happened with regular Genesis games too.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    You might need the Expansion Port terminator or a Sega CD. On some model Genesis systems there's a bug that if there's nothing on the Expansion port the 32X will inconsistently crash. Mine was like that, in fact it even happened with regular Genesis games too.
    I think I read something about that, but I actually have it connected to a Model 2 Sega CD.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carnavas View Post
    I think I read something about that, but I actually have it connected to a Model 2 Sega CD.
    Have you tried playing 32X games with the SEGA CD disconnected?

When playing Knuckles' Chaotix on my model 2, it will crash on the title screen 100% of the time with a SEGA CD attached. If I disconnect the SEGA CD, I will usually be able to play through a level or two before it crashes.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Late to the thread, but you might try cleaning the cart slot of the affected Mega Drive. Have a look at the credit card method

The Howling Wind Force Wildside Expert Kaze Okami's Avatar

Is your MegaDrive a PAL Model 1 VA4? Those revisions have some incompatibility issues with the 32X that results in freezing in some games and the 32X video layer becoming jittery but can be fixed with a small soldering job.

Thread Information