Quantcast

Thread: CD+G not working in my Sega CD

Wildside Expert

Sega CD CD+G not working in my Sega CD

I burned today a Redbook Audio CD+G. Properly burnt, because I used Nero (which supports CDG) and a verified BIN+CUE image. It plays fine in my notebook using Power CD+G Player, but Sega CD shows a black screen while the music plays. I got very disappointed when it didn't show the images.

Very unused feature on the SCD but all I can do now is ask.

Is there any standards for a CD+G media to be played in the SCD, like resolution or color palette?

Tried the Sega CDX and Sega CD, both no working. Tried also Kega Fusion, with different regions and Bioses. None of them worked.

PS: My copy of Rock Paintings works on all systems.
    Last edited by joyeux; 05-11-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Bin/cue is not suitable for CD+G. The graphics are stored on the subcodes, and bin/cue does not support subchannels.

Wildside Expert

Thanks for answering. Strangely I can play it in Power CD+G, the image and the burned CD-R, so I suppose my BIN+CUE file do support subchannel data. Unless it is not a true BIN+CUE file. My cue data is as follows:

FILE "P&B.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 CDG
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 CDG
    INDEX 01 04:04:03
    TRACK 03 CDG
    INDEX 01 08:37:08
    TRACK 04 CDG
    INDEX 01 11:39:58
    TRACK 05 CDG
    INDEX 01 16:12:38
    TRACK 06 CDG
    INDEX 01 22:19:18
    TRACK 07 CDG
    INDEX 01 26:32:25
    TRACK 08 CDG
    INDEX 01 31:02:40
    TRACK 09 CDG
    INDEX 01 34:58:70
    TRACK 10 CDG
    INDEX 01 38:40:65

Master of Shinobi

Hmm, it looks like there actually is a CD+G format in the bin/cue specs... I didn't knew that.

I don't know how reliable is that though. Not all programs have complete and bug-free implementation of the cue sheet format, and not all drives can read (or write) subcodes either (and even then you have software which claims to be able to do it, but just fakes its way through). Also, subcodes have no error correction, so you cannot read them with 100% accuracy, or for that matter burn them with 100% accuracy either. I did manage to burn a cd+g disc a while ago for testing, but I believe I needed CloneCD for that. If you only have access to Nero, try changing options related to subcodes before burning, perhaps try using DAO96 mode for burning.

It really is a hit and miss because the "+G" data is stored in the subcodes, which is very unreliable.

Wildside Expert

It finally worked with the following steps:

1) Mounted original BIN+CUE image in DAEMON Tools
    2) Ripped tracks from virtual drive using TriceraSoft CD+G Ripper 2 (though 0:59 seconds trial software limit). It generated a BIN file for each track
    3) Generated MP3+G File + CUEsheet using MP3+G Toolz (in a WinXP virtual machine... Pretty old software)
    4) Opened the new CUE file in Kega Fusion, finally showing all the CD+G glory, though with lossy audio.

Loading the original CUE file in Kega Fusion or burning the original image doesn't work IDK why. Maybe it is the image/cue format or something else.

Now I need to search for a free way to rip the full CD+G tracks.
    Last edited by joyeux; 05-18-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Master of Shinobi

I guess burning or mounting software does not support bin/cue with cd+g inside. Or, perhaps your drive cannot burn subcodes (or read them properly).

CloneCD can rip CD+G properly, provided that your CD drive can handle it. Mounting such a rip in Daemon Tools will get you working CD+G in Kega Fusion.
    I can also burn them but I'm not sure what software I used (either Nero or CloneCD), or what hardware (either a Pioneer DVR-216D or a Plextor PX-716SA). The Plextor + CloneCD solution would definitely be capable of doing this, and the DVR can definitely read PQ subcodes, but I don't know if it can also burn them back or if Nero can burn them back.

Wildside Expert

Followed your suggestion and found a very old CloneCD version in my HD. The 21 days trial is fully functional, which was great for a one-time use. Burned up the original BIN+CUE in a HP DVD-Recorder and it worked fine in Kega Fusion. I'm pretty sure it will work in real hardware.

Kega Fusion can't load the subchannel data when loading the BIN+CUE internally, that's why I couldn't see the graphics.

What I still don't understand is why the first media burned in a Samsung DVD-R Drive didn't play in 3DO, Sega CD or Kega Fusion, but is read by Power Karaoke Player. Maybe something wrong with the media or with the recording? I will try once more to burn the image using this drive with the same method that worked.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Information