Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bad MD/Genesis Games in Your Childhood Collection

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Default The Bad MD/Genesis Games in Your Childhood Collection

You know despite having over seven hundred posts on this website, I've actually never posted a thread myself, not that I can recall anyway. I'm going to rectify that right now. EDIT I remember I posted a thread in the tech section!

So thinking back to the past, I have to admit I ended up with quite a number of 'shitty' games at one time or another. I say 'shitty' but as a kid I managed to extract enjoyment out of each and everyone of them. I received Sword of Sodan at launch as I mentioned in another thread, but unfortunately the horror doesn't stop there.

Tongue of the Fatman, or Slaughter Sport or whatever you want to call it soon followed, and despite being utter bollocks my mate and I played it solidly for a good few weeks at least.

Continuing the VS fighting theme, I picked up fighting Masters on import from Virgin Megastore in '91. I know people lambast this game, but funnily enough I still don't mind it to this day.

Heavy Nova I acquired in a trade with some block and his son through the paper, I can't remember what I swapped them but I got that game along with Double Dragon 2, well known to be a fairly poor port of the original. (Luckily MUSHA was the other game they had).

There are some others I'm trying to recall from memory that I'll post here when I think of them. Nothing Dark Castle bad though at least.

So what bad software did you guys manage to accrue in your childhood? In a time before the internet let us analyse everything in fine detail before a purchase, knowledge of company output was limited, and quite often print magazine reviews came out after a game was released (at least for me in Australia), sometimes we ran on gut instinct and got burned.

Or worse still, our parents made the decision

Adventures of Might Max. Loved the toys, the game was very mediocre though.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Alien 3 was about the only one I couldn't get into.

I guess considering how hated it is, I should mention that I had Batman Forever.

Other than that, I made out pretty well, if poorly balanced(Sonic, WWF, and Mortal Kombat made up half of my games).

cyberball is the worst gaming experience i ever had. i dont understand american football and the sound was crap. id try to play it but it would stop after a few seconds and text would appear and numbers but i had no clue what any of it would mean. Completely unplayable to me.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Considered bad by most, Last Battle ... I still enjoy playing it even though the basic enemies are repetitive.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Zoop
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets

I never had any dreadful games, but I did own Corporation (Cyber-Cop). Not an awful game but it's certainly a little too ambitious for the Megadrive. I had a fair few games that we're just mediocre at best but nothing too awful.

Outrunner

WWF Royal Rumble. We played the hell out of it bitd, but really it's no bueno.

Road Rasher

Fatal Fury... I remember being EXTREMELY dissapointed with it, having played it a fair bit in the arcades... So i got rid of it and bought it on NEO•GEO instead, like i shouldve done in the first place!!

Bubsy...

So many cheap deaths. Horrible game.
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I could never enjoy NFL games. It was like trying to eat cardboard and gulping it down with a glass of sand.
    I once received a copy of some random Madden NFL game (can't remember which, they're all the same game to me). I returned it immediately and exchanged it for Goofy's Hysterical History Tour. Best exchange ever.

Another game I could never get into was Eternal Champions. I loved the artwork and the canned voices, but try playing it through a 3-button controller. I exchanged it for Sonic Spinball. Awesome choice.

Nothing too bad in my childhood collection except for TMNT: Tournament Fighter. I bought it thinking it would be like the Snes one with all the cool bright colored backgrounds but it instead was like some kind of H.R. Giger nightmare. Played okay but it was like 'Turtles go to Hell' as far as mood and atmosphere, don't mind that in Splatterhouse but not in my TMNT games.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBean2 View Post
    Bubsy...

So many cheap deaths. Horrible game.
    Yep, i had that one as well, although i didnt play it long enough to get annoyed with it!!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I'm adding Cyborg Justice to my list now that I've remembered it. Seemed like it could have been good going by the box art and screenshots

In the end it just felt unfinished, and pretty crappy truth be told. I traded it within a few days IIRC.

I could usually find something to like in every game I got but Fantasia was one I recognized as pretty bad even as a small kid.

At a later date I borrowed Jurassic Park from a guy at school in exchange for Quackshot or something. I called him after just two days to ask to trade back, lol.

Last one I really disliked was one of the Madden games, which had to do with me not quite understanding the rules but also because the rules suck and ruin the flow of the game. :P
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Thread Information