Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bad MD/Genesis Games in Your Childhood Collection

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    I could usually find something to like in every game I got but Fantasia was one I recognized as pretty bad even as a small kid.

At a later date I borrowed Jurassic Park from a guy at school in exchange for Quackshot or something. I called him after just two days to ask to trade back, lol.

Last one I really disliked was one of the Madden games, which had to do with me not quite understanding the rules but also because the rules suck and ruin the flow of the game. :P

Quackshot is one of the best ever!! Id have been asking to swap back too!!
    I was playing that on my Nomad just last night

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

To each their own.

I had, and really enjoyed, Jurassic Park.

Played Cyborg Justice back in the day, had a lot of fun figuring out the moves, and I still can't hate it now.

Same with TMNT: Tournament Fighter. The worst is that the AI is crazy aggressive, but you also get used to that sort of thing with the Mortal Kombats. Once you know how to do the desperation attacks, things even out a little.

I didn't even hate Alien 3, I just didn't play it as much.

WCPO Agent

I actually enjoyed Fantasia. I know it's bad, but I liked it.

To the contrary, I totally disliked good games, such as Toejam and Earl or Kid Cameleon. I don't remember a true bad game that said, maybe because games were expensive and I didn't buy them. The worst I've played must be Street Smart, and the worst I bought is by far Mortal Kombat.

And my biggest deception was Phantasy Star IV, because I was expecting so much of it (and I waited so long), and the story was lame. That said, I consider it as one of the best JRPG from 16 bits era, but it should have been the best of all time...

Always loved both Jurassic Park and QuackShot. As for Fantasia, I really like its graphics. But the difficulty/gameplay was insane and I hated having to replay a level if my score wasn't high enough.

WCPO Agent

The game wasn't so hard (I finished it and I'm an average player) but it has 3 major defaults :

1) there was a latency before any moves (especially jumps)
    2) hitbox are totally off (to the point it's hard to explain how it's possible)
    3) it was sometimes difficult to tell what were platforms and what were backgounds, due to them using the same kind of colors.

That said, it had its charm. But I wouldn't replay it today.

Road Rasher

I had high hopes for Fantasia, especially after Castle of Illusion. I tried to play it, but it was very poorly designed.

Default Carl Barks > Michael Crichton

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    I could usually find something to like in every game I got but Fantasia was one I recognized as pretty bad even as a small kid.

At a later date I borrowed Jurassic Park from a guy at school in exchange for Quackshot or something. I called him after just two days to ask to trade back, lol.

Last one I really disliked was one of the Madden games, which had to do with me not quite understanding the rules but also because the rules suck and ruin the flow of the game. :P
    As a yankee who has never enjoyed gridiron football (I'm an ice hockey guy personally), I apologize for our horrible sport to all the kids traumatized by John Madden across the world.
    Last edited by Jump Space; 05-31-2015 at 06:56 PM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Fatal Fury... I remember being EXTREMELY dissapointed with it, having played it a fair bit in the arcades... So i got rid of it and bought it on NEO•GEO instead, like i shouldve done in the first place!!
    Same here, although I think I got the MD game after I sold my AES version. Very disappointed. Luckily the MD port of Fatal Fury 2 was to be a lot better.

As for Cyborg Justice, it certainly had potential as a decent beat 'em up but came across half baked. If I remember right there isn't more than a couple of enemies on screen, the sound was lacking and the actual combat seemed to lack impact too. I dunno, it's been a while (like over twenty years) since I played this one, I do plan to rectify that sometime.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 05-31-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Wildside Expert Groovemaster303's Avatar

Rise Of The Robots and Ballz. Two simply dreadful games.

For me, it's the likes of Slaughter Sport, Sword Of Sodan, The Earth Defend, and Dark Castle. The horrors that were revealed to me when these games were first started, were ones that would've made Pinhead say, "OK, that's just going too far."

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

You know, I remember standing in a toy store (Kaybee's possibly) holding a copy of Dark Castle and almost buying it just because of the name. Then I noticed Galahad, which was a little bit more expensive, but it looked cooler, so I bought that instead. I don't remember either of those games being reviewed in any of the magazines back then. Seems like that was a close call.

Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge springs to mind. Oh! One I desperately want to like to this day, but jut sadly sucks: Beast Wrestler.
    "Two and two continue to make four, in spite of the whine of the amateur for three, or the cry of the critic for five." - James McNeill Whistler

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Galahad was another Amiga port. Leander, I believe, is what it was called.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Same here, although I think I got the MD game after I sold my AES version. Very disappointed. Luckily the MD port of Fatal Fury 2 was to be a lot better.

As for Cyborg Justice, it certainly had potential as a decent beat 'em up but came across half baked. If I remember right there isn't more than a couple of enemies on screen, the sound was lacking and the actual combat seemed to lack impact too. I dunno, it's been a while (like over twenty years) since I played this one, I do plan to rectify that sometime.
    In my case i never bought another NEO•GEO port again until Bust-A-Move 2 on Saturn. I thought buying Fatal Fury that way was saving me a heap of cash and giving me a few extra features... Could not be further from the truth...

Didn't you guys go to Blockbuster?

Any game I bought or asked for was tested out first. So I didn't really end up with any stinkers. But I must have been a weird kid because some of the games cited here as stinkers have me baffled. Jurassic Park, Madden, and Alien 3?

On the other hand this coming from a guy who's childhood collection included King Salmon and TNN Bass.

Thread Information