Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Heck’s 16-Bit Console Wars - Analysis of Genesis and Super Nintendo Hardware

Genesis Ben Heck’s 16-Bit Console Wars - Analysis of Genesis and Super Nintendo Hardware

Bit more scientific than the usual (inaccurate) specifications that are thrown around.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I just watched this a little while ago, and thought it was pretty cool. I think he might of gotten the size of SNES's VRAM and RAM backwards though.
    I like how he hooked the consoles up to a logic probe to measure the bus speeds. That's not something I've ever seen a console comparison video do.

And thankfully he didn't pull up that misleading/wrong info showing the Genesis and SNES specs that I keep seeing.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Raging in the Streets

Benheck is a clever dude so it doesn't surprise me to see he made a fair comparison with proper specs.

Cool video... but in these part taht hes say.. "genesis has bad grafics in a low resolution video" kills me

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Thanks for the link, I quite enjoyed this. He just reminded me when he showed his Dreamcast and asked how to make it portable - imagine that with a GDEmu? Or the PS1 with a psio? Cool...

Back on topic; it was good to see a proper comparison based on the tech, but interestingly it still boiled down to what everyone always says anyhow: One's fast and okay looking, the other's slow and pretty.

Great video! I love Ben's stuff, always very thorough and explains it very well so the average, non-technical person can follow along with what he's saying.

My only gripe is I wish he would've said "both are great consoles and there's no clear cut winner" because there are a lot of impressive games on both consoles that push the limits of the hardware. Other than that, it was the best unbiased comparison I've seen so far.

Hero of Algol

A lot of bullshit said in this video, some stuff just plain wrong. Not really that different from the usual YT crap.

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

While some of Ben's videos are cool, especially his pinball ones, he stopped being interesting to me as a content creator a long time ago (around the time he separated from Revision 3)

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    A lot of bullshit said in this video, some stuff just plain wrong. Not really that different from the usual YT crap.
    I totally agree. This was very dissapointing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    And thankfully he didn't pull up that misleading/wrong info showing the Genesis and SNES specs that I keep seeing.
    Actually he did! He quoted Wikipedia like everyone else: MD only got "bad low resolution graphics" in 320x224 while the SNES does 1080p, no doubt about that.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Actually he did! He quoted Wikipedia like everyone else: MD only got "bad low resolution graphics" in 320x224 while the SNES does 1080p, no doubt about that.
    The thing that normally peeves me is when people say the SNES has higher resolution, but it an obscure mode which is rarely used, and when it is, it is used to like fit more text on a status screen (Seiken Densetsu 3).
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The thing that normally peeves me is when people say the SNES has higher resolution, but it an obscure mode which is rarely used, and when it is, it is used to like fit more text on a status screen (Seiken Densetsu 3).
    And then they never mention the just as rarely used genesis grapics mode that runs at 320x448.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Road Rasher

1080p??!! LMAO!! seriously fanboys? I swear they're really reaching it now to the point where they think the SNES can do everything a modern system could! What's next? The Super Nintendo can actually install games to the hard drive while the Sega Genesis couldn't? Hate to break it with you but we had something like that before you guys :P and it was the Sega Teradrive baby!

Master of Shinobi

and we also invented casual gaming with Sega Net games

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DSwizzy145 View Post
    1080p??!! LMAO!! seriously fanboys? I swear they're really reaching it now to the point where they think the SNES can do everything a modern system could! What's next? The Super Nintendo can actually install games to the hard drive while the Sega Genesis couldn't? Hate to break it with you but we had something like that before you guys :P and it was the Sega Teradrive baby!
    You'd think a Game Sack episode could make from Sega technology that never left Japan.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DSwizzy145 View Post
    1080p??!! LMAO!! seriously fanboys? I swear they're really reaching it now to the point where they think the SNES can do everything a modern system could!
    It was a joke. Nobody is that insane.

Thread Information