Quantcast

Thread: No picture on Model 2 Genesis going from RGB SCART to Component converter?

Default No picture on Model 2 Genesis going from RGB SCART to Component converter?

I recently purchased this RGB SCART cable from eBay due to its high recommendations from the community. I have the Specialty AV SCART to Component converter along with a breakout box for sound, which I've successfully used with SCART cables on my PS1 and Saturn. I hooked up my Genesis to the adapter using the SCART cable, and the adapter is connected to my Sony LCD TV. I am getting sound when I boot up a game, but no image. I should also mention I am in 60hz NTSC region and not PAL.

Your TV might not work with 240p via component.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

I guess I should try hooking it up to my Trinitron CRT to get to the bottom of this, although I will have to dig it out of storage (my home is upside down right now due to renovations, which is why I was using the flat screen). If that's the problem maybe it's time to invest in an HDMI upscaler.

I got my CRT out of storage today and hooked it up to my adapter. This is the image I got when I plugged in EA Sports College Football (it was one of the few cartridges I had nearby at the moment, since I haven't gotten around to throwing it away yet):

As you can see it's a horrible mess of scrambled, jittery blue and red. This is probably why I was not getting any image at all on my flat screen. Either that, or the cable is defective. In either case, I should probably contact the seller.

I'm guessing maybe I ordered the wrong cable, and it's causing sync problems? The one I ordered was the raw / boosted sync cable, and either it's not compatible with my particular setup, or there's something wrong with my Genesis (doubtful, since I have one of the "good" 3/4 board Model 2's). I'm thinking maybe what I have to do is return the cable I bought and replace it with the C-Sync version (this one). If the image is out of sync, that would probably explain why it's scrambled.

The only other possibility is that my particular SCART to Component adapter is incompatible with 240p, but that seems unlikely since it worked fine with my Saturn and Playstation, and this particular adapter was highly recommended by the community.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

I use the same boosted sync cable with the cheap component converter everyone gets off Ebay and haven't had any issues. Since you know your converter works, you must have just gotten a botched cable; I suppose it's bound to happen on occasion. Just let the seller know what happened.

There's really no point in ordering the second cable you linked to; that's just the version that uses composite video as sync (C-sync is actually the same thing as raw sync). C-sync/raw sync is still the better way to go, especially for a Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    I use the same boosted sync cable with the cheap component converter everyone gets off Ebay and haven't had any issues. Since you know your converter works, you must have just gotten a botched cable; I suppose it's bound to happen on occasion. Just let the seller know what happened.

There's really no point in ordering the second cable you linked to; that's just the version that uses composite video as sync (C-sync is actually the same thing as raw sync). C-sync/raw sync is still the better way to go, especially for a Genesis.
    Good to know. I also informed the seller of the situation in my return form, and asked her if it sounded like the cable was a dud. I probably might as well reorder.

I already sent the cable back and ordered a replacement thinking it was defective, but just now I realized that I had the green and blue cables mixed up on my upscaler because the yellow lightbulb in my den made it hard to tell the sockets apart. The reason I didn't have the problem with the Saturn is because I unhooked everything and put it away before hooking it up again, when my copy of Pier Solar arrived. Everything would have been working fine and I wouldn't have wasted eveyrone's time if I had just hooked it up correctly.

This is my face right now:

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Lol, at least it was an easy fix. I bet you could probably sell the extra cable relatively easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information