Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games not compatible with TMSS

Default Games not compatible with TMSS

Is this the correct list of US released games not compatible with TMSS?

Budokan
    Ishido
    Onslaught
    Populous
    Zany Golf

If so, were any of these re-released as licensed to work with TMSS?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Segaretro.org claims that "all cartridges with revision 0" don't work with TMSS. I'm guessing that means that a later fixed version was also released.

http://segaretro.org/TradeMark_Security_System
    They would all probably be easy to patch into working with TMSS. I think you can also play with on a TMSS system by using a game genie.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Is this the correct list of US released games not compatible with TMSS?
    I believe so. There are other non-US games that aren't compatible with TMSS (e.g. Super Daisenryaku), but I think that's all of the US ones.

If so, were any of these re-released as licensed to work with TMSS?
    GoodGen has two different ROM revisions for Zany Golf and it looks like the REV01 version adds a TMSS header. I just tried it out on my Everdrive & Nomad and yep, the REV01 version will boot after a hard reset (which clears the TMSS registers), while the REV00 won't.

When it comes to physical copies, I have no idea how to identify which is which. FWIW REV00 is marked (U) and REV01 is marked (UE), FWIW, so maybe a Euro release would guarantee the REV01 ROM.

I'm pretty sure the European version of Budokan was patched for TMSS compatibility. I've had zero luck getting the original US release to boot on any console with TMSS, even with assistance from a Game Genie or a flashcart.

I think I've also read that Populous was re-issued with a fix, but I don't know for sure and might be confusing it with Zany Golf. EDIT: OK, if Segaretro is right (by implication), then maybe the Euro version of Populous is TMSS-compatible.

I just looked on ebay for Populous, and all the copies I see say "licensed by Sega Enterprises Ltd." on the cover along with the official Sega seal, so it must have been reissued.

I just looked on ebay for Populous, and all the copies I see say "licensed by Sega Enterprises Ltd." on the cover along with the official Sega seal, so it must have been reissued.
    Mine says that too, but it needs a Game Genie to boot. Licensed doesn't necessarily = TMSS-compatible; even Sega screwed up some of their own games.

Ah, perhaps the license happened before Sega implemented TMSS so the ROM was never updated.

My main system up until recently has been a non-TMSS, but I just acquired a VA6 TMSS (and Model 1 CD) that I'd like to use as my main system for the lack of rainbow banding. I guess I need to get a Game Genie. Will Budokan work with Game Genie?

Will Budokan work with Game Genie?
    Like I said in post #3, I haven't had any luck getting the US release to boot on any TMSS system, even with a Game Genie. The US ROM won't even boot via the EverDrive, but according to Eke-Eke (aka Eke) it doesn't trash the TMSS register, so I have no idea what the issue is. The Euro ROM works fine, though.

We actually own the license for Onslaught, I wanted to reissue the game with TMSS support
    But don't know if people would be interested on that. I think we already got the rom ready and all.

Death Adder's minion

If I'm understanding this right, a game that's not compatible with the TMSS will only boot on the first version of the model 1 Sega Genesis (without any extra effort like a Game Genie or anything).

If that's the case, I have a US copy of Populous that boots on my model 3 Genesis, so I think it's safe to say that there was a TMSS-compatible re-release of that game.

Master of Shinobi

All those games run fine on my everdrive v3 sitting on a Genesis VA6 (that is, TMSS). Maybe it's because at the time of the loading of the rom, the TMSS has already been bypassed (at everdrive's OS boot time).

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    We actually own the license for Onslaught, I wanted to reissue the game with TMSS support
    But don't know if people would be interested on that. I think we already got the rom ready and all.
    In principle that's a lovely thought, but er, the thing about that is...

Maybe if the game were substantially upgraded?

Quote Originally Posted by Paige View Post
    If I'm understanding this right, a game that's not compatible with the TMSS will only boot on the first version of the model 1 Sega Genesis (without any extra effort like a Game Genie or anything).

If that's the case, I have a US copy of Populous that boots on my model 3 Genesis, so I think it's safe to say that there was a TMSS-compatible re-release of that game.
    Yes indeed, and thanks for confirming the existence of a US-compliant Populous! I assume it's in a regular cardboard box; are there any details on the box or cart label that might help to ID it?

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    All those games run fine on my everdrive v3 sitting on a Genesis VA6 (that is, TMSS). Maybe it's because at the time of the loading of the rom, the TMSS has already been bypassed (at everdrive's OS boot time).
    All five of them should run fine on an EverDrive with "Hard Reset" turned off, for exactly the reason you say -- except the US ROM of Budokan. That one wouldn't work for me on a TMSS system no matter what I did, but the European ROM works fine.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    All five of them should run fine on an EverDrive with "Hard Reset" turned off, for exactly the reason you say -- except the US ROM of Budokan. That one wouldn't work for me on a TMSS system no matter what I did, but the European ROM works fine.
    The (U)(!) rom from the goodgen 3.21 set does. I haven't checked whether it was with hard reset on or off, but that's the rom I loaded that's for sure. BTW Master System games go back to TMSS screen when I push the reset button, unlike the MD ones (where I'm taken back to the menu directly).

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Paige View Post
    Does the model 3 even have TMSS? Being a Tec-toy based clone I assumed it didn't.

Death Adder's minion

populous box back.jpgpopulous box back2.jpgpopulous cart.jpgpopulous box front.jpg

These are the pictures of my Populous cart and box. The only thing I think that's of note is that the box and cart both have two copyright years: 1989 and 1990. Also it says both were made in Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Does the model 3 even have TMSS? Being a Tec-toy based clone I assumed it didn't.
    Oh man, I just assumed it did since the "PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD" message comes up every time I start up a game. It's the only model of the system I own, and I'll admit that I don't know enough about the TMSS to say anything more than that.

Master of Shinobi

it's not a clone it's an officially licensed product and of course it has TMSS and also outputs the best video & sound of all the models (alas mono sound). Plus it's small and draws 5 times less electricity than model 1

Thread Information