Quantcast

Thread: Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Master System Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Think you've finished all the RPGs on the Master System? We bet you haven't played this one, especially if you're in North America. As the only Ultima game to come to Sega's 8-bit wonder, Quest of the Avatar brought a entirely different take on the console RPG genre and offered a massive world with an intricate morality system. It's definitely a must-play for RPG fans! Read our full review for more details.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

One of my favorite games and the most enjoyable version I've tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Road Rasher

The review should have mentioned that the game supports FM expansion.

The game itself is mind-blowing great, and the SMS convertion is excellent thanks to the changes made for the better.

Great review of this awesome game.

There was a preview for Ultima IV in the June 1990 issue of GamePro. I remember thinking the art accompanying the article looked more interesting than the screenshots. I guess Sega of America was going to publish it, but changed plans.

Thanks. Truth be told, I've never come so close to giving a game an actual 10 out of 10 rating than with this one. If only the presentation was a tad better - that was the one reason it took me practically ages to even attempt the game. But once I accepted that, I suddenly found myself so deeply involved... this is the first game that actually made me start a diary to track my progress, not an easy task to accomplish

@Ryoandr: Yeah, forgot to mention the FM sound. The Sound of the Master System version is also leagues better than the sound of the earlier NES port. I still consider the music to be rather bland (plus, I usually play Master System games on my unmodded Power Base converter, so I usually don't get the FM benefits... which is probably why this info slipped my mind. Sorry about that).
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    There was a preview for Ultima IV in the June 1990 issue of GamePro. I remember thinking the art accompanying the article looked more interesting than the screenshots. I guess Sega of America was going to publish it, but changed plans.
    The same thing happened with Battle Out Run. It was covered by US magazines. Both games saw limited print runs in Canada (Compucentre was the easiest place to find later SMS games back then in my experience). Some copies seem to have made it to the US. I think j_factor mentioned getting Ultima IV back in the day.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 07-21-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Road Rasher

I might get this eventually, but it went down on my to get list after gog.com made the PC DOS version available for free. Definitely sounds like the better version compared to the DOS one, though. Crazy how it supports FM.

Just recently started looking into the Master System library and found out this was ported. I really want to get into it soon, but I also want to play every Genesis RPG as well. This game looks pretty freakin' awesome.

Nameless One

Great review, I definitely want to play this. Does any save data carry over between this an other Ultima games on the PC, or is it a fully stand alone game? I've always wanted to try the Ultima series; I bought a collection for the PC years ago.

Back in the 80s/90s my favorite RPGs were by far the SSi Gold Box Series. I'd love to see them ported to the Genesis, I know the engine at least was in the Buck Rogers game.

If nothing transfers between this and the other Ultima games I'll play it on the SMS via the Genesis.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarX View Post
    Great review, I definitely want to play this. Does any save data carry over between this an other Ultima games on the PC, or is it a fully stand alone game? I've always wanted to try the Ultima series; I bought a collection for the PC years ago.

Back in the 80s/90s my favorite RPGs were by far the SSi Gold Box Series. I'd love to see them ported to the Genesis, I know the engine at least was in the Buck Rogers game.

If nothing transfers between this and the other Ultima games I'll play it on the SMS via the Genesis.
    It's just a standard SMS cart so there is no way to transfer data from PC.

Nameless One

No, I wasn't clear, I meant on the PC does data carry over between Ultima IV and 3 or 5.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Something else worth mentioning, is that much of the music I've heard in other versions of Ultima IV play slower. Maybe the SMS version plays faster on NTSC systems or just wound up faster overall, but it alone makes the PSG and FM soundtracks better than the rest.

Bitd, I was trying to trigger a cheat code for a debug mode or something and that is exactly what I found. I think it might have just been a screen of text with the locations, secrets, etc all compiled, like a cheat sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarX View Post
    No, I wasn't clear, I meant on the PC does data carry over between Ultima IV and 3 or 5.
    To my knowledge, you can't transfer a character from Ultima III to Ultima IV, since these games use different stats and mechanics; the drawing of cards and manner of character creation in the Ultima series started with IV, as did the virtue system, which wouldn't have been compatible with the standard classic D&D-style character creation the earlier games had. (also, Ultima IV started an entirely new storyline - it was only retroactively established that the Avatar starting out in Ultima IV was also supposedly the hero in parts I-III).

You CAN transfer character stats from IV to V though, but you only retain a fraction of the EXP. Also, stat maximum in U5 is lower than in U4, so that is reflected as well. You can also transfer character stats from Ultima V to Ultima VI (not from VI onwards though).
    Last edited by Phantar; 07-22-2015 at 03:37 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Thread Information