Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Space Dodger - New "endless flyer" style game for the Genesis

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Genesis Liquid Space Dodger - New "endless flyer" style game for the Genesis

Hi, everyone!

I started working on this a few days ago, I'm pretty happy with it now and think it's ready for release. It's one of those games where you have to fit your character between gaps in a wall. Kind of like flappy bird.

The game is meant for NTSC, but is semi-optimized for PAL. The resolution and timer are designed to work with either PAL or NTSC, but the gameplay and music is slower with PAL. I guess this makes the PAL version of the game easier, since you have slower obstacles and more time to react because of the extra vertical resolution.

The music is from Arkanoid. It has an almost tetris like quality to it. It's repetitive, but super catchy. I arranged the tune with insturments from different Genesis games. Here is the order:

1. Buzz bass+PSG
    2. Comix Zone/The Ooze
    3. Sonic 2
    4. Kid Chameleon
    5. Turrican
    6. Columns
    Repeat

The effects on the background graphics are pretty cool, in my opinion. It's done by feeding a sine wave into the horizontal and vertical scroll registers. The rotation is pre-rendered, and consists of 18 frames. I was able to leverage the Genesis's hardware sprite collision detection for this game. The hardware detection is fairly limited, but it was enough, and way faster/easier than a software scheme.

The Control scheme is a bit odd, and was designed that way because the game was originally meant to use a paddle controller. I looked online for info on the paddle, and it seems that the 2600 has some extra hardware specifically for the controller. I asked on spritesmind, and it looks like it's impossible to make an Atari paddle work on the Genesis using software alone. EDIT: Mouse support added

You move left and right with the D-pad, and you hold either A, B, or C to set your movement speed. You can take four hits before it's game over. Your color indicates how much life you have left.

Here's a quick rundown:

In-game screenshot:

Video:
    I kind of sucked, since it's hard playing on the nomad screen, but through my camera's view screen. The farthest I've made it is to level 51.

Download link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u...ew?usp=sharing

Final thoughts:

The game doesn't work on the Exodus emulator for whatever reason. Well, it runs, but the collision dectection doesn't work. It worked fine in Fusion, Gens, Regen, and most importantly on real hardware.

The order that the spikes fall is random, but the first one is always the same.

Liquid Space Dodger runs at twice the frame rate of most XBO/PS4 games
    Last edited by ComradeOj; 09-29-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Hold on, hit submit instead of preview on accident...

Edit: I got everything up now.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Trippy! I like it.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    The game doesn't work on the Exodus emulator for whatever reason. Well, it runs, but the collision dectection doesn't work. It worked fine in Fusion, Gens, Regen, and most importantly on real hardware.
    Does it use the VDP's sprite collision flag by any chance? Exodus does not support that yet AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask of Destiny View Post
    Does it use the VDP's sprite collision flag by any chance? Exodus does not support that yet AFAIK.
    Exactly that. The falling spikes are all 32x32 sprites, and it just checks the collision flag to see if you touched them.

I didn't know Exodus didn't support that yet, thanks for the info!
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Road Rasher

Very nice. Love the visuals and music!

How many simultaneous colors your game put on screen?

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    How many simultaneous colors your game put on screen?
    I think only 17 at most. The background uses 16, and the player sprite uses 1 extra unique color.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

ComradeOj:
    I've been re-watching the video and really like what you've done thus far. For some strange reason it makes me think of stage featuring a boss battle.

Do you have plans to improve the game?

Here is something for you to consider in terms of expanding the game play.

Rather than simply having the spikes fall from the top alone, why not have it randomly appear from all sides? As a result, you will need to allow the player free movement (left, right, up, down ... maybe diagonally?).

Here is something else you may consider incorporating. I will create another sprite to act as the villain. This sprite would act as a quick indicator as to which side the falling spikes are coming from. I would have the sprite briefly appear on the side that the spike is about to fall from. In this way, you give the chance for the player to prepare for the impending spikes and act accordingly. You could even have the villainous sprite briefly blink at a frequency to indicate how fast or slow the spike will fall at.

Anyways, nice work thus far! Reped!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    ComradeOj:
    I've been re-watching the video and really like what you've done thus far. For some strange reason it makes me think of stage featuring a boss battle.

Do you have plans to improve the game?

Here is something for you to consider in terms of expanding the game play.

Rather than simply having the spikes fall from the top alone, why not have it randomly appear from all sides? As a result, you will need to allow the player free movement (left, right, up, down ... maybe diagonally?).

Here is something else you may consider incorporating. I will create another sprite to act as the villain. This sprite would act as a quick indicator as to which side the falling spikes are coming from. I would have the sprite briefly appear on the side that the spike is about to fall from. In this way, you give the chance for the player to prepare for the impending spikes and act accordingly. You could even have the villainous sprite briefly blink at a frequency to indicate how fast or slow the spike will fall at.

Anyways, nice work thus far! Reped!

As far as improvements, the first thing I want to add is analog control. I'm thinking I'll integrate support for the SEGA Genesis mouse. I don't own one yet, but I'll experiment with it once I do. This sort of game would be much better with either a paddle or mouse.

The all sides idea is pretty cool sounding. That gives me an idea. I've been working on a platformer game since early June, one that already does have a villain too! Right now the game ends kind of anti-climatically with a simple text+visual cutscene. Your idea would make a great final boss fight, and I'll put some serious thought into making it work.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Hero of Algol

As far as improvements, the first thing I want to add is analog control. I'm thinking I'll integrate support for the SEGA Genesis mouse. I don't own one yet, but I'll experiment with it once I do. This sort of game would be much better with either a paddle or mouse.
    Awesome.

I believe gasega68k could provide you a very good mouse driver (compatible with both US and EU/JP protocols).

Couldn't try your new game on real hardware yet but it seems very very cool. I like how talented you're with these things and how fresh are your ideas.
    All you initiatives have been very positive to our community IMO. Thanks a lot.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

The all sides idea is pretty cool sounding. That gives me an idea. I've been working on a platformer game since early June, one that already does have a villain too! Right now the game ends kind of anti-climatically with a simple text+visual cutscene. Your idea would make a great final boss fight, and I'll put some serious thought into making it work.
    Awesome Possum! My recommendation is to post a draft or story board of the game and how you plan to design it. Active members could toss up some ideas and give feedback in terms of the overall story and design of the game. I'd love to see some of your artwork and or sprite design. I know that in previous posts you said that wasn't really your forté. But some of us would be willing to help you out pro bono!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Awesome Possum! My recommendation is to post a draft or story board of the game and how you plan to design it. Active members could toss up some ideas and give feedback in terms of the overall story and design of the game. I'd love to see some of your artwork and or sprite design. I know that in previous posts you said that wasn't really your forté. But some of us would be willing to help you out pro bono!
    Story is bare bones and is just explained in some text in the menu. It's explained a bit more during the cutscene before the boss, but this isn't going to be a very story heavy game.

I've been working on the game since the beginning of June. Development has been pretty slow, since I'm the only person working on it, but it's nearing completion. I haven't really posted anything about it out of fear that I would abandon working on it. I've already announced two games that haven't gotten worked on in a while, and are basically abandoned. I don't want to get a reputation for half-creating games. For that reason, I decided to hold off until it's done.

Still, I'll still give out some info.

The game is a platformer type with minor puzzle elements (a crate). Instead of jumping, you reverse gravity. The game stars a pig, which I drew the sprite of without looking at a picture of a pig (lol).

There are three "themes" for the levels. The first is grass/mountain, the second is snow/ice, and the third is sort of high-tech, and is meant to take place inside the Genesis. At minimum, I want to have 5 levels per theme for a total of 15. Even that doesn't seem like enough though, considering the levels are very short.

Here is a gameplay video of a single level (please excuse the color palette issues!)

Off the top of my head the things that are or aren't done:

Things that are done or nearly done:
    Graphics
    Music
    Programming
    General story

Things that aren't done:
    The levels
    Final boss fight
    Cutscene text
    Minor bugs and collision issues

The biggest thing people can do to help development is design levels. I've been having a really tough time creating levels that don't just feel like previous levels.
    I'm using a mnemonic system to create the levels using text. Here is what that level in the video looks like

Code:
     dc.b "                                                                " ;HUD area
     dc.b "                                                                " ;Hud area
     dc.b "WggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggW"
     dc.b "W B pB  B                                p                     W"
     dc.b "W                                                              W"
     dc.b "W B pB  B                                                      W"
     dc.b "WGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG   GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG  GGGGGGGGW"
     dc.b "WWWWWgggggggggggggggWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk      B      KWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk             KWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWLLLLLLLWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk      S      KWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWL     LWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWL     LWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWLLLLLLLWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWk  KWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWWgggggggggggggggggggg    gggggggW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWW     B    b    B              IW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWW                              iW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWW   GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG  GGGGGGGGW"
     dc.b "WWWWWk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWW   WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW  WWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "Wggggk     KWk     KWWWWWW   WWW   WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSWWWWWWWW"
     dc.b "W           W       gggggg   ggg   ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggW"
     dc.b "W           W                                                  W"
     dc.b "W           W                                             B L  W"
     dc.b "GGGGGGGGGGGGWGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGW"
    As you can see, it's a bunch of text that sort of resembles the level!
    Here is what each letter co-responds to:

(lowercase for reverse version)
    G = grass
    A = spike
    I = exit
    E = upside down exit
    W = wall
    D = dirt
    L = life power-up
    P = G-swap power-up
    B = Coin
    K = sideways spike

Dirt blocks have no collision, and walls only have horizontal collision. I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to just set full collision for those blocks soon though. Currently, only grass blocks can be used as platforms.
    Grass and spikes only have their collision work if they are oriented with the player. This is on purpose, and it's so you can design levels with one-way entrances.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help design a level, that would be helpful. Levels must be 64 characters wide, and 28 characters tall including the two blank lines at the top. If anyone wants to design a level, they also have to tell me which "theme" and if they want a crate, because that info is added later.

Fun fact: Awesome Possum was the first video game I ever played and disliked.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Wow, both of these games look really cool, may be Gravity Pig should be called Spider Pig? (you probably already thought of that).

Yep, this is my first post, I been waiting for the right time to start posting, but seeing this thread got me exited for these games, good job on both of them.

Wildside Expert

I like your text based level data. Get a bunch of text levels and then create a text-to-data batch converter to automate the process.

Thread Information