Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Skidmarks NTSC patch

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Hey ComradOJ, I have some bad news: I just tried the GG code and the screen rolls right from the onset.
    Were you using the everdrive's game genie function, or a real cart and game genie? It worked fine on my everdrive, but I'm not able to test with a real game genie.
    Maybe you could experiment with leaving some of the codes out. The one that is absolutely needed is RRJV-86TN. That one shuts of the troublesome DMA transfer. The rest all disable V30 mode, which cases the rolling on NTSC.

Also, maybe a dumb question, but did you have the switch in the up position on your game genie (assuming you weren't using an everdrive). Sometimes I can't figure out why codes aren't working, then I realize that I had the switch turned off.

I'm busy with some other stuff right now, but I'll try to get it working for you later.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I'm fairly certain that 7C000083 is telling the VDP to start a DMA transfer.
    DMA write to VRAM address FC00.

For the source, you have to check the values of VDP registers when the call is done. They are usually set just before the DMA call, with things like move.w #$93xx, 4(a0), move.w #$94yy, 4(a0), etc, oy by longs : move.l #$93xx94yy, 4(a0). Things may be more complicated though, but trcing the DMA transfer with an emulator that gives VDP registers value (REGEN for example) will give you the answer.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Were you using the everdrive's game genie function, or a real cart and game genie? It worked fine on my everdrive, but I'm not able to test with a real game genie.
    Maybe you could experiment with leaving some of the codes out. The one that is absolutely needed is RRJV-86TN. That one shuts of the troublesome DMA transfer. The rest all disable V30 mode, which cases the rolling on NTSC.

Also, maybe a dumb question, but did you have the switch in the up position on your game genie (assuming you weren't using an everdrive). Sometimes I can't figure out why codes aren't working, then I realize that I had the switch turned off.

I'm busy with some other stuff right now, but I'll try to get it working for you later.
    No, it's good to validate that the user is doing everything correctly. I am using an authentic cartridge on a NTSC Model 1 console. I am also using a Game Genie. When I inputted the 5 codes using the Game Genie, I tested it with the Game Genie switch up and also down.

I just tested the lone Game Genie code RRJV-86TN (with the switch up, then down), with the same results.

I'll play around with the other codes later tonight.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Alright, I 've tried the following codes to no avail. I still get the rolling screen:

RVEA-JDE0
    NVEA-JDHG
    RWGT-JDAR
    NWGT-JDDR
    RRJV-86TN

NVEA-JDHG
    RWGT-JDAR
    NWGT-JDDR
    RRJV-86TN

RVEA-JDE0
    RWGT-JDAR
    NWGT-JDDR
    RRJV-86TN

RVEA-JDE0
    NVEA-JDHG
    NWGT-JDDR
    RRJV-86TN

RVEA-JDE0
    NVEA-JDHG
    RWGT-JDAR
    RRJV-86TN

I toggle through all the screens right up until I started the race. I did not detect any changes when inputting the different codes. Cheers!
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 08-26-2015 at 01:37 AM.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Nameless One

Hello there
    I am new to the site, but I also have an interest in seeing super skidmarks work on my model 1 with a game genie I played with all the codes you listed; and I couldn't see any difference at all with the screen scrolling If you would like a physical copy of the game to mess around with let me know comradeoj. Ill send you mine....

Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    Hello there
    I am new to the site, but I also have an interest in seeing super skidmarks work on my model 1 with a game genie I played with all the codes you listed; and I couldn't see any difference at all with the screen scrolling If you would like a physical copy of the game to mess around with let me know comradeoj. Ill send you mine....
    Thanks, but I think I'll be able to work on a patch without having a physical cart.

I'm thinking there are two different versions of the game that exist. I looked for the game on a ROM site and the version they had was a bit different than the version I made the original patch for.
    Unfortunately, this version is back to being glitchy. The menus work, but the actual game bugs out. Still, maybe you guys could try the game genie codes to see if it stops the rolling.

These are the changes I made to the ROM
    2AB3C:8174
    45f7a:8174
    15A8A:8164
    15AC2:8164
    15e72:8164
    16274:8164
    45f56:8164
    45fdc:8164
    1f9BF4:4e73

These are the equivalent game genie codes
    RWZT-EDB6
    RVST-JDD4
    NVPA-CDEL
    NVPA-CDGC
    NVSA-CDDW
    NVVA-CDDY
    NVST-JDC0
    NVST-JDG6
    RRPV-861Y

Quick edit: I'm going through the ROM in a hex editor, and there are a bunch more V30 mode set instructions that I missed. WAY more than a game genie could patch out. I'll take another look at it later.
    Last edited by ComradeOj; 08-26-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Nameless One

This might be a noobie kind of question, but will the game run as it should on a north American model 1 with a 50-60mhz switch? Also, completely unrelated question- can someone recommend where to send my model 1 to get set up with component video? Preferably someone who takes paypal as payment? If I shouldn't post questions like that in this thread also please advise.

Turricanator Wildside Expert SwampFox56's Avatar

Thanks, but I think I'll be able to work on a patch without having a physical cart.

I'm thinking there are two different versions of the game that exist. I looked for the game on a ROM site and the version they had was a bit different than the version I made the original patch for.
    Unfortunately, this version is back to being glitchy. The menus work, but the actual game bugs out. Still, maybe you guys could try the game genie codes to see if it stops the rolling.

These are the changes I made to the ROM
    2AB3C:8174
    45f7a:8174
    15A8A:8164
    15AC2:8164
    15e72:8164
    16274:8164
    45f56:8164
    45fdc:8164
    1f9BF4:4e73

These are the equivalent game genie codes
    RWZT-EDB6
    RVST-JDD4
    NVPA-CDEL
    NVPA-CDGC
    NVSA-CDDW
    NVVA-CDDY
    NVST-JDC0
    NVST-JDG6
    RRPV-861Y

Quick edit: I'm going through the ROM in a hex editor, and there are a bunch more V30 mode set instructions that I missed. WAY more than a game genie could patch out. I'll take another look at it later.
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if you ever got this figured out Comrade
    e.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox56 View Post
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if you ever got this figured out Comrade
    Nope, sorry. I pretty much forgot about it.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Puzzle Bobbler Wildside Expert smokemonster's Avatar

Great work. I'd love to see the V2 patch materialize one day.

Thread Information