Quantcast

Thread: Ristar: The Shooting Star

Puyo Ristar: The Shooting Star

Released late in the lifespan of the Genesis, Ristar went unnoticed and unappreciated in 1995. The Game Gear version received equal treatment, though it was an excellent platformer that managed to retain all the charm and gameplay of its 16-bit sibling. It's time to give this one the attention it deserves. Read our full review for all the details.

This is a good port, I played only the Tectoy version for the MS, but looks like the exact same.
    I only think they should go for Tempo Jr. route and create a completely new game, without use stages from the original.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

It's a really nice game. It helps that the nature of the source material lent well to the GG hardware and they were able to keep the gameplay intact as a result. That boss in the pirate ship took me the longest time to figure out how to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by maxi
    This is a good port, I played only the Tectoy version for the MS, but looks like the exact same.
    I had no idea there was a Tec Toy port. Did they zoom out the view for the SMS?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Ristar for GG surprised me, it's one of the very, very few Game Gear platformers released after the system's first year or so that I actually like and think is a good game... there are some good early GG platformers such as Sonic 1 and Psychic World, but after that it's a sea of mediocrity apart from a few better games like this and maybe also Land of Illusion. (GG Tempo Jr. is fun too, it's just half an hour long and super easy.) Ristar GG is the kind of game that makes me regret yet again that Sega gave Aspect so many GG titles... most of their games aren't that good, in my opinion, of course.

And as for it vs. the Genesis version, sure, it isn't quite as good, but I do like that it has an actual password save system, something sadly absent from the Genesis game. It's just crazy that Genesis Ristar doesn't let you save, come on Sega.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Password system for the Genesis version of Ristar? I don't think it's necessary considering it's a relatively short game. Having no password forces the player to master the stages. A password system would limit the challenge.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Plus you can always access the level select on the Genesis game.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I wasn't aware of that! Too old school I suppose!

For those interested, here it is:

Credit: Tony Hedstrom's "The Code Hut" http://codehut.gshi.org

Ristar

NOTE: If you're using these codes with an emulator,
    you'll need to enter the Master code, along with any
    other codes you want to use, then reset the emulator.
    Also, make sure your emulator is set to USA region.
    If you're using a real Genesis console, you don't need
    to reset the game.

ATBT-AA5G
    Master code (may or may not be necessary with real hardware).

CBSA-CAA8 *** NEW CODE ***
    High moon jump with slow descent.

BKSA-CAA8 *** NEW CODE ***
    Super high moon jump with slow descent.

ALCT-AA9W
    Infinite lives.

AABT-AEG4
    Invincibility. Don't use this code with any passwords.

AABT-ANG4
    Invincibility and level select. For level select, just
    start a new game, and you will be taken to the level
    select screen. Press Left or Right to pick the level
    you want to start on. You will be invincible on any
    level you pick. Don't use this code with any passwords.

AABT-B8G4
    Invincibility, level select, and all hidden items are
    shown with a blue star. For level select, just start
    a new game, and you will be taken to the level select
    screen. Press Left or Right to pick the level you want
    to start on. You will be invincible on any level you
    pick. All hidden items will show up with a blue star.
    If you see a blue star, grab it and the hidden item will
    appear. Don't use this code with any passwords.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Password system for the Genesis version of Ristar? I don't think it's necessary considering it's a relatively short game. Having no password forces the player to master the stages. A password system would limit the challenge.
    No way. Platformers should let you save. Period. All of them. Saving makes games better. And for Ristar in specific, the game isn't nearly short enough to not need saving, no. Plus, the game released after Sonic 3 / Sonic 3 & Knuckles, a game which lets you save. Ristar is as long as Sonic 3, there is no reason at all to not let you save. It's really too bad that Sega took so long to realize that saving was important, Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis and Saturn versions) also badly needed saving for example. Etc etc. Just because a lot of 3rd and 4th-generation platformers don't let you save doesn't make it okay! The absence of saving in most games is probably the thing I dislike the most about the NES or SMS Generation, for example... and in the 4th generation, it is a worse problem on Genesis than SNES because Nintendo, at least, had saving in almost all of their major SNES games (a few puzzle games and Star Fox don't have it, but that's about it), while Sega definitely didn't do that. But it's not bnecause of the SNES that I strongly prefer saving in games, it's because of early '90s PC games -- almost all of which, from the US anyway, let you save. European games often didn't, back then, but American games usually did, and that's what I grew up with -- Apogee games for instance. Apogee required all games they published to have saving, which was a fantastic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Cheatcodes aren't the same thing as passwords, they aren't something the game gives you as you progress through it...

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I wasn't aware of that! Too old school I suppose!

For those interested, here it is:
    I actually had the built-in passwords in mind when I said that, not Game Genie hacks. You can enter ILOVEU for a level select in the Genesis game. It's one of the four passwords provided at the end of the game (provided you retrieved enough bonus items to unlock it).

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    No way. Platformers should let you save. Period. All of them.
    Given your stated age, you should be old enough to remember a time when that wasn't a thing, due to both technological limitations and cost. Both Ristar games can be completed in their entirety within an hour. I think that's well within a "this game needs a resume feature" limit.

Sonic 3 needs the save because of your emerald collection and multiple characters with multiple routes. The treasures of the bonus stages on Ristar makes no impact in the rest of the game.
    Also, 4th generation was finishing the transition of arcade to console platformers, and makes sense you start the game all over again to improve your skills and play better next time. This is a quite clear thing in Sega games from that period, since the company have a strong past with arcade, and Nintendo not so much.

Hero of Algol

ABF always finds a "reason" to knock non-Nintendo stuff.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    No way. Platformers should let you save. Period. All of them. Saving makes games better. And for Ristar in specific, the game isn't nearly short enough to not need saving, no. Plus, the game released after Sonic 3 / Sonic 3 & Knuckles, a game which lets you save. Ristar is as long as Sonic 3, there is no reason at all to not let you save. It's really too bad that Sega took so long to realize that saving was important, Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis and Saturn versions) also badly needed saving for example. Etc etc. Just because a lot of 3rd and 4th-generation platformers don't let you save doesn't make it okay!
    Most new games today are incomplete messes requiring a long stream of patches and what you pay full retail price for is basically a demo or trial version and you must buy the rest of the game in pieces until you have what used to be a complete game ready for launch. Just because developers/publishers decided that this was something all games should and just because it's the normal thing to do, doesn't make it right or that any game not sold incomplete is wrong.

The absence of saving in most games is probably the thing I dislike the most about the NES or SMS Generation, for example... and in the 4th generation, it is a worse problem on Genesis than SNES because Nintendo, at least, had saving in almost all of their major SNES games (a few puzzle games and Star Fox don't have it, but that's about it), while Sega definitely didn't do that.
    Aside from the fact that hundreds of Mega-CD and PCE CD games support saving and that fewer SNES games do, this was not a game breaking issue that 8 & 16-bit players complained about. However, children growing up on post-16-bit gen games complaining about difficulty has been negatively affecting game development ever since.

But it's not bnecause of the SNES that I strongly prefer saving in games, it's because of early '90s PC games -- almost all of which, from the US anyway, let you save.
    I regularly see this quote from you in gamevet's sig:

no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections.

Is this not an actual quote, if so, which time were you wrong or are you just a hypocrite?

Cheatcodes aren't the same thing as passwords, they aren't something the game gives you as you progress through it...
    If you're talking about something like game genie codes, then it's true that they aren't built-in, but if they solve your problem with non-Nintendo games, then there is no problem left.

If you're talking about cheat codes that the developer programmed into the game, then obviously they are intended, even if they're non-Nintendo console games.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Most new games today are incomplete messes requiring a long stream of patches and what you pay full retail price for is basically a demo or trial version and you must buy the rest of the game in pieces until you have what used to be a complete game ready for launch. Just because developers/publishers decided that this was something all games should and just because it's the normal thing to do, doesn't make it right or that any game not sold incomplete is wrong.
    For patches, I don't mind patches, they've been a fact of life in PC games since the early '90s and overall do more good than bad. Yeah, it's annoying when companies ship games broken and patch them later, but that's better than having some unfixable patch in a cartridge that can't be helped because it's burned into the ROM as-is.

As for DLC and such though, yeah, I don't like that either. Releasing addons via 'DLC' is one thing, that's just fine, but when you charge for pieces of the game that should be free that's not good. Full-price games selling various boosts and alternate outfits and what have you via real money is an unfortunate fact of life now in games, it shouldn't be that way. But if people are going to pay, and some do, then companies are going to charge for it -- why pass on extra money you could be making?

Aside from the fact that hundreds of Mega-CD and PCE CD games support saving and that fewer SNES games do,
    Fewer? What do you mean, fewer? In terms of absolute numbers, percentages of the library, or what? Because the SNES has a much larger library than those platforms, in terms of absolute numbers it's probably quite competitive... and in terms of percent of the library though it might be behind, but I would combine the Genesis with the SCD (and 32X) and the TG16 with the CD, (and the SNES with the Satellaview as well), and the base systems for NEC and Sega have a lot fewer games with saving than Nintendo.

Besides, that doesn't really matter because my main point there was about first-party platformers, not all games. And there is absolutely no debate about who released more platformers with saving.

this was not a game breaking issue that 8 & 16-bit players complained about.
    People who are used to a bad thing probably won't complain about it because they think it's normal, sure. That doesn't make it -- in this case the absence of saving in most games -- any less bad. I pointed that out about PC games as a way of saying that ever since I started playing games in the early '90s, I expected most games to have saving because on the PC they did.

However, children growing up on post-16-bit gen games complaining about difficulty has been negatively affecting game development ever since.
    Sure, games were on average harder then, but very hard games are still made you know... I do like some things about classic games more than modern ones, and in recent years DEFINITELY play a lot more old games than I do new ones, but I like modern games sometimes as well. Besides, a lot of that change was inevitable. Console games are not arcade games, that arcade sensibility wasn't going to work forever at home once people started playing more games that are longer, deeper experiences. I think there is a place for all of the major types of games, computer, console, handheld, mobile (cellphone/tablet). And yes, I do consider saving an absolute good, something which makes games better by its presence and has no downside. Not all games need the same kind of save system --for a shmup having just highscore save and a level select is fine, you don't need saving between levels for most of them (though it sure is nice in long ones like the GBC port of 1942) -- but they should have something.

I regularly see this quote from you in gamevet's sig:

Is this not an actual quote, if so, which time were you wrong or are you just a hypocrite?
    The two things you quoted don't have much in common, so I don't know what you are trying to say here. That quote there is just about terminology. I grew up thinking of 'video games' as being something you play on a TV and 'computer games' being different, so I still mostly think that way. You won't find '90s issues of PC Gamer calling the games they're covering "video games" for example, they'd say "computer games". At some point, though, probably in the '00s as the PC gaming industry collapsed thanks to the move to consoles, "videogames" came to refer to all kinds of games. Or at least that's how I saw it. It's just a semantic point, the kind of thing I care about but a lot of people don't.

However, of course, both are kinds of games, so they are, at their core, much more similar than different. There are a bunch of kinds of electronic games -- computer games, video (console) games, handheld games if you don't include them with consoles (I'm divided on this; one the one hand handhelds really are consoles too, to say something I've said many times before, but on the other hand the realities of portable gaming make the kinds of games which work best different from a TV console...), mobile (phone/tablet) games, arcade games. Those would be the major categories, I think. Each one has things about it which make it distinct, but again, they are much more similar than different.

And to get to the point here, saving is something which I believe improves all kinds of games in some way, whether it's high-score tables for arcade games, saving your progress in RPGs or platformers, or what have you. It's not one of the things which is significantly different between different categories of games, they are all better with saving. And for platfomrers in particular, that is a genre where good save systems -- that is, to let you save and continue during play -- are important.

If you're talking about something like game genie codes, then it's true that they aren't built-in, but if they solve your problem with non-Nintendo games, then there is no problem left.

If you're talking about cheat codes that the developer programmed into the game, then obviously they are intended, even if they're non-Nintendo console games.
    Well, I don't really use external cheat devices -- I don't own any Game Genies for any platform, for instance, and while I do have a Saturn Action Replay cart and PS1 Gameshark cart, I only got them for import disc play (and save backup, for the AR4-in-1), not the cheat element. Some might be interesting, but they're definitely not intended features. For some reason for me beating a game with Game Genie codes feels cheap, I wouldn't want to do that. I'd much rather use savestates in an emulator than some Game Genie code, if I wanted to beat some hard game with no saving that I couldn't finish otherwise. Modern console virtual-console re-releases of classic games follow this same exact philosophy too, I should note -- they usually, now, have some form of savestate support, but almost never have built-in Game Genie codes. That's how it should be, really.

As for cheatcodes programmed into games though, I don't often use those, but I guess I do sometimes, sure. I would think of those as being more legitimate than some Game Genie code. But if possible it is nice to try to beat a game with only the options given to you without codes. If I can't make it, oh well... I'm not one who feels like I must beat every game I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    ABF always finds a "reason" to knock non-Nintendo stuff.
    Did you miss the part where I said that as praise for the game this thread is for, Sega's GG version of Ristar, because it has a password save system? I'm both praising and criticizing Sega. And I criticized Nintendo too, for all those NES games that don't save but would be better with it... NES Mario, etc.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

Ristar is probably the most underrated Sega character ever. I remember the rumors of making it Sega's new mascot, as they said with Knuckles.

Sega could have a great "mascot ecosystem" like Nintendo have with Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, Toad, Donkey Kong, Wario, etc.

Thread Information