Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Genesis Golf Games

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Default Best Genesis Golf Games

I've been getting golf games recently. I like golf video games, and luckily, the Genesis had lots of them. I'd love to have a definitive list, and a place to talk about the golf games. Here is what I have so far.

Arnold Palmer Championship Golf
    PGA tour Golf
    PGA II
    PGA III
    PGA European Tour
    PGA 96
    Pebble Beach Golf Links
    Chichi's Pro Challenge
    Jack Nicklaus Power Challenge
    Top Pro Golf as import ( its successor, Top Pro Golf 2, is Chi chi's Pro Challenge)
    Devil's Course 3D Golf
    World Class Leaderboard

Import
    Battle Golfer Yui - Recently Fan Translated

Any other recommendations? I'd like to get all the "good" golf games on the system if I can.

Edit: Added a few titles, updated Battle Golfer Yui.
    -Jorge
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 04-10-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Master of Shinobi

PGA III is my personal favourite, although it's pretty similar to PGA II but with digitized sprites.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

It's not on Genesis, but another good early 90s Golf game is Top Player's Golf on Neo Geo. It has a nice FM soundtrack like a Genesis game, good physics and a decent pace.

I absolutely love the NeoGeo gold games. I prefer Neo Turf Masters, but Top Player's Golf is fun as well. I was also really happy withe Neo Turf Masters Pocket. That was a really fun game.

It seems like there are no really arcade-style golf games on the Genesis, but what I've played so far I'm really enjoying.

Check out Ninja Golf on the Atari 7800 for an arcade style golf game.
    Review in Progress -

Next on the Review List -

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    It seems like there are no really arcade-style golf games on the Genesis, but what I've played so far I'm really enjoying.
    Maybe you should give Top Pro Golf 2/Chi Chi's Pro Challenge Golf a try:

It got panned in Sega-16's review but some people don't think it's that bad of a game:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...Challenge-Golf

I prefer the original game, JP-only release, Top Pro Golf just for the sake of its course presentation using 3D wireframe stuff lol:

The legendary gargoyle Road Rasher Firebrandx's Avatar

I was always partial to Arnold Palmer Golf. Similarly, I like Tommy Lasorta Baseball. Both these games have a weird arcade feel to them rather than the later dime-a-dozen sports titles that would come to infest the Genesis library. On the SNES, my favorite Golf game was Hal's Hole-in-One Golf. Ultimately my favorite Golf game for any system is Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

IIRC Night Driver has played pretty much every golf game on the Genesis, and PGA Tour Golf III was his pick for the best one on the system.

He also posted some very useful info about Chi Chi's, which apparently uses a bizarre non-linear swing meter that throws a lot of players off. Very helpful info here, including a yardage chart.

Oddly enough, in the beat-'em-all we've managed to get through every Genesis golf game except one -- Pebble Beach Golf Links is still unbeaten. There are also Fred Couples 32X and Links on the Sega CD, neither of which gets talked about much.

Nice, ill pick up both PGA 3 and Chi Chi's. They're cheap, ifbwont hurt to try em.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Zany Golf?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

What's that Japanese RPG/Golf game called? Something Battle Golfer I think? I wonder if that one ever got a fan translation.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    What's that Japanese RPG/Golf game called? Something Battle Golfer I think? I wonder if that one ever got a fan translation.
    Battle Golfer Yui?

"There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Yep, I think that's the one. I looked it up after jerry coeurl's post and found a page on ROMHacking.net, and was ready to be pleasantly surprised, but it's just a placeholder page with a review. Still, maybe that means it's on someone's radar for a translation.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Having played every golf game the Genesis (and its add-ons) has to offer, I am confident that PGA Tour III is the best title. It has a number of tweaks that separate it from its predecessors, and the digitized graphics really work well for it. Heck, the putting graphic alone makes the digitization worthwhile. Even today with all of the Tiger Woods games on the current generation systems, I still feel that PGA Tour III holds its own among the all-time best.

As far as the console games of that whole generation go, Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo consoles (as well as the SNK Classics comp for PS2 and Wii), is excellent as well. Although, unlike PGA Tour III, it is more arcade style and not a simulation. Links for the SCD is a sub-par port of the PC game. You could do worse, but it is a shell of it's PC big brother(s). I think Fred Couples Golf for the 32x is also a worthwhile addition to the collections of serious console golf collectors. It lacks the depth of the EA Sports titles, but its graphics and gameplay are solid. Plus, you get several wonderful sound bites from Freddy himself. They are dry, but memorable. As far as the Arnold Palmer and Chi Chi Rodriguez games on the Genesis, well.......meh.

Is there a reason that PGA '96 gets so much flack? I've been playing it lately and it doesn't seem bad at all. I think the swing meter is a bit clumsy, but once I understood it a bit more, it certainly made sense. Can anyone touch on the differences between PGAIII and PGA '96?

Thread Information