Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Genesis Golf Games

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    Strangest power meter of any golf game I've ever played. I constructed a yardage chart for the game several years ago showing approximate distances for each club at every meter position. It's posted in the game's review thread.
    Yeah, I had to reference it a couple times. You know, it's a real shame that meter works like that, because otherwise, I think it would have been a rather decent little golf game.

I don't hear a lot about Pebble Beach Golf Links, but I assumed I wasn't missing out on much. I recently found complete copy of it. (I only owned it loose) and I'm really looking forward to spending some time with it. It looks good, and aside from the weird ball hit mechanic where the impact point is handled with that weird scrolling impact indicator, and the putting grade drawing so slowly, I think it looks pretty good.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One McValdemar's Avatar

Anyone here that has the TeeV Golf club for Megadrive to try to see which titles offer compatibility?

142971217103329Jeka.JPG

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    Anyone here that has the TeeV Golf club for Megadrive to try to see which titles offer compatibility?

142971217103329Jeka.JPG
    I knew that it was originally designed to work with the first PGA Tour game by EA, but I checked segaretro to see what else it works with, and this is interesting....

"As all golf games play slightly differently, the TeeV Golf needs to be programmed depending on the current Mega Drive cartridge in use. To do so, the base unit allows for "adapter modules" to be inserted - the device shipped with a module intended for*PGA Tour Golf*by*Electronic Arts, which had the side effect of making the device compatible with the game's successors. Other adapter modules were advertised to be ordered from Sports Sciences, but it cannot currently be proven if any were ever sold."

They also have Links for SCD listed as compatible, but there's no other information about that.

https://segaretro.org/TeeVGolf

At some point, the box confirmed compatibility with all of the EA games:

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I don't hear a lot about Pebble Beach Golf Links, but I assumed I wasn't missing out on much.
    wait, you didn't hear much about it whilst quite a bunch of people consider it the best MD golf game? Some prefer it to pga III
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    wait, you didn't hear much about it whilst quite a bunch of people consider it the best MD golf game? Some prefer it to pga III
    Yes. Exactly what you said. I didn't know, or hear that it was better than PGAIII. In fact, only once in this thread, which is the main Genesis/Megadrive golf thread on the site, and it's 5 years old, did anyone say it was the only one they played, and people mentioned it's also one of the few games that haven't been beaten. So no, I didn't hear much about it, and if it is a game "quite a bunch of people consider the best MD golf game, that some prefer to PGAIII", it certainly wasn't something that was really apparent. That being said, I will look into it some more. From what I understood, there was 4 New 3D Golf Simulation titles, and we only got Pebble Beach Golf Links in the US.

The others were:
    New 3D Golf Simulation: Harukanaru Augusta (1993)
    New 3D Golf Simulation: Devil's Course (1994)
    New 3D Golf Simulation: Waialae no Kiseki (1994)

BUT, that means we need to add these to the list! Thanks Chilled!

Edit:
    Found someone in 2010 that said it was their Favorite. So someone out there totally loves the New 3D Golf Simulation stuff. Good on Phantom!

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    This is my favorite genesis golf game(technical/ease of game play). Second is Arnold Palmer(simplicity and arcade style). Actually these two games are very close. I didn't like the EA, Virgin, or Accolade golf games.
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 09-15-2020 at 06:39 PM.

I beat Pebble Beach Golf Links for the beat-'em-all effort a few years back. I rank it below the first four PGA Tour games and Arnold Palmer, but above everything else. My primary complaints with the game are its cluttered UI, subpar power meter (especially when putting), sluggish pace, and that it has just one course on offer.
    Last edited by Night Driver; 09-16-2020 at 02:37 AM.

I think if the US version of the game would have been cleaned up, and offered the 4 courses. Like a collection version of all the New 3D Golf Simulation games, it would have been a much more well received game. That being said, playing all these golf games really underscores just how good PGAIII actually is. It's just outrageously good for its time.

I always liked Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf. It had a better feeling and pace than the slow and quiet PGA games. The PGA games are too weak to have fantastic music as you play. Well, Arnold Palmer's music may not be fantastic but it's something. PGA games tried to be like watching TV (boring) whereas Arnold Palmer made you feel like you were actually playing as Arnold Palmer with all of his excitement and energy, plus his favorite music (again, Arnold's favorite music isn't amazing or anything).

Neo Turf Masters is the best golf game of ALL TIME. Close seconds would be pretty much any of the Hot Shots games, but those games have WAY too much wind in an otherwise perfect game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    I always liked Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf. It had a better feeling and pace than the slow and quiet PGA games. The PGA games are too weak to have fantastic music as you play. Well, Arnold Palmer's music may not be fantastic but it's something. PGA games tried to be like watching TV (boring) whereas Arnold Palmer made you feel like you were actually playing as Arnold Palmer with all of his excitement and energy, plus his favorite music (again, Arnold's favorite music isn't amazing or anything).

Neo Turf Masters is the best golf game of ALL TIME. Close seconds would be pretty much any of the Hot Shots games, but those games have WAY too much wind in an otherwise perfect game.
    Yeah, I really like the PGA games on the Genesis, but they really are too quiet. They still have that early 90's era EA user interface that just screams PC port. Even though they weren't, they strongly resemble those aesthetics, and I don't doubt they were modeled after some of Access Soft golf games of the time. There is nothing surprising there, as they were at the top of the game in that genre at the time. I agree with the Neo Turf Masters comment. That game is heads and shoulders above anything in that generation. It's just so well paced, wildly accessible, and so pleasing to watch/listen to/play. It's way more of an arcade golf game, but that's okay. If anything, I think World Class Leaderboard Golf shows you can have quasi-sim gameplay with some more arcade aesthetics. It's too bad the short game was kinda hard to get a handle on.

Arnold Palmer is pretty good in my opinion. It also strikes a great balance.

Also, I love Hot Shots/Everybody Golf. I can't get enough of those games.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One McValdemar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I knew that it was originally designed to work with the first PGA Tour game by EA, but I checked segaretro to see what else it works with, and this is interesting....

"As all golf games play slightly differently, the TeeV Golf needs to be programmed depending on the current Mega Drive cartridge in use. To do so, the base unit allows for "adapter modules" to be inserted - the device shipped with a module intended for*PGA Tour Golf*by*Electronic Arts, which had the side effect of making the device compatible with the game's successors. Other adapter modules were advertised to be ordered from Sports Sciences, but it cannot currently be proven if any were ever sold."

They also have Links for SCD listed as compatible, but there's no other information about that.

https://segaretro.org/TeeVGolf

At some point, the box confirmed compatibility with all of the EA games:
    On Links I will give a try myself, I will let you know.

Thread Information