Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putty Squad unreleased MD version

Default Putty Squad unreleased MD version

Having sold the Indiana Jones prototype recently, I've decided to part with my copy of Putty Squad as well.

The game is completely undumped and undistributed. I know of just one other copy discovered years before mine, and from what Ive read the data is corrupt and unsavagable.

I will post pictures of the pcb and game play later in the night.

I'm taking offers at the moment, but I'm looking to get somewhere in the same ballpark as I did with Indy. The only trades I would be interested in would be for unreleased NES games.

Hero of Algol

Do you know/Could you tell us about some differences of the Mega Drive version when compared to the Amiga AGA (leaked in 2013 IIRC) and SNES versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Do you know/Could you tell us about some differences of the Mega Drive version when compared to the Amiga AGA (leaked in 2013 IIRC) and SNES versions?
    That's a great question. The only exposure I've had of the other two version is through YouTube videos. I could do a quick video of the first level or the attract screen so you can get an idea of the gameplay. Similar to what I did with Indy.

Hero of Algol

OK, thanks a lot.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Why don't you dump it and share it with the community?

We encourage that here. It would be a wonderful thing to do that we would all appreciate. Heck, I'd even contribute money towards it.

-Segasonicfan
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

Please don't PM me for free repair advice.
    I only offer free repair advice through public forums as a service to the community and as a repository of information.
    If you cannot post here, I recommend these places that don't have posting restrictions:
    https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php
    https://www.smspower.org/forums/
    https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/

I know it is your game and you can do with it what you want but I want to tell you that I am very dissapointed. You told us back then that you will dump it FOR SURE and share it with the community and now this.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    Why don't you dump it and share it with the community?

We encourage that here. It would be a wonderful thing to do that we would all appreciate. Heck, I'd even contribute money towards it.

-Segasonicfan

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I know it is your game and you can do with it what you want but I want to tell you that I am very dissapointed. You told us back then that you will dump it FOR SURE and share it with the community and now this.
    Give the guy a bit of slack, at least he is not like some proto hoarders and planning on just sitting on it for eternity. I'm glad he's at least offering it publicly here.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Give the guy a bit of slack, at least he is not like some proto hoarders and planning on just sitting on it for eternity. I'm glad he's at least offering it publicly here.
    "offering it publicly"? The guy is asking for money - it is not like this is a donation of some sort. There is nothing virtuous about needing money and selling something at market rate for that money.

Honestly, if he's not going to support the community by dumping it I don't see the point of this thread. He didn't even post a price or a picture.

-Segasonicfan
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

I only offer free repair advice through public forums as a service to the community and as a repository of information.
    If you cannot post here, I recommend these places that don't have posting restrictions:

Sports Talker

It's his game, he can do whatever he wants with it, or you can buy it and release it segasonicfan.
    It's easier to demand things than to do it yourself

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

First off, step down segasonicfan, you're out of your league here. Beaglepuss (and mrmark) have done a ton for the gaming and proto community over the years. Seriously, the Indiana Jones thread on here was just fucking appalling. JumpingRyle should have been banned for that.

Secondly, there's nothing inherently wrong with passing on a proto for money that was most likely bought for an insane sum. Most proto sources know what they have and charge accordingly. Unfortunately, getting unreleased games into the public takes a lot of effort and money. Releases are far more likely with community effort or a repro sale (like what beaglepuss has offered in the past). An unreleased proto being dumped for free is rarely done because protos are expensive. It'd be like beaglepuss flushing a thousand dollars down the toilet. Seeing how he could just hoard putty squad for decades instead, like what a lot of asshole N64/64DD proto collectors do, I think beaglepuss deserves respect for even offering it for sale.

If you really want putty squad that badly, buy it from him and release it yourself.

Proto collectors have pointed out time and time again, the situation changes drastically when the shoe is in the other foot.

It still irks me when people use "undumped" as a selling point to justify a higher price. They say data doesn't exist unless it is in three places, so having it undumped is just a liability rather than a positive attribute in my book.

That being said I was involved in a huge argument about this sort of thing at AssemblerGames a long time ago. I originally felt the same as segasonicfan, but in the end, I changed my mind and agreed that ultimately it is up to the owner what they do with the game. It feels disappointing to some, but it does make sense.
    Last edited by Qjimbo; 09-01-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qjimbo View Post
    It still irks me when people use "undumped" as a selling point to justify a higher price. They say data doesn't exist unless it is in three places, so having it undumped is just a liability rather than a positive attribute in my book.

That being said I was involved in a huge argument about this sort of thing at AssemblerGames a long time ago. I originally felt the same as segasonicfan, but in the end, I changed my mind and agreed that ultimately it is up to the owner what they do with the game. It feels disappointing to some, but it does make sense.
    I agree 100% - it is up to the owner to do what they want. I just said we encourage people to dump and share with the community. And not posting an image or price is generally looked down upon in gaming forums - some will even ban you for this (I think that is too extreme though).

Guntz, chill out I'm not attacking anyone here. I'm just saying I support dumping this game and would offer money towards it. Not demanding anything here, it's his game to do with as he pleases.

-Segasonicfan
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

I was waiting to post pictures once I got the video squared away. I apologize for the delay.

As for dumping and releasing it for free, it's something I've done for Genesis titles in the past (Swamp Thing, Beast Ball, Danny Sullivan, Dragon's Lair, and another platformer who's title escapes me at the moment). I've literally released enough unreleased titles over the years that I've forgotten their names.

After the fallout from Indy, it's really not worth the headache.

Everyone that knows me knows that I try and get stuff out there. I always preserve the data privately, so nothing is disappearing. I delete the data once the game has changed hands and I know that it's not lost (just as I did with Indy).

Feel free to post any other questions here of via PM. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    As for dumping and releasing it for free, it's something I've done for Genesis titles in the past (Swamp Thing, Beast Ball, Danny Sullivan, Dragon's Lair, and another platformer who's title escapes me at the moment). I've literally released enough unreleased titles over the years that I've forgotten their names.
    I guess you mean Time Trax, although that's more of an action sidescroller rather than a platformer.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    I guess you mean Time Trax, although that's more of an action sidescroller rather than a platformer.
    Thank you, that's exactly what I meant. I also agree with your description.

Thread Information