Music transposition, instrument creation
    More tileset graphics and palettes
    Parallax backdrops
    CP Orbs
    Enemy graphics conversion, palette creation
    Enemy pattern implementation
    Pause menu
    Title screen
    Special level objects (dog, cow, bird egg, etc)

TODO:
    Large orange cube
    Boss fights
    Ending
    Options screen

Stay tuned.

NOTE: I am porting this existing PC game; the original game design is not mine. The creator's website is bogozone.net.
    Last edited by Bibin; 11-15-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Wow, this is something I look forward to seeing in action. I tried you PC version, and I enjoyed that.

Maybe I'm being stupid (and this might be the wrong place to ask), but is there a way to change the controls on the PC version?

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

^gamepad with a mapper, like Joy2key(I don't know if there are any really good completely free ones, but that one doesn't lose any functionality in it's shareware version yet).

The game itself looks like it might be more at home on the Master System, but I don't know what would fit in a MS cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Wow, this is something I look forward to seeing in action. I tried you PC version, and I enjoyed that.

Maybe I'm being stupid (and this might be the wrong place to ask), but is there a way to change the controls on the PC version?
    In the options it shows a few keys you can hit to change the input scheme.

I want to point out this is not my game, I am porting someone else's game. His website is http://bogozone.net.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    The game itself looks like it might be more at home on the Master System, but I don't know what would fit in a MS cartridge.
    Right now it looks pretty master-system-y, but I haven't put in the parallax BGs. The game uses far too many sprites for an SMS game, and the multi-directional scrolling would be not so good on the SMS. The music will be an interesting challenge to bring over.

It was a big challenge to fit everything in the four palettes. I've dedicated one palette to the foreground graphics, one to the background graphics, one to the player, cubes, and HUD, and the remaining palette to more case-specific enemies. The room loader figures out which tileset and palette pairs it should load when a room is entered.

Hero of Algol

Very cool, Bibin! Thanks a lot for sharing it.

And what about the Ghost in the Machine for the Mega Drive? It looked really good in those screenshots you had post months ago, I was looking forward to play that one.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Very cool, Bibin! Thanks a lot for sharing it.

And what about the Ghost in the Machine for the Mega Drive? It looked really good in those screenshots you had post months ago, I was looking forward to play that one.

Same here. Ghost in the Machine looked very intriguing. This Lyle in Cube Sector is looking cool too.

Honestly after working on the game for about three years and spending the last month refactoring and doing the mobile port, I'm just sick of even looking at the game. I picked this project up again because I want to work on something that is a very different game, and has lots of colors in it!

I'll keep the thread updated with progress. Maybe, some day I can take some of the work i've done on this and apply it to GitM. That was my first real genesis work and it shows in how things are arranged. I didn't have a DMA queue of any sort, and the scrolling was very buggy.

Hero of Algol

Oh, OK, man. Thanks for the reply and good luck with this one.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I really like the 8 bit graphics! I just watched a quick Youtube video of the PC game and I must say that the music is quite catchy. The Genesis may be a 16 bit system but I hope we see more 8 bit style games make their way to the console.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Worked on cubes last night: https://youtu.be/aJj2QdOOeFI

Hero of Algol

It looks superb IMO and it's coming from a guy who doesn't dig 8-bit graphics.

It's modern but very classy at the same time IMO. Doesn't look like a regular MD game, fantastic.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
    Worked on cubes last night: https://youtu.be/aJj2QdOOeFI
    Looks great Bibin! I like how the character gets a bit more lift when he`s in the air and tosses the cube! Platformer on the MD? HELL YA!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I've made more progress on this. Cubes in a room may now be picked up, kicked, thrown, etc. All that's left for cubes is the big orange ones, and having the green ones bounce instead of be destroyed. The cubes are the biggest piece of work for this whole thing still remaining. The rest will be implementing the object list in my level editor, putting in enemy behaviors, door links, etc. Important but small things.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

That looks gorgeous !!!
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Looks like a good choice for porting, not without challenges but not bathed in bloom effect like so many retro "style" games, I can see the potential in porting it accurately. Wasn't digging the all black backgrounds but I see from videos that changes throughout the game with a nice bit of parallax.

I like the block throwing mechanic, especially the straight down to make platforms part, surprised more platformers don't do that. It's funky like many classic games but at least it's not overly self aware and making references to other retro games every 10 seconds. I figure being retro is enough, you don't have to beat people over the head with it.

A great addition to the MD/GEN library, look forward to it.

Thread Information