View Poll Results: Genesis or Mega Drive

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genesis

72 47.06%
  • Mega Drive

81 52.94%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you prefer - Genesis or Mega Drive?

Default What do you prefer - Genesis or Mega Drive?

Obviously we'll all be a little biased towards what we grew up with.

I prefer Mega Drive because it sounds badass, powerful and cutting edge. Plus it's such a fitting name for the time the console was around.

How about Mega CD or Sega CD? I don't really have a preference here, Mega CD once again sounds cool and powerful but Sega CD sounds professional and refined. So they are equally great IMO.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Mega Drive, for the same reasons the OP stated. Genesis doesn't have enought punch to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I was pretty sick of the NES when the Genesis came out. I wanted something new and the name Genesis fit pretty well. Nintendo dominated everything back then. Sega was sort of a joke at least on the console front in the US. Genesis was like saying this is New! Different! Also name meaning a beginning may subconsciously eased peoples fears of buy a non Nintendo console. Mega Drive doesn't bad but I think using the name Genesis was almost like declaring war on Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard View Post
    I was pretty sick of the NES when the Genesis came out. I wanted something new and the name Genesis fit pretty well. Nintendo dominated everything back then. Sega was sort of a joke at least on the console front in the US. Genesis was like saying this is New! Different! Also name meaning a beginning may subconsciously eased peoples fears of buy a non Nintendo console. Mega Drive doesn't bad but I think using the name Genesis was almost like declaring war on Nintendo.
    How so?

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

All my consoles say Genesis, as do my games. I associate Mega Drive with imports. It's better that way.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shrap View Post
    How so?
    By Sega using a name that brought to mind something that was new and fresh they also were calling their competition old and stale at the same time albeit in a roundabout way.

Mega Drive - it's the original name, it's chosen to fit the actual hardware, it sounds cool and it is not biblical. Win x 4!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Genesis.
    Mega Drive sounds like a computer. Also Sega Mega Drive, rhymes too much. Sega Genesis rolls off the tongue better.
    Plus GENESIS does what nintendon't!

I voted Mega! While the Genesis name is okay, it doesn't have the appeal that Mega Drive does. Genesis was what Sega settled for after they couldn't get the name they REALLY wanted in the US.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I much prefer the Genesis name, especially when it is in its original chiseled form. Also, I never saw the name as "biblical" since it would be misused as such. I saw "modern and revolutionary" when I saw the name originally. Which would be the exact opposite of the "in the beginning" book you all hate to love.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, .... would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

"Sega tried to have similarly strict licensing agreements as Nintendo...The only reason it didn't take off was because EA..." TrekkiesUnite

I like Genesis better. The first image I got of the name was the Sega Genesis logo with the Altered beast wolf under it. That image kicks some serious ass. Plus, I had no clue the Genesis was named different in other countries (No Internet access until late 90's).

Regards.

Megadrive Owner Since1991 Wildside Expert

I am from the UK, and prefer the mega drive name.

I just wish we had 60hz back in the day!

If it wasn't for the legal issues in NA, we wouldn't be having this question in the first place.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

I much prefer the Genesis tag.
    I've always kinda thought of it as meaning the "beginning" or "birth" of this new and awesome bad-ass console system.
    The name 'Mega Drive' does nothing for me. Sounds like some kind of golf shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Family Computer or Nintendo Entertainment System?

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

MegaDrive. But I like hearing Genesis shortened to Genny. Puts me in mind of a 40s style beauty riding a 32X as if painted on the side of B17 bomber or similar. Called Jenny of course.

Thread Information