Quantcast

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Barone's Hacking Corner

Hey Barone any updates?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    Hey Barone any updates?
    Yes, my friend.

I've been working on the main in-game rendering routine, which has lots of subroutine calls.
    I've made some very good progress on it lately.

When I first started this project I thought that I could optimize the code only by replacing the "expensive" instructions with "cheap" ones when possible but there's several ways to improve performance:
    - Make the most of MOVEQ, ADDQ and SUBQ instructions;
    - Replace JSR/RTS pairs for JMP/JMP pairs when possible;
    - Try to use PC-based addressing for JMP and JSR when explicit memory addressing seems to be the only way to go;
    - Try to eliminate multiple RTS calls when jumping back;
    - Use address registers whenever you need to access memory;
    - Use data registers to hold and move address values when you run out of address registers;
    - Use address registers' auto increment as much as possible;
    - Analyze the flow of the program and take advantage of previously loaded data in the registers;
    - Reduce the number of jumps in the code (this is very difficult to apply without having access to the original code but it's a good concept to have in mind)

It already feels less sluggish than the original version but further improvements are being implemented.
    Last edited by Barone; 12-03-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Banned by Administrators

So you do hacks too? But instead of putting it in your sig for others to know and find, you reserve you sig for trash... why, Barone, why?

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

haha, yeah...just seeing the awesome ambition of this list, and here dude is with the wall of shame in his sig instead

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Yes, my friend.
    It already feels less sluggish than the original version but further improvements are being implemented.
    that is awesome, great job on all your work!

Outrunner

Yes, my friend.

I've been working on the main in-game rendering routine, which has lots of subroutine calls.
    I've made some very good progress on it lately.

When I first started this project I thought that I could optimize the code only by replacing the "expensive" instructions with "cheap" ones when possible but there's several ways to improve performance:
    - Make the most of MOVEQ, ADDQ and SUBQ instructions;
    - Replace JSR/RTS pairs for JMP/JMP pairs when possible;
    - Try to use PC-based addressing for JMP and JSR when explicit memory addressing seems to be the only way to go;
    - Try to eliminate multiple RTS calls when jumping back;
    - Use address registers whenever you need to access memory;
    - Use data registers to hold and move address values when you run out of address registers;
    - Use address registers' auto increment as much as possible;
    - Analyze the flow of the program and take advantage of previously loaded data in the registers;
    - Reduce the number of jumps in the code (this is very difficult to apply without having access to the original code but it's a good concept to have in mind)

Wow, amazing... And... maybe on the future but... could it be possible to edit the game? I mean, levels, and so on?

I don't remember in which topic here, but someone suggested some time ago about create a hack of Space Harrier 32X and include the extra last stage/boss of the 3DS port.
    Also, just remembered now other thing playing the original Ghouls'n Ghosts in the PSP: include the opening from the arcade in the MD port. Also, from what I remember of it, the game can be improved a bit more with a few color changes.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Wow, amazing... And... maybe on the future but... could it be possible to edit the game? I mean, levels, and so on?
    It should be possible IMO. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by maxi View Post
    I don't remember in which topic here, but someone suggested some time ago about create a hack of Space Harrier 32X and include the extra last stage/boss of the 3DS port.
    Also, just remembered now other thing playing the original Ghouls'n Ghosts in the PSP: include the opening from the arcade in the MD port. Also, from what I remember of it, the game can be improved a bit more with a few color changes.
    I don't think Space Harrier 32X needs hacking and that one would be tough for little gain IMO. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    tryphon has a very interesting project related to GnG, so I'm not touching that one.

Last edited by Barone; 01-15-2016 at 02:43 AM.

Barone, it's possible to include Prince of Persia 2 bug correction in your list?

Linkuei open one thread about this game.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-2-(Proto)-Bug

I had already posted this information before, but I believe you did not see.

Looking good Barone, you are one step closer to putting the 32X version to shame.

Are you intending to apply this same color hack to the Mega-CD version too?
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Hero of Algol

Thanks for the feedback, Wesker.
    Yes, it will be applied to the Sega CD version as well. That's the one I usually play, to be honest. I love the soundtrack and the ambient sounds.

I really want to see Lotus II Recs after you finish Super Hang On and Corporation
    This game really need some improvements in the sound (Engine+Music) and in the color palette (easy to fix)
    +insert a better Engine sound, like the Engine sound from Super Monaco GP 2 or untill, Top Gear 2.
    +Engine+Music sound
    +Color Palette (easy to fix)
    +Option to change 2P car or the color palette
    +Optimization in the code to make the game faster and with better FPS
    +A way to make the hidden game available without the password
    +make available the unused music found in the code and change some instrument patchs to sound better and more accurate to the original AMIGA music:
    https://tcrf.net/Lotus_II:_RECS
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

very good barone!

sega cd version just have bether sound or got any other upgrade?

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Barone, it's possible to include Prince of Persia 2 bug correction in your list?
    Linkuei open one thread about this game.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-2-(Proto)-Bug
    I had already posted this information before, but I believe you did not see.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    I really want to see Lotus II Recs after you finish Super Hang On and Corporation
    This game really need some improvements in the sound (Engine+Music) and in the color palette (easy to fix)
    +insert a better Engine sound, like the Engine sound from Super Monaco GP 2 or untill, Top Gear 2.
    +Engine+Music sound
    +Color Palette (easy to fix)
    +Option to change 2P car or the color palette
    +Optimization in the code to make the game faster and with better FPS
    +A way to make the hidden game available without the password
    +make available the unused music found in the code and change some instrument patchs to sound better and more accurate to the original AMIGA music:
    https://tcrf.net/Lotus_II:_RECS
    I'll see about that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    very good barone!
    sega cd version just have bether sound or got any other upgrade?
    Thanks.
    Yes, it has three more stages as well. But the sound improvement is HUGE IMO.

Back to the Super Hang-On discussion, this segment from a 1UP interview with Yu Suzuki is very interesting IMO:
    JM: What made you want to make 3D games in the first place? You made the racing game Power Drift, which used 2D sprites to simulate 3D, but then Virtua Racing was the first one to use polygons, which added a realism that you couldn't achieve with 2D.

YS:
    My designs were always 3D from the beginning. All the calculations in the system were 3D, even from Hang-On. I calculated the position, scale, and zoom rate in 3D and converted it backwards to 2D. So I was always thinking in 3D.
    http://www.1up.com/features/disappea...pager.offset=2

And this is pretty much what I saw in MD's version of Super Hang-On: pretty complex calculation for the positioning and movement of the objects on the track and the track rendering itself.
    I've also compared the MD version with the original Arcade revision and I realized that all tracks are 1:1 with the arcade version. The billboards are different but they are placed in the exactly same spots all over the courses and there's no reduction of number of trackside objects at all.
    That's pretty mind-blowing IMO considering that the MD's port was released back in 1989.

Road Rasher

hey Barone, did you ever peek at some pseudo 3d games ? Like Space Harrier II, After Burner II, or even Panorama Cotton.
    Because these always looked like a lost cause to me, when you factor the huge power gap between the arcade board and the MD. Always wondered if it was the best you could get out of the system.
    I mentionned Panorama Cotton because the amount of stuff thrown in is pretty damn impressive.
    not request anything, I just like exterior comments about game, code.

Thread Information