Quantcast

Thread: Panzer Dragoon 3D Controller Support?

Default Panzer Dragoon 3D Controller Support?

Hey guys, I just picked up a Sega Saturn with a 3D Controller and am completely new to the hardware, so I have a question regarding the analog stick functionality in the original Panzer Dragoon.

When playing Panzer Dragoon with the 3D Controller set to the analog stick, The screen automatically re-centers to the neutral position as I release the stick after moving in any direction (doesn't maintain position of character), but this doesn't occur if the 3D Controller is set to the D-Pad mode.

My question is whether this is vanilla behavior when using the analog stick in Panzer Dragoon; because if so, that seems completely counter productive and unwieldy, particularly when using L and R to pan around, as you would have to hold the analog stick in place to maintain position while rotating, otherwise you'll get snapped back into the center of the screen which is very disorienting.

My 3D Controller seems to be working fine in Sega Rally which leads me to believe that the controller is functioning properly; so is this just an example of poorly implemented analog support added retroactively to an early Saturn game? Is the D-Pad the way to go in the original Panzer Dragoon? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

It was probably designed for the mission stick or something, Panzer Dragoon predates the 3D controller.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

What Guntz said. You're pretty much stuck with the D-pad for that game.

On the plus side, PD Zwei doesn't have this problem with the analog stick. It does feel a bit jumpy, but it's still preferable to the D-pad.

Whatever you do, just make sure you get PDZ at some point. That game rules.

It's pretty much the Analog controller being read as a Mission stick. Personally I kind of like how it plays that way.

Thanks for the insight fellas; that's pretty much what I figured.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    It's pretty much the Analog controller being read as a Mission stick. Personally I kind of like how it plays that way.
    That sounds right on the money TrekkiesUnite118; that's exactly how I'm experiencing the analog inputs of the 3D Controller (as if it were a traditional flight sim joystick). I still feel that this is an unnatural control scheme for me when compared to say StarFox 64's handling of analog inputs (that is to say, doesn't auto-centre when released). Is the Mission Stick worth picking up for the Panzer Dragoon series?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Atomik_Punk! View Post
    Thanks for the insight fellas; that's pretty much what I figured.

That sounds right on the money TrekkiesUnite118; that's exactly how I'm experiencing the analog inputs of the 3D Controller (as if it were a traditional flight sim joystick). I still feel that this is an unnatural control scheme for me when compared to say StarFox 64's handling of analog inputs (that is to say, doesn't auto-centre when released). Is the Mission Stick worth picking up for the Panzer Dragoon series?
    I personally don't have a Mission stick to know, but Zwei and Saga both have proper support for the Analog controller, and Zwei even supports the mouse if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I personally don't have a Mission stick to know, but Zwei and Saga both have proper support for the Analog controller, and Zwei even supports the mouse if I remember correctly.
    Good looking out; I'm really digging the first one, so I'll definitely scan for a copy of Panzer Drgaoon Zwei.

If you have two mission sticks you can combine the two sticks into one main unit for the full configuration with 6 analog axis (2 sticks and two throttles).

I believe Panzer Dragoon games support that.
    I'd like to share some wisdom:
    Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    I'm too lazy to be unstoppable.
    you can have shame, as long as you don't feel it

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    If you have two mission sticks you can combine the two sticks into one main unit for the full configuration with 6 analog axis (2 sticks and two throttles).

I believe Panzer Dragoon games support that.
    Now THATS the ultimate Panzer Dragoon experience! I did some research into that possibility, and it indeed would function as you stated; the thing is, the only mission sticks listed on Ebay are $100+, so not really that cost-effective for that enhanced setup. Perhaps I'll post a WTB in Sonic's Bazaar to see if anyone wants to part with one.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Only PD Zwei supports a two-joystick Mission Stick, not also the first one. It's an awesome feature and I still want a second Mission Stick so I can try it out.

The two games have different analog controls -- as you have discovered, in PD1 the cursor matches the position of the stick in the well. So you move the stick to the top corner and the cursor's in the top corner, it's in the middle when you let go and it centers itself, etc. The problem here with the 3D Controller is that the Mission Stick and 3D Controller have different wells -- circular (3D Controller) versus square (Mission Stick) -- so the 3D Controller can't quite get into the corners because it doesn't have the corners that the game expects the controller to have. Thus, you cannot shoot into the corners of the screen using a 3D Controller in analog mode in the first Panzer Dragoon. But with a Mission Stick joystick, the game actually controls great. It does take a bit of getting used to the oddity of the stick and screen location being directly tied together, but it does become natural fairly quickly, and I think it works very well.

However, PD Zwei actually moves the cursor based on how you move the stick, instead of having it just match the location of the stick, for more "normal" analog controls. It also allows you to move the character and cursor individually -- this is how the twinstick mode works, of course. I'm not sure which of the two I like more, but I'm more used to PD1's controls than Zwei's.

Thread Information