Quantcast

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Shinobi MD port

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

This looks awesome, great job

Like always Tryphon did a amazing job!

I want apologize with the people here and in others places that deslike what i did,
    there are complain about sets in my conversion, because not achieve the pastel tones of the arcade version.
    Like i said before, is impossible do 1:1 conversion because of 9bit rgb pallete limit.
    So.. to try mimic that on MD hardware we have to do some sacrifices that i'm not do.
    One of these methods is simplify the textures and artwork to use less colors and details to keep the range less and more closer of limitations,
    or did like some PC Engine games that's blends different tones with same light to try fake more colors.
    In emulator maybe you can notice some of these tricks but on real hardware or on crt tv you lose all the detail.
    In my opinion if you did these tricks you just expose the MD color limitation, and i never do this.

Even so, i did 3 version of each stage to Tryphon choose, each one using lighting sets different, darker, medium and light.
    I tested it on real hardware and what Tryphon chose is the best in my opinion and you play without any problem.
    Also is good to remenber that we have 3 shinobi games on MD thats not mimic the system 16 look and plays very fine.
    I think humbly that is a port and we must adapt in the better way to fit the hardware using the original as reference,
    and not try emulate the other hardware at any cost destroying the content, so i tried keep every detail on the game including sprites and backgrounds.

In the end, i just want to say that like everyone i'm always dreamed with this game and i just tried to help with my best.
    So if you dislike it i'm really sorry and has a great possibility that in the future Tryphon choose another artist proposal to the task.
    So i'm explaining myself to the community, i hope you all understand.

Ps: Sorry for my poor english

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Nameless One

I just looked it up, System 16 arcade board can do 4096 colors onscreen at once compared to the Sega Genesis which can do 61. The fact you guys can used that limited of a pallete and it still looks like Shinobi is amazing. I think it looks great.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Amaweks's Avatar

Awesome project, and you guys are doing the best of the machine limitations, congratulations.

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Hi guys,

I`ve been playing around last days with shinobi sprites again by fun in short free times. I did a complete new recolorize of shinobi sprites. I know that philip and pyron are doing a great a work with tryphon, so maybe post this pics is unnecesary. But I thought that if I keep my pics only for me alone then could it be totally useless. So, I decided post them here, so at least could it be useful for tryphon, pyron or philip or anyone as a reference or any other help. Of course anyone is free to use them as they wish or modify them etc.

Thanks a lot again to tryphon for their great work with this project, I follow it closely. And also thanks to pyron and phillip. I not wish to disturb the work of others.

MD versions, just 16 colors used in each pic:

Original arcade sprites pics for comparision:

hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

^^^^^^

Beautiful

Welcome back Max!

Always is good see you here, keep coming and don't dissapear.
    Your job is very good, you know that, congratulations!

Thank you epsilon eagle and thank you pyron for the nice comments. Nice to talk with you again. Indeed I think that this version looks cleaner than my older ones. If it can be of some little help for anyone who collaborate with this project, I will be happy.

WCPO Agent

Thanks for your help. I see 2 problems though :

* 2 of your palettes are 16 colors. You only have 15 (one is transparent)

* you use 3 palettes (at least for stages 1-1, 1-2 and 3-2, with punks and/or spiders) which will make the rendering of backgrounds quite difficult

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Amaweks's Avatar

Awesome work. Very good sprite conversions, for me some, like the final boss, look even better on your Mega Drive version (the arcade has this nice but somewat strange desaturated shades in contrast with some oversaturated green tones, for exemple). Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    Thanks for your help. I see 2 problems though :

* 2 of your palettes are 16 colors. You only have 15 (one is transparent)

* you use 3 palettes (at least for stages 1-1, 1-2 and 3-2, with punks and/or spiders) which will make the rendering of backgrounds quite difficult
    Hi tryphon,

nice to see you here also! I follow you also in french forum gamopat!

I not see the problem that you say. I took care about transparent color:
    The subpalette which includes musashi character actually only uses 15 colors, (included the grey in background). So you have one more color for transparent.

The subpalette which includes hellicopter uses 16 color but only grey is used in background, grey is not used for sprites. The same for spidey-punks, grey is reserved for background.

I could redo the square colors if you require so.

I did stages 1-1 and 1-2 only using just one subpalette. Stage 3-2 can use pyron strategy. I sent you a pm with backgrounds 1-1 and 1-2. Any thing that I can help, please let me know.

Edit: Ok, sorry, I was not very clear. I changed the background colour. Now should be clear that one color of each 16 color subpalette is reserved for transparent color:

Last edited by maxxfarras; 02-11-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Looking at Tryphon channel i noticed the bonus Stage!!!!!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x72mok7

@Tryphon, any chance of the ninjas uses the metalic headbanger when they jumps at screen?
    the artwork is there but someone fuck up it when starts convert the artwork to game
    so in this case its a small correction thats add's some nice detail

WCPO Agent

There's an entire palette dedicated to the big ninja. Does it use less than 16 colors ? If so, no problem...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

This looks incredible! Been watching the videos, and I love how well the game is translated to the MD hardware. It feels like something Sega could have done back in the day, which is a great accomplishment!

This also reminds me of the old dream of having the first Rolling Thunder on the MD.

WCPO Agent

Some news from the bonus stage. Purple ninjas are missing, and I have to speed up the opening fading :

As usual, direct link since it seems the embedded video doesn't work (at least on my computer).

Thread Information