Quantcast

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sega Nomad replacement RGB screen

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

That sounds cool, the screen would look really sharp at that res.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Amerika's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    If i could find a verysmall sized line doubler with no frills and no lag, we would be set. Ive got 2x really nice 640x480 LCDs here that look awesome compared to the screens we commonly use.
    Oh man, this would be absolutely perfect. Fairly niche, but perfect.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Metallica Man X View Post
    OK ladies and gents
    This board https://translate.google.com/transla...00000000499%2F was mentioned previously by CasetheCorvetteman way back in March. It looked like it has potential, so after some work, I managed to get one!
    Wasn't super easy to get tho. After digging around on the website, I found that they do not ship internationally (probably why the site is japanese only lol).
    Fortunately, I have a friend who can import goodies from the land of the rising sun that can't otherwise be shipped stateside.
    So was it worth the effort and price?

Let's find out!

Here's a side by side with the nomad having the RGB board and the other is your typical e-bay composite-only board. Both of these use the exact same LCD module.

..aaaaand some closeups!

RGB Board:

Composite Board:

There's definitely a serious difference in sharpness, that's for sure!

So are there any cons to this? Well, I've found that the screen does have a few quirks.
    First off, while it says it runs on 5v, it actually prefers to run on 3.3v. At 5v, the picture likes to distort and change brightness at random, whereas at 3.3v, it runs smoothly. This could just be an error in the board itself, but since I could only get one board from them (it was the last one they had in stock), there's no way to know for sure just yet.

I also noticed some extra colors in the lettering.. It's nothing game breaking, but it is a tad annoying. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the LCD itself as when I run a monochrome signal through it, the colors are still there.

The last quirk I can't quite show in pictures, it's a very faint distortion in the video. Sort of a moving color band. I've tried a few gauges and lengths of wire in there on the chance that it's getting interference from the system itself, but I saw no change with any of them.

This could actually be a flaw in the nomad itself that's only obvious thanks to the sharpness of the picture, or it could be a flaw in the board. Again, I only have 1 to work with so I don't know for sure.

Overall, I'd say it's darn good and worth messing around with some more. Actually, I almost think the picture is too sharp lol.

Once I get word that they have restocked, I'll probably order up another one or two for further testing.

If anyone is interested in acquiring one of these, just let me know and I can probably order up for ya.
    Fantastic. So great to see progress being made on this! Can someone repost the link to the screen? It isn't working for me. I want to investigate the chipset being used and see if we can tackle the final annoying bits.

I'm interested.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I tried to find that RGB board everywhere, but as previously mentioned wasn't available outside Japan - and it was out of stock where I saw it anyway. Since that didn't work out, how about S-video? I took pictures of the same Beyond Oasis screens after adding S-video to my Nomad and replacing the screen again. Unfortunately, hard to take good pics with my cell phone of another screen, but in person it looks sharper than my old composite connected LCD board.
    Attachment 14839
    Attachment 14840

Quote Originally Posted by Vorenge View Post
    I tried to find that RGB board everywhere, but as previously mentioned wasn't available outside Japan - and it was out of stock where I saw it anyway. Since that didn't work out, how about S-video? I took pictures of the same Beyond Oasis screens after adding S-video to my Nomad and replacing the screen again. Unfortunately, hard to take good pics with my cell phone of another screen, but in person it looks sharper than my old composite connected LCD board.
    Attachment 14839
    Attachment 14840
    hey, your first two attachments don't seem to be working. Which PCB did you use for the S video board? I don't think this has been well documented yet, mind sharing? thanks for the picture!

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    hey, your first two attachments don't seem to be working. Which PCB did you use for the S video board? I don't think this has been well documented yet, mind sharing? thanks for the picture!
    First I have to give proper credit to Helder (he's a boss) because I started with his suggestion. After first completing the s-video circuit on my Nomad, I used the board that Helder had mentioned in his post about his Nomad battery. I followed some of what he shared, but it didn't work for me by just removing C14 and soldering to the right pad as he suggested. The color side of the video was extremely faint (I purchased a couple of these boards to experiment, so I have an extra one now that I just took a picture of). I ended up removing both C14 and C19 and changing, or moving the chroma line to FB1 and got the best results there. It worked on right of C17 also, but I got a little better picture (less noise) on FB1. I added a 100ohm resistor before the luma line connection because it was producing a slight rainbow effect even before the chroma line was added while in black and white. The resistor cleared that up. I used the 5 volt connection that Helder had previously shared and a 1K ohm pot on the brightness and color pads at the top - although I did think that the picture was pretty well balanced even without the pot. For me, this board after connecting it this way (versus straight composite) produced a noticeably sharper more pronounced image with much better color balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorenge View Post
    First I have to give proper credit to Helder (he's a boss) because I started with his suggestion. After first completing the s-video circuit on my Nomad, I used the board that Helder had mentioned in his post about his Nomad battery. I followed some of what he shared, but it didn't work for me by just removing C14 and soldering to the right pad as he suggested. The color side of the video was extremely faint (I purchased a couple of these boards to experiment, so I have an extra one now that I just took a picture of). I ended up removing both C14 and C19 and changing, or moving the chroma line to FB1 and got the best results there. It worked on right of C17 also, but I got a little better picture (less noise) on FB1. I added a 100ohm resistor before the luma line connection because it was producing a slight rainbow effect even before the chroma line was added while in black and white. The resistor cleared that up. I used the 5 volt connection that Helder had previously shared and a 1K ohm pot on the brightness and color pads at the top - although I did think that the picture was pretty well balanced even without the pot. For me, this board after connecting it this way (versus straight composite) produced a noticeably sharper more pronounced image with much better color balancing.

Repping the hell out of this post! Amazing work !!!

Nice! I might make a small board if need be for this mod. I won't have time to properly do anything on the Nomad since I'm backed up with my main project the mintyPi but glad other can now benefit from a better screen and for cheap too.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'm well up for this. The screen I have is IR controlled and quite nice. What would be the easier job, to remove the existing screen or start afresh with a new unit?

I'd hope for the removal, as my Nomad has SMS capability and a switchless region mod...

Great work there!

EDIT - On rereading, do I have it right that you can add S Video cspability to my existing screen?

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Any chance in hell enabling s-video on this board as well?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18120815200...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If so, I'll gladly open up all 4 of my nomads tonight.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I'm well up for this. The screen I have is IR controlled and quite nice. What would be the easier job, to remove the existing screen or start afresh with a new unit?

I'd hope for the removal, as my Nomad has SMS capability and a switchless region mod...

Great work there!

EDIT - On rereading, do I have it right that you can add S Video cspability to my existing screen?
    Not sure if you can do it with your existing screen. Most of the ones out there that I've come across previously didn't have a way to process the signal. I previously had one that had the stupid "AV1" in the right corner from a backup camera. When I replaced it with the board Helder suggested, I don't have that stupid marking in the corner, the aspect ratio is more square (the prior board was stretched a little vertically), and I could add in the S-video input. segasonicfan is going to try this mod soon too. After he lets everyone know how his comes out, you all might want to check out this ebay listing where you can get 10 for only $50. At $5 a piece, that's not bad if people split it or you need a bunch of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-10-NEW-...53.m1438.l2649

Also, as an idea if you want to test stuff without opening your Nomad over and over, I happened to take a picture of when I was testing my other board outside of my Nomad by using my S-Video modded Genesis 3 since it has the same video encoder. I really only took this picture for my own reference, because the first few tests were with my Nomad taken apart a few times and I was tired of doing that, so this might help someone get the gist to see if they like before even messing with their Nomad in it's current state.

When can I mail out my Nomad for this update?

Road Rasher

I still havent had time to look at my 640x480 screen yet, but i do have a controller that has RGB input on the chip but not wired to the edge, shouldnt matter, i have a programmer than can change defaults on it so it should start on RGB.

Its all in a box at present though, too many projects on the go at once!!

Thread Information