Quantcast

Thread: Sega Genesis Protos Prototypes

Sports Talker

Since this is the first of any type I have come across, I was curious about how to handle it. Most devs build with base system in mind, but I am sure they test on other configurations. Can a normal system harm anything?
    Last edited by yZoneFox; 07-26-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Nice find! Neither the protos nor a system should harm each other, as long as it was made for a Genesis. Normal cleaning won't hurt them. I'd get them dumped as soon as possible, but using them on a system should be fine. Don't put them in backwards now!

Sports Talker

I don't have a multi-game hunter at the moment to dump it (though, I do have a SF doctor. Any takers? hahah). Are there any cheap solutions?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

This looks like it can dump roms:

http://shop.retrogate.com/FlashKit-P...MD-PROG-MD.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One RAGE's Avatar

you can buy a eeprom reader/programmer to dump them (i have a Minipro Programmer and it do the job)
    but be careful read this below :

you will need to REMOVE the ROM from the socket (if its not soldered) and be sure that you dont break any leg
    Know what you do, if its a EEPROM and you accidentaly erase it, it will be to late and you will permanently erase it
    if its a EPROM, you will be safe since the only way to erase it is under uv light

since the game are on multiple chips, it will be harder to dump this way (unless you know how to use Hexadecimal)
    im sure that it have easier way to dump the rom data
    Last edited by RAGE; 10-03-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Sports Talker

I'd rather use a simple solution like Black_Tiger suggested since there is less chance for me screwing up the ROM or botching the board. There are four chips on each board. Does that mean the ROM would be downloaded as four separate files?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One RAGE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by y9784 View Post
    I'd rather use a simple solution like Black_Tiger suggested since there is less chance for me screwing up the ROM or botching the board. There are four chips on each board. Does that mean the ROM would be downloaded as four separate files?
    Normally No (i never use the dumper that Black_Tiger suggested so i dont know, sorry)

and if yes, you will need to reassembled the files in HEX and since they are not numbered it will be very hard

in most proto board, the ROM are numbered wich was the case for Garfield : caught in the act prototype i found on ebay last week
    Last edited by RAGE; 10-05-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

What games are they anyway, have you tested them in a Genesis yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I have an EPROM dumper. If you feel safe shipping the games to me I'd be happy to carefully pop off the ROMs and dump them and send them back.

Master of Shinobi

I can dump those for you and so can drx from hidden-palace, but we both live in Europe.

I have a Retrode to dump Genesis games; Im in the states, have experience in handling protos .

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by y9784 View Post
    I don't have a multi-game hunter at the moment to dump it (though, I do have a SF doctor. Any takers? hahah). Are there any cheap solutions?
    MGH or Double Pro Fighter should do just fine, with no need to desolder chips or jump through other complicated hoops. I've dumped several prototype and copy-protected unlicensed carts with either machine and had no problems.

I've had newer USB dumpers fry protection devices on unlicensed SNES games... which makes me a sad boy.

Thread Information