Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Putty Squad for Mega Drive has been dumped

The scrolling is quite similar to the Amiga version. Between the classic versions, the PC MS-DOS shareware version is the most fluid by far. I was used to that one back in the day (shame it was never released in complete form) and when I got to play the SNES version some years after, I noticed the hit on the game pace a lot (plus, the SNES version has some aspects deliberately slowed down to prevent slowdowns, like the sideway movement you can done keeping pressed the attack button, this doesn't happen in the other versions). In the Mega Drive version, some slight lag/slowdowns may appear randomly when scrolling depending on the levels and parts of them if they are more or less crowded and if you tend to move fast with big jumps. It's also especially noticeable if you plat it at 60hz. I gave it a quick test at 50hz and although the game movement feels stiffer that way, I didn't notice the lag/slowdowns so much. I also have to give it a try with overclocking turned on to check if that still happens.

Mad, I can't see your attachments for some reason, but I suppose the glitch you mean is the one that appears in the 11th level. It seems like for some reason they tried to add a foreground layer (which is not present in the Amiga version) and had that garbled thing as a result, or it's simply a random/unknown bug.

I gave it a more extensive playthrough and noticed some more interesting things in this version, though not in a good sense for most of them.I thought this was pretty much a carbon copy of the Amiga version. It gives that impression with some of the things I mentioned in the previous message, but there are actually some changes, and few of them are for good.

One of the "good changes" is related to some CG pictures that appear between "worlds" (when the game transits to levels with totally different background I mean) which are not present in the Amiga version. Other versions have similar transitory screens, but not the same. The SNES version had some cutscenes in which Putty travelled between the different "worlds" by plane, and the PC MS-DOS had some similar CG cutscenes (in some of them are the same, but the Mega Drive version has them as static screens with just one color, with the result being more ugly than anything). It's an interest addition to stand out this version on something, although it's not quite polished like many other technical aspects of this conversion.

The other changes, the inexplicably weird ones, come on some different music and background placements which start to appear from level 10 onwards. The first nine levels are pretty much the same compared to the Amiga version, but from that on there are some alterations to backgrounds which are always inconsistent and bad placed, and then some music placement changes which are not bad but also not great. Regarding the music, it's a hit and miss feature of this conversion althouth it's mostly an average conversion without big effort (I suppose this is using either a custom music engine which is not great or GEMS, doesn't seem like the Krisalis engine despite being an European development). Some of them are converted more or less compared to the Amiga and SNES versions, but then some themes like this one are barely recognizable in the Mega Drive. In fact, I thought the Mega Drive version was a new and unrelated theme until I noticed it had to be that one because the others are more or less recognizable and match their originals a little better.

Later on, I will expand on some of these things with screenshots (I can't take them where I'm right now) and I'll also upload to YouTube the Mega Drive version soundtrack for a better comparison with the Amiga and SNES themes. But overall, this port gives a feeling of unfinished/unpolished which is such a shame.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

I REALLY LIKED THIS GAME!!!

This magazine ranked the Sound FX since the prototype release don't have SFX.
    A more finished version should exist!

VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darguel View Post
    You have a PM
    Can you share it with me?

Good to see another unreleased game out in the wild. Definitely going to put it on my Everdrive once the ROM makes the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    I REALLY LIKED THIS GAME!!!

This magazine ranked the Sound FX since the prototype release don't have SFX.
    A more finished version should exist!

I'm expanding on this later. The Hobby Consolas and GAMERS reviews are interesting mostly because the levels showed in the screenshots are al with the correct background placement, while this prototype does weird things on that regard from level 10 onwards. One of the most apparent proofs of this is the screenshot of the final boss in GAMERS, which is the same as in the Amiga version, while in this prototype it's swapped from another level.

You could always say that it's because these magazines are using screenshots from the Amiga version like System 3 claimed when they were contacted regarding the existence of the Mega Drive version, but it's definitely not the case because the HUD was redesigned in this version compared to the others.

So yeah, there's definitely the feeling that a later build of this version must exist somewhere and these mags has access to it. Problem is, System 3 doesn't even acknowledges the existance of this version and the company that did it is largely unknown and probably no longer around, so tracing this later build won't be easy.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Who do I have to kill to get in on that hot, saucey, PM action?

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Nameless One

Mad Moham: Thank you very much for this dump (i should have said that earlier).

I suspect that Hobby Consolas lied about the sound FX review, but don't know for sure...

(I have sent some more PM...)

Wildside Expert EternalChampion's Avatar

Me also want P.M. Trying to find myself but also trying on Halloween costumes right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try Retro Collect's news page.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hero of Algol

Be grateful for Mad Moham's attitude, people. It's not something common to see.

IMO we should make a community effort to complete the game's content and fix its bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    IMO we should make a community effort to complete the game's content and fix its bugs.
    I concur, and I'd love to be involved in that too if I can. I think it will be difficult to insert sound effects, but I think the color hack (especially for the title screen) is very doable.

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Be grateful for Mad Moham's attitude, people. It's not something common to see.
    Trust me, I am. It's always wonderful to see "what could have been" with one of my favorite video game consoles

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I concur, and I'd love to be involved in that too if I can. I think it will be difficult to insert sound effects, but I think the color hack (especially for the title screen) is very doable.
    IMO we should try to insert the latest version of Stef's audio driver into this game and then get someone to compose all the stuff using that driver.
    The color improvement hack is very doable and necessary as well.

I just uploaded the complete soundtrack of the Mega Drive version, so you can check how it fares compared to the SNES and Amiga versions.

The name I used for the Mega Drive music files is the one that seems to apply the Amiga version, not sure if they are actually addressed that way by System 3. The SNES version music files used for the comparison show the level names in which they first appear in the game, but that's doesn't mean much because the placement between versions is different, with the Amiga and Mega Drive versions standing closer each other except for a couple of placement differences.

AMIGA / SNES / MEGA DRIVE

Gothic / Gothic / Gothic

Orient / Orient / Orient

Water / Water / Water

Magical / Magical / Magical

New / New / New

Fair2 / Fair2 / Fair2

Jungle / Jungle / Jungle

Snowxmas / Snowxmas / Snowxmas

Yeah, in general terms the Mega Drive versions are weak compared to the Amiga and SNES versions. Some of them are better converted than others though. "Gothic" stands out quite well, while some others like "Orient", even if inferior to the Amiga version (the SNES version in this case detracts a lot from the Amiga version and it's good in its own right but I prefer the Amiga version), still keeps the essential basics of what makes the theme catchy at least. Then you have the CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY that is "New", one of the better themes of the game, barely recognizable as such in the Mega Drive version (in fact, I thought it was a new theme until I figured out, after checking the rest of themes, that there was no matching version of "New" in the Mega Drive version other than this "thing" which was remaining). My favourite theme of the game, "Water", doesn't come close to the awesomeness of the Amiga and SNES versions but at least it remains as an interesting take on it.

I'm also planning to take some screenshots in those levels where the Mega Drive version has wrong background placement compared to the SNES and Amiga versions. The reviews that Mean Machines Sega, Hobby Consolas and GAMERS did to the Mega Drive version had the correct background placement from those other versions, evidencing the existence of a later build which is definitely not this one. But as there's no guarantee that version will ever surface to the public (who knows if it's even lost forever, even drx's version was reportedly very unfinished and therefore earlier than the one we now have here), intending hacking efforts to fix this dumped version seems to be a very good idea.
    Last edited by Wesker; 10-08-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Nameless One

Thanks for sharing. It was reviewed in quite a few magazines, so there must be some review copies out there. I scanned some reviews which I don't think have previously been scanned (click link for higher res);

Sega Power #68 Page 54

Sega Power #68 Page 55

Sega Power #68 Page 56

Sega Pro #46 Page 79

Games World #12 Page 79

Also from the Ozisoft brochure I posted recently;

http://i.imgur.com/8lS1jLt.jpg

Thread Information