Quantcast

Thread: Redesigning SEGA's game case themes

Genesis Redesigning SEGA's game case themes

Alright guys I am a graphic designer and I have decided to redesign the case themes sega did with their systems. I am starting right now with just the red genesis theme. I eventually plan to redesign all case themes they did genesis to dreamcast, excluding the pico. I wanted to clean up the case designs and make the genesis library look more uniform. I am in the process of getting universal game cases and eventually I want to redesign the cover art for all my sega games! It is a passion project of mine. So far I just have some of the spine done and I am working on redesigning the sega seal of quality logo for my theme. Please let me know what you guys think. This is a total work in progress and I will update as I move along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I want universal black grid design.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I would dig around here for a bit first before you do too much work:
    http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cat_id=3
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Looks nice & clean, but I have to ask - why? Would you not prefer to keep your games looking original, than changing the authentic cases/designs to something else?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomH View Post
    Looks nice & clean, but I have to ask - why? Would you not prefer to keep your games looking original, than changing the authentic cases/designs to something else?
    I know this question wasn't for me, but I've heard it many times before. I hope this doesn't come across as rude. I personally don't have much interest in keeping things such as this, authentic or as it was when it was released in a particular country. I want it to at least look good to myself. I sometimes suspect I don't feel nostalgia, or at least I don't feel it the same way as others. I was so happy to gut my american super nintendo and put it inside the super famicom casing.
    I too made a few alternate cover templates for games. I haven't released any yet, I am still working off and on work on them.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by smurdd View Post
    I know this question wasn't for me, but I've heard it many times before. I hope this doesn't come across as rude. I personally don't have much interest in keeping things such as this, authentic or as it was when it was released in a particular country. I want it to at least look good to myself. I sometimes suspect I don't feel nostalgia, or at least I don't feel it the same way as others. I was so happy to gut my american super nintendo and put it inside the super famicom casing.
    I too made a few alternate cover templates for games. I haven't released any yet, I am still working off and on work on them.
    Oh indeed, personal choice is everything really. I suppose for some, functionality trumps nostalgia/preservation. Re your Snes...all you needed to do was snip the two plastic tabs in the cart slot...the US Snes is NTSC as is the SFC. Or do you just prefer the look of the SFC?

Quote Originally Posted by smurdd View Post
    I was so happy to gut my american super nintendo and put it inside the super famicom casing.
    What was the point of doing that and not just getting a Super Famicom?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
    What was the point of doing that and not just getting a Super Famicom?
    Lol, I wonder this as well. If anything I wish I could get a replacement front/top plate for my SFC that would let US games fit without needing a gameshark or passthrough.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I want universal black grid design.
    pretty sure ive seen a guy on GAF or somewhere doing just that for a lot of his cases, looks pretty cool too!
    me, im okay with non-uniform looking shelves...you kinda get to see the evolution across that gen, plus the random colors feel pretty 90's to me too

Thread Information