Quantcast

Thread: SEGA CDX Repair Help 2

Sega CD SEGA CDX Repair Help 2

Alright in the last thread I made, my CDX wasn't reading discs, now that's been resolved, but three new issues have surfaced.

Problem 1: There is 0 sound coming from the left channel. I have the official SEGA GENESIS Stereo AV cable that came with the CDX, and for some reason there is 0 sound coming from the white/ left channel. Well, to be specifically, when playing GENESIS carts, there is 0 sound. When the SEGA CD Bio 2.21 music is playing, there is sound, but it's as if someone turned the volume to 1/100, while the right channel is on 100/100. Any ideas that could be causing this? Bad capacitors? A Bad connection? The issue(s) listed below?

Problem 2: In the process of me disassembling this, the two brown ground wires severed that connects the two boards together, and I tried to resolder them, but the wiring broke off at the base of the brown protective layer, and isn't long enough to make the connection. Now the new situation is finding the replacement wire. Where can I buy this wire? The [two] brown wire[s] say[s] TR-64 -F- DAIWA AWG22. Now I have no idea where to buy this from, I tried looking it up & I came up empty. Is this something that can be bought at RadioShack? (Yes I still have one of those lol)

Problem 3: There seems to be some kind of resistor[?] that connects from the bottom board to the copper shielding. This too broke off at the base and there is no way to reconnect it. What kind of resistor is this? As far as I can see; there is not markings that indicate what in hell it is. And the CDX seems to be working fine without it, but it's my understanding that this is there to protect the PICO 2.5 MA fuse from surges, so until I can find a replacement the CDX will remain unplugged when not in use.

Any tips to resolving these several issues would be great. But 2/3 don't seem to be harming the unit at all. The two ground wires have been severed and it still powers on, and there hasn't been an issue since the resistor[?] has been disconnected. But some help finding replacements would be great so we can get this thing as close as it was when it left the factory. Also the sound issue is really annoying because without the left channel, it sounds really hollow and empty.

Until these issues are resolved I'll be sticking to my Mark I HDG Geny and SCD Mark I
    Last edited by ThatGamingKid; 10-25-2015 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Grammatical Errors

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGamingKid View Post
    Alright in the last thread I made, my CDX wasn't reading discs, now that's been resolved, but three new issues have surfaced.

Problem 1: There is 0 sound coming from the left channel. I have the official SEGA GENESIS Stereo AV cable that came with the CDX, and for some reason there is 0 sound coming from the white/ left channel. Well, to be specifically, when playing GENESIS carts, there is 0 sound. When the SEGA CD Bio 2.21 music is playing, there is sound, but it's as if someone turned the volume to 1/100, while the right channel is on 100/100. Any ideas that could be causing this? Bad capacitors? A Bad connection? The issue(s) listed below?
    From my limited experience with that system I noticed that the sound is mixed on the CD-ROM board. So have the connector from main board to the CD-DA verified. Along with the audio circuitry on the CD-DA drive board

Problem 2: In the process of me disassembling this, the two brown ground wires severed that connects the two boards together, and I tried to resolder them, but the wiring broke off at the base of the brown protective layer, and isn't long enough to make the connection. Now the new situation is finding the replacement wire. Where can I buy this wire? The [two] brown wire[s] say[s] TR-64 -F- DAIWA AWG22. Now I have no idea where to buy this from, I tried looking it up & I came up empty. Is this something that can be bought at RadioShack? (Yes I still have one of those lol)
    Very likely you can even take some bit of wire from some scrap. So you only need to spend money with it if you have nothing broken you can take some wire from.

Problem 3: There seems to be some kind of resistor[?] that connects from the bottom board to the copper shielding. This too broke off at the base and there is no way to reconnect it. What kind of resistor is this? As far as I can see; there is not markings that indicate what in hell it is. And the CDX seems to be working fine without it, but it's my understanding that this is there to protect the PICO 2.5 MA fuse from surges, so until I can find a replacement the CDX will remain unplugged when not in use.

Any tips to resolving these several issues would be great. But 2/3 don't seem to be harming the unit at all. The two ground wires have been severed and it still powers on, and there hasn't been an issue since the resistor[?] has been disconnected. But some help finding replacements would be great so we can get this thing as close as it was when it left the factory. Also the sound issue is really annoying because without the left channel, it sounds really hollow and empty.

Until these issues are resolved I'll be sticking to my Mark I HDG Geny and SCD Mark I
    Pictures of the stuff you're talking about would surely help me out to give some pointers...
    I'd like to share some wisdom:
    Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    I'm too lazy to be unstoppable.
    you can have shame, as long as you don't feel it

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    From my limited experience with that system I noticed that the sound is mixed on the CD-ROM board. So have the connector from main board to the CD-DA verified. Along with the audio circuitry on the CD-DA drive board

Very likely you can even take some bit of wire from some scrap. So you only need to spend money with it if you have nothing broken you can take some wire from.

Pictures of the stuff you're talking about would surely help me out to give some pointers...

I'll see if I can find some pictures on the internet, then if I have to, I'll take it apart and snap a few.

Thread Information