Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Matteus Homebrew Corner

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Agreed, alternating vertical lines doesn't look good.

If there's any confusion; that's not what I was saying. The image is dithered with vertical lines (so that's what it looks like in vram), but the image is always shown as alternating checker board pattern - never vertical lines.

The alternating checker board pattern concepts been around for decades, with games in the 90's doing it, and including a couple of PC companies advertising using a 'software trick' to expand 262k palette of VGA to 'millions' of colors haha . But the method I'm talking about is applied to the whole BG layer(s), and doesn't require two images.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Shifting scroll every line on an image just makes the image judder and look strange... Only actual tile animation makes things work and you would need two sets of images in VRAM with the pixels alternating or updating VRAM each frame with opposite set of pixels, no scroll shifts at all... Or I'm misunderstanding things completely ...?
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Sonic 3D gets away with it. It's indeed quite blurry but it does work surprisingly better than one would expect (even with eye-stabbing sharp pixels). And the Wolfenstein 3D demo honestly looks better with it even if it's blurrier than the non-filtered methods. I suppose there's also the part where static checkerboard dithering has a tendency to cause a wreck for the silhouettes.

In the end tho, the only thing that's guaranteed to work is to find out a way to make it work with less colors so you can get rid of the dithering entirely :​P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Shifting scroll every line on an image just makes the image judder and look strange... Only actual tile animation makes things work and you would need two sets of images in VRAM with the pixels alternating or updating VRAM each frame with opposite set of pixels, no scroll shifts at all... Or I'm misunderstanding things completely ...?
    From my tests, at 320px resolution is looks pretty solid on NTSC. On a CRT, I couldn't notice juddering. And in emulation (no filtering), it was solid as well. I mean, the difference is small between the two alternating frames. And the effect is no different than switch between two images (other than what sik said.. everything gets the effect.. so transition areas too). For static and FMV, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Sonic 3D gets away with it. It's indeed quite blurry but it does work surprisingly better than one would expect (even with eye-stabbing sharp pixels). And the Wolfenstein 3D demo honestly looks better with it even if it's blurrier than the non-filtered methods. I suppose there's also the part where static checkerboard dithering has a tendency to cause a wreck for the silhouettes.

In the end tho, the only thing that's guaranteed to work is to find out a way to make it work with less colors so you can get rid of the dithering entirely :​P
    Yeah, it blurs the image a bit. Like I mentioned previously you can get a pretty accurate simulation of the effect in photoshop or gimp by doing a motion blur of 1px (horizontally). I mean it's not just for checker board dither. It works for floyd-steinburg/jarvis style dithering too. It basically just softens the dither, but the effect isn't as dramatic as checker board.

Someday, I plan to make a demo on the PCE using high res mode (512px) and the hblur technique.. but by changing the resolution to low and back high again real fast, early in the scanline to get the shift effect on the whole display (sprites too).

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I need to have a go at the offset at high speeds. It might actually be more effective than dithering. What sort of FPS is required to make it unnoticeable though?

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Cool. I remember the first time I saw that intro and I thought it was one of the coolest intros ever, so its great to see it running the way it does.

Now will Reiko Nagase move in with me?

Wow, Patlabor intro running on my favourite console. Now I need to buy another Everdrive.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Oh man, I went with Terra Onion! I'd be willing to bet they can do a similar feat? Nice videos Matt, that new game from Sik looks, well, sick (I hate that term, but couldn't resist the pun). Also, that new shooter from the Tšnzer dude looks so good I almost wet my pants.

Christmas soon as well Matt .

EDIT - Risk? I meant resist.
    Last edited by cleeg; 10-17-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Nice videos Matt, that new game from Sik looks, well, sick (I hate that term, but couldn't risk the pun).

Why is everything so unhealthy these days, and why does anyone consider it a good thing? The last time I was sick I had to take 5 months off work and my girlfriend left me.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Shit Moham, that's some illness.

Thread Information