Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matteus Homebrew Corner

Nice update! When the player change the doors direction, its possible to include some scroll tilting effect like this in Greatest Heavyweights?

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Unfortunately a tad expensive to implement due to the sprite work.

If you've not already subbed please do I'm very close to the 1,000 subs mark and would really like to get my hands on the youtube community features.

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Nice update! When the player change the doors direction, its possible to include some scroll tilting effect like this in Greatest Heavyweights?

Ooooh that's clever. And really cheap, too, by the looks of it - just using cell mode vscroll (and full page hscroll) on both planes.

But yeah, would get tricky if sprites were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvilCorporation View Post
    Ooooh that's clever. And really cheap, too, by the looks of it - just using cell mode vscroll (and full page hscroll) on both planes.

But yeah, would get tricky if sprites were involved.
    If you have bulls eyes will notice a slight sprite flicker eventually in the white corner, so technically there are sprites involved

I meant to say "pixel art" but wrote "sprites" doh! The big issue is the pixel art doesn't lend itself to the effect. I'd have to get all the backgrounds redrawn.

You can see my failed experiment with the effect here:
    https://twitter.com/matteusbeus/stat...140760579?s=19

I've gone with the effect in this video instead:

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    I meant to say "pixel art" but wrote "sprites" doh! The big issue is the pixel art doesn't lend itself to the effect. I'd have to get all the backgrounds redrawn.

You can see my failed experiment with the effect here:
    https://twitter.com/matteusbeus/stat...140760579?s=19

I've gone with the effect in this video instead:
    Thanks for your try and feedback, the current room change animation it's very good!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

So what are some of the conversion toolchains you're using? Are you doing any Luma compression with base shift? I did a video conversion back in 2007, with just 16 color frames, and found the brightness compression with a base shift made things look better; watch?v=aRNw9ccJHS4 . There's not true black in the video conversion, but it's not a problem if you don't 'show' any true black (i.e. like color, it becomes a relative point of brightness). The video is crap haha cause I had the audio gains set too high when recording off the console (and the brightness set too high on the capture software). But the 'lights' in the video looked like light/glow/whatever. I was impressed haha. I didn't think a 9bit palette could pull that off.

I'm using imagemagick to perform a series of preprocessed on PNG files which I'm then processing through rescomp which is part of the sgdk. Rescomp uses a custom variant of lz4 compression. This means that dithering should be used sparing or done via a set pattern across all tiles as the less unique the tiles are the worse the compression is.

I try to stick to 8x8 dither where possible or none at all as it makes better compression!

I'm using imagemagick to perform a series of preprocessed on PNG files which I'm then processing through rescomp which is part of the sgdk. Rescomp uses a custom variant of lz4 compression. This means that dithering should be used sparing or done via a set pattern across all tiles as the less unique the tiles are the worse the compression is.

I try to stick to 8x8 dither where possible or none at all as it makes better compression!
    I've read about imagemagick but haven't used it haha. Have you experimented with "horizontal blur" with FMV before? It's basically where you dither with vertical lines instead of checkerboard pattern. The offset every other line by 1 pixel (so every odd line), and then same for even lines on the next frame. At 60hz, it blends the pixels. Not sure about 50hz. It's based on the premise of a really old trick (flipping back and forth between two images at a fast rate). You can simulate the effect in photoshop or gimp by doing a 0 degree 1 pixel motion blur (assume using the original resolution, and not scaled up). If you setup the posterizing just right (with some other stuff), you can have your image only dither where it's simulating a color from 12bit palette, and the h-blur makes it appear solid (great for RGB and composite outputs).

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Vertical line flickering like that looks pretty bad, checkerboard flickering works much better and looks lot less flickery in both 50 and 60Hz.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Vertical line flickering like that looks pretty bad, checkerboard flickering works much better and looks lot less flickery in both 50 and 60Hz.
    You dither with vertical lines, but it will always be a checkerboard pattern because at any state either odd or even lines will be offset by one pixel relative to the other.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Alternating vertical lines don't look good from what I have tried, not on MD and I cannot imagine it looking ok on any other hardware either. Alternating checkerboard pattern works much better and produces less artifacts on composhit/RF on many MD models. You can see it in action in Sik's "Project MD" where it is used extensively and it works wonderfully there.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thread Information