Quantcast

Thread: Sega Cards on Japanese SMS?

Road Rasher

Default Sega Cards on Japanese SMS?

Hi,

I've got a Sega Card game (Spy vs Spy), and, like Sonic Blast, it isn't loading on my Japanese SMS. I either get a blank screen, or the Space Harrier screen. I was under the impression western cards do run on the Japanese SMS? Or have I been unlucky again and the card has died?

Thanks

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I've had trouble getting even Mark III My Cards working on my Mark III SMS. They don't seem to fit well.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I've had trouble getting even Mark III My Cards working on my Mark III SMS. They don't seem to fit well.
    That brings up the question, are Sega Card games region locked or can they be played on any system?
    Scorpion Illuminati - An Open Source Rhythm Game For The Sega Genesis
    https://www.scorpionilluminati.tk

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Hi,

I've got a Sega Card game (Spy vs Spy), and, like Sonic Blast, it isn't loading on my Japanese SMS. I either get a blank screen, or the Space Harrier screen. I was under the impression western cards do run on the Japanese SMS? Or have I been unlucky again and the card has died?

Thanks
    I've had no problem running original Sega My Card games, Sega My Card Mark III games, or western Sega Card games on my Japanese SMS.
    Either via the Card slot or using the Card Catcher adapter cart, they work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Illuminati View Post
    That brings up the question, are Sega Card games region locked or can they be played on any system?
    They'd still need to pass the BIOS check to play on systems outside Japan (or Korea I believe).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lumclaw View Post
    They'd still need to pass the BIOS check to play on systems outside Japan (or Korea I believe).
    What does the bios check do exactly, I can't seem to find any info on tmss for the cards. I presume it's 'sega' at some register at startup?
    Scorpion Illuminati - An Open Source Rhythm Game For The Sega Genesis
    https://www.scorpionilluminati.tk

Road Rasher

I've managed to get as far as the title screen, but the game hangs. Most of my card games work fine, a couple are picky about how well they're plugged in, but do work if they're plugged in hard enough. I cannot get this to work at all. I've never made it as far as the actual game. Sometimes I get a blank black screen, sometimes I get a blank screen of a random colour, sometimes I get pure garble, sometimes I get one of those with some beeping sound, sometimes I get the Master System screen, sometimes I get the title screen but the buttons do nothing, and sometimes I get to a garbled selection screen and the buttons do nothing. It sounds to me like the card is faulty. Is there any way of cleaning it?

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Illuminati View Post
    What does the bios check do exactly, I can't seem to find any info on tmss for the cards. I presume it's 'sega' at some register at startup?
    The BIOS in the non-Japanese SMS looks for a certain header at startup. If the header isn't present, the game won't load, so some Mark III games and all SG-1000 games won't work on a non-Japanese system unless you replace the BIOS with Bock's Boot Loader or something.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    It sounds to me like the card is faulty. Is there any way of cleaning it?
    You clean the contacts just like you would with any cartridge.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    You clean the contacts just like you would with any cartridge.
    I cleaned the card, but although it's now easier to get to the title scree, I still can't get past it. It says Push Start Button; I'm pressing every button there is and nothing happens .

Not to derail from the topic, but can you play Japanese Sega card games a Western SMS? If so, I am going to buy some those card games!

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asmikace View Post
    Not to derail from the topic, but can you play Japanese Sega card games a Western SMS? If so, I am going to buy some those card games!
    A few. It's again the bios check.

Thread Information