Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found! New Leaf Entertainment Blockbuster Sega Genesis Cartridge

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Schiggidyd's Avatar

Default Update! Board Pic! New Leaf Entertainment Blockbuster Sega Genesis Cartridge

(This is a repost of my SegaAge thread)

Please scroll down for board pic update! I believe this is the first board pic ever taken of a New Leaf cart.

Hey guys, long time no post. I haven't exactly found anything noteworthy for a while, but that changed today. It was a normal day at the flea market, when this cartridge made it's way into my hands. Oddly enough, it was found in a box of Atari 2600 and 5200 cartridges. No other sega games were in the box. I knew what it was hard to find, after all, I've got most genesis games CIB already, so it was pretty convenient that it got to me.

Here's an article about New Leaf on Gamesniped (LINK)
    Here's an additional article from 1994 (LINK)
    Here's the New Leaf Entertainment advertisement.

It appears to be one of ten copies? The test market was ten Blockbuster stores in Columbia, SC, but I'm unsure if each store only had one cartridge or multiple.

Anyways, I took a few pictures before testing. I'm not aware how well this cart has been documented. Here they are:

I immediately went to my CDX and filmed my first boot attempts. I thought it would be cool for everyone else to see what I was seeing:

First attempt went straight to Sega CD menu.

Second attempt did absolutely nothing, with a blank CDX console status indicator.

So I figured it's not compatible with CDX, or it's broken.

I switched to Genesis 1, and gave it a third try. I was happy to find that the cartridge is still working, and appears to contain an early/modified Jungle Book version.

SEE THE VIDEO HERE

My video appears to be the only video available of one of these in action.

Notable differences

- Title screen reads "B.B. Flash Rom" above "Developed by Eurocom"

I will continue to check out the game and post any differences.

Thanks for reading, and I'll gladly read any questions or comments!

FOR REFERENCE:
    11/22/2016, I sold this cartridge for $1500 on Ebay, BIN, within 24 hours, before I was able to even post about it's availability. It will go a long way towards my first home.
    The second copy found (the one with the Mario sticker on it) sold for 765 BIN around May 13th 2016 from Matts Game Exchange. It was BIN very high, but they accepted a BIN for it.
    This information is from a one on one conversation with one of their employees I had on Facebook.
    Last edited by Schiggidyd; 11-23-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Turricanator Wildside Expert SwampFox56's Avatar

Absolutely incredible find if it's real. I'd definitely like to see some board picks Also you should consider buying one of these so you can dump the game into a ROM, and so people like me can analyze the code
    e.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox56 View Post
    Absolutely incredible find if it's real. I'd definitely like to see some board picks Also you should consider buying one of these so you can dump the game into a ROM, and so people like me can analyze the code
    It's definitely real. I have no problem opening it if you guys think it's safe. I'll take board pics no problem. I wasn't sure how erasable roms are and didn't want to ruin the data. So it should be fine?

Hero of Algol

The safe side would be: first dump the rom then open the cartridge. No, it's not safe to open it right away.

Great find my friend!
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 11-29-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Wow, what an Incredible find! I hadn't heard of that Service before, at least not in an idea dating back to 1994! To think that they really believed that content owners would be on-board for such a service... The mid-90s were a much more innocent time.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Wow, what an Incredible find! I hadn't heard of that Service before, at least not in an idea dating back to 1994! To think that they really believed that content owners would be on-board for such a service... The mid-90s were a much more innocent time.
    Isn't that nuts?! I don't really understand how different companies would be paid based on rentals, They wouldn't really have anything to sell anymore, I don't think the money would get to the developers or sega.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Any chance of us getting yet another awesome article from you on this subject?
    This service and this device I've never heard about them before and it's the kind of thing that not even Sega Retro has summarized AFAIK.

Some other interesting links:
    http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...r-quot-Genesis
    http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-...-game-industry

I learned something totally new from this thread. That's a very cool find indeed. After watching the video I think that the whole system being offered was a very decent attempt for the time, kind of reminds me of Sega Channel. It seems like a very risky move too, when you consider the possibility of someone using the tech for piracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Any chance of us getting yet another awesome article from you on this subject?
    This service and this device I've never heard about them before and it's the kind of thing that not even Sega Retro has summarized AFAIK.

Some other interesting links:
    http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...r-quot-Genesis
    http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-...-game-industry
    I'll look into it, but this one requires a lot of digging, and right now I don't have much time for proper research. I think I won't be able to tackle another major project for the next couple of months.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

I'll gladly assist any databases who want information on this cartridge. Board pics, ROM, etc.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Very cool find! At a flea market no less!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I know its obviously best to dump the rom before opening the cart. But in my experience I've never seen a light sensitive EPROM that doesn't have the protective sticker over the window. Not only that, but when I last spoke to the guys that dumped a cart for me, they said that they leave their chips in a UV box for about a half hour to erase them.

So is there really any risk in opening up this cartridge? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, its not something I'm all that experienced with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I know its obviously best to dump the rom before opening the cart. But in my experience I've never seen a light sensitive EPROM that doesn't have the protective sticker over the window. Not only that, but when I last spoke to the guys that dumped a cart for me, they said that they leave their chips in a UV box for about a half hour to erase them.

So is there really any risk in opening up this cartridge? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, its not something I'm all that experienced with.
    Same here though, no experience with erasable ROM's. I don't know what state the Blockbuster left it in when they called off the program.
    I'm gonna buy a Retrode and pull the ROM first.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox56 View Post
    Turns out it's safe! No exposed ROM's at all! Check out the board!

Thread Information