Quantcast

Page 52 of 133 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (Official Thread)

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Wow, it's actaully coming up pretty quick. March 3 accroding to wikipedia. I had no idea. Everytime I've popped into S-16 lately, this thread has been quite active, so I finally looked at it today. I was under the impression that the console was coming for the 2017 holidays.

Regarding the games, I'm surprised at how many are listed here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...o_Switch_games

Most of them don't have release dates listed, so who knows how far out they are, but I'm still surprised by how many developers are on board after the Wii U, at least in this early stage.

The N64 bled 3rd party support, but they were back for the GC.
    The GC bled 3rd party support, but they were back for the wii.
    The Wii bled 3rd party support, but they were back for the wii u.
    The Wii U bled 3rd party support, and they are coming back for the switch.

The moral of this story is that they will all give Nintendo a shot to see if they can make money on the system. But it's up to Nintendo to keep them there. One of their biggest failings since damn near forever now is that they do not build a system that is friendly for 3rd party multi platform games.

You can count me firmly in the camp that thinks the switch is going to be a jack of all trades (home/mobile) but not great at either, thus leading it to have piss poor support with shovelware galore and the occasional afterthought of a game ported to it.

It's up to Nintendo to prove me wrong here, but thus far they are more interested in jacking off the Japanese market with gimmicks than making a system that will be both interesting and sustainable in the world market.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    yes we do, they were even confirmed by nintendo of america's ultimate tool reggie films aime. it's going to be a grand total of 5 games
    Five games will be available on launch day but that isn't the launch window.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

This right here.....

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I don't listen to that fat bag of hot air.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    He's not the only one. Just search Nintendo Switch on youtube, and you get a ton of videos with the same type of title and generic looking screen card. But considering this thing isn't even out for a month and a half yet, and the neckbeards are all worked up into a sweaty lather, I guess you've got hand it to Nintendo. Raves or rips, buzz is buzz. What they don't want is silent indifference.

Lol. Hell hath no fury like a neckbeard scorned.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Lol. Hell hath no fury like a neckbeard scorned.
    While he doesn't exactly express it in the best ways. What he's talking about isn't exactly blindly hating on the system either.

Do I think he could have made his point without the stupid ranty bits and silly inserts? Yeah, absolutely. But then I doubt anyone would be talking about it either. He'd just be another guy listing points of contention/annoyance with Nintendo and what they are offering with the Switch.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training fr0zenbuttox's Avatar

So far, the only game i REALLY want on the system is Zelda.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    LMFAO! I'm glad you said it. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gamevet again." I would have probably been lectured for intolerant language.

Anyway, he does make plenty of valid points.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    What they don't want is silent indifference.
    With Nintendo that usually comes after the release date

'The Wii U is not our future.'

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    'The Wii U is not our future.'
    How long until, 'The Switch is not our future.'

The console does look better than the Wii-U. But you can see they are still desperately trying to find a gimmick to hook onto that will print them money like the wii did.

The wii had motion control.
    The Wii-U had the boat anchor, I mean gamepad.

The Switch? They are going extra hard.
    Motion control? Boy howdy! We got THREE motion controls in every single Switch (both joy cons + the main system).
    They have the camera thing to do... more things with.
    It's a portable! Only not really, since the battery life is shit. And we totes aren't replacing the 3DS with it either, so it's a home system, but also not really. Yay, go Nintendo!
    The controller sides detach, because why not? Everyone loves super tiny controllers. And we're 100% certain that you are going to have multiple friends huddled around this little ass screen all the time so they can play multiplayer games. (not that I think this will never happen, it will. But the amount of times it will happen is likely not going to be significant other than the novelty "lets try it" factor).

It's just trying too goddamn hard to be the special snowflake. It's throwing everything at the wall other than being a competent and competitive home console console... or even a competent and competetive mobile console. It's got the power for it, but the battery life sucks, the price is too high, and they aren't ditching the 3DS.

Which makes me question just how are they going to market it?
    Home console? Well, it's going to be underwhelming there.
    Mobile? Still underwhelming, and how will they not generate confusion between what people should get, the 3DS or the Switch?

Is the switch just going to be that home console that's really easy to take over to a friends house? Cuz, you know... 2 cables on the other consoles isn't really that difficult these days if you really want to bring stuff over. Which is STILL going to be the same 2 cables on the Switch if you don't want to play on the small screen.

I don't know. I'm happy some people like this thing. But just like the Wii-U, I'm left feeling like Nintendo just does not get modern gamers when it comes to their hardware, and is absolutely 100% against actually making any real effort to actually learn.
    I love a lot of their games, but they are just repeatedly showing their astounding lack of competence when it comes to home hardware.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    ^Yeah, I should definitely start a thread for general camera inversion.

Think of it as being born left-handed. Or heck, being born right-handed and being forced to write with your left hand. Or, perhaps, try learning a new language with no accent whatsoever after age 20 (or even age 12). Much like dexterity and phonetics, this is something your brain has already become accustomed to after some time (or even pre-programmed to). With dexterity, it would take a very early age to become truly ambidextrous. With phonetics, age 12 is around the cutoff period in development to learn a new language without an accent (give or take a couple of years depending on your surroundings).

For me,
    Airplane mode:
    X-Axis = Standard
    Y-Axis = Inverted

First Person View:
    All standard

3rd Person View:
    Both axes need to be inverted

It looks like there are three main camps of users out there.

1. Standard camera users in all modes (The majority)
    2. Inverted camera users for 3rd person games only (both x and y axes)
    3. Inverted y-axis for FPSs (this stems from pilot joystick controls)

The way I can explain my perspective is that in...

...pilot mode, left and right means my left wing is moving down if I press left and vice-versa; while holding the joystick towards me will pull the nose of the plane upward, and vice-versa.

...First person view for me is much like real life. Turning my eyes left will make me look left, up means up, down means down, right means right.

...3rd person view for me is much like having a thumbstick at the back of the head (right on the occipital region). If you move it up, the face and eyes look down. If you move it down, eyes and face look up; move left, eyes and face look right; move right, eyes and face look left.

That's how it all feels natural to me.

Now, again, unless you can do it both ways, if you truly want to put yourself in my shoes, just try playing everything inverted (if you're a standard camera user). I'm sure it won't feel good.
    I usually play inverted in 3rd person games, but I can get used to anything. I got through Wind Waker just fine. FPSes are unplayable for me if I can't invert the y-axis, though.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    How long until, 'The Switch is not our future.'

The console does look better than the Wii-U. But you can see they are still desperately trying to find a gimmick to hook onto that will print them money like the wii did.

The wii had motion control.
    The Wii-U had the boat anchor, I mean gamepad.

The Switch? They are going extra hard.
    Motion control? Boy howdy! We got THREE motion controls in every single Switch (both joy cons + the main system).
    They have the camera thing to do... more things with.
    It's a portable! Only not really, since the battery life is shit. And we totes aren't replacing the 3DS with it either, so it's a home system, but also not really. Yay, go Nintendo!
    The controller sides detach, because why not? Everyone loves super tiny controllers. And we're 100% certain that you are going to have multiple friends huddled around this little ass screen all the time so they can play multiplayer games. (not that I think this will never happen, it will. But the amount of times it will happen is likely not going to be significant other than the novelty "lets try it" factor).

It's just trying too goddamn hard to be the special snowflake. It's throwing everything at the wall other than being a competent and competitive home console console... or even a competent and competetive mobile console. It's got the power for it, but the battery life sucks, the price is too high, and they aren't ditching the 3DS.

Which makes me question just how are they going to market it?
    Home console? Well, it's going to be underwhelming there.
    Mobile? Still underwhelming, and how will they not generate confusion between what people should get, the 3DS or the Switch?

Is the switch just going to be that home console that's really easy to take over to a friends house? Cuz, you know... 2 cables on the other consoles isn't really that difficult these days if you really want to bring stuff over. Which is STILL going to be the same 2 cables on the Switch if you don't want to play on the small screen.

I don't know. I'm happy some people like this thing. But just like the Wii-U, I'm left feeling like Nintendo just does not get modern gamers when it comes to their hardware, and is absolutely 100% against actually making any real effort to actually learn.
    I love a lot of their games, but they are just repeatedly showing their astounding lack of competence when it comes to home hardware.
    "Special snowflake," different, not a computer box like XB1 and PS4, get the pitch forks!!!
    One of us, one of us, gooble gobble gooble gobble.

Here's an idea, instead of getting yourself worked up into a frenzy and writing out diatribes on the internet, you could just not buy one. That'll show those suits at Nintendo!

Antifwhaaa?!?!!? Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

To all the people worked up at how much the WiiU 2.5: Tablet edition sucks(and it's going to suck), say calm down, and get excited about how after this thing tanks Nintendo; you won't have to buy a seperate console to play Mario and Zelda games. Though hopefully you won't have to buy an Ipad.

Thread Information