Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Video Game Years takes a look at the Sega Genesis.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Default The Video Game Years takes a look at the Sega Genesis.

Oh look! It's Joe and Dave!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Adder's minion

I've been watching this series for a few months, and I'm glad they talked about the Sega Genesis (finally). I wish this series would focus on each system equally instead of being so NES-heavy. While I understand that it was the NES that brought the home video game market back to life, it wasn't the only system in existence.

But still, it was nice they gave a good overview of the Genesis.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

A brief but concise review of the Mega Drive's specs and it's early library of games on it's 1989 US launch. Nice to see the guys from Game Sack too.

Banned by Administrators

Honestly, what is the point of this video? - Outside of completely wasting my time. Because that video is not for anyone on this forum. So post that lame YouTube marking garbage for 'casuals who just discovered retrogaming yesterday' elsewhere, please. ... Or at least put some "rated casual to the extreme; For mom & dad too super old mature to have ever played games before only" warning in the OP to go with the video.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Thief, do you ever have anything positive to say, like, at all?

Banned by Administrators

^ Sure. When I'm not feeling in a joking around mood... but hanging around BioWare forums for too long has long tainted me to have a sense of humour over all else... GREAT TIMES!!

But yeah. I was waiting for a reply like yours. Thought a whole page of replies like that were about to happen. But honestly, in this case that is exactly how I felt. In any other case I would of probably said "sorry." Just not this case. That is the biggest load of BS I've ever seen on gaming on YouTube since YouTube has been conceived. It's like watching a female news reporter talking about videogames back in the late 80/early 90's. ie this is the video that comes to mind;

Because, yes. The whole time it felt like I was watching her and the other blonde her.

And another thing. This video is just a lame no effort attempt commercial to get one every host's subscribers to also try watching these other guys in the video. Because this video has absolutely nothing else going for it. I mean, what the heck am I missing? Did this video make me laugh? No. Did it talk about some awesome Genesis nostalgia that melted my Genesis heart? No. Did I see anything I haven't seen or heard before about a million times before? No. No. And no. Video is shit to me and wish I had my 4 minutes of life back. But if you honestly like it, then that's fine. And please, post what makes it so awesome to you. ie. Be my positive Yang to my negative Yin and restore balance to this topic. ... Or go smoke a joint or get drunk and have a great laugh about it (I'm going to choose the later tonight ).

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    and wish I had my 4 minutes of life back.
    And yet here you are, spending many more minutes continuing to write about what "shit" you think it is.

Seriously, I don't understand what kind of sense of "humor" you think you possess. All I read was hateful remarks toward the OP for (innocently) posting a video.

If you've actually watched some of the other episodes, it's extremely apparent that this show is made by NES fanboys. Honestly, they said more about the Genesis than I ever expected from them. They also said things that were factual about the system, so if you look at the Video Game Years as a chronicling of video game history, they could have done a FAR worse job. Also, if you were at all familiar with the series prior to yesterday you'd know that if you were expecting any sort of "nostalgia to melt your Genesis heart", you'd look elsewhere.

They did, after all, talk about goddamn Minesweeper before the Sega Genesis.
    Last edited by Paige; 12-14-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

please, post what makes it so awesome to you. ie. Be my positive Yang to my negative Yin and restore balance to this topic. ... Or go smoke a joint or get drunk and have a great laugh about it (I'm going to choose the later tonight ).
    I agree that The Video Game Years is pretty light on content. I don't watch it faithfully, and new episodes usually sit in my watch bin for a week or so before I get around to them.

HOWEVER... I have some familiarity with these Retroware guys so I do enjoy watching them. It's a series that, in execution, probably falls below the grasp of their original intent. But it's supposed to be a year-by-year glance at where the pulse of the video game community was. I'm not sure that it's supposed to be particularly informative, I think it's basically a compilation of anecdotes more than anything else. People can bitch and moan about how much focus is being put on the NES, but that's what the system of choice was in 1989. I found the first handful of episodes to be quite boring, when they were slogging through the various pong systems of the late 70s.

Now if they continue to pour more attention on the SNES than the Genesis in the next few episodes, then I will concede to the "NES fanboy" complaint.

But moreover, I would suggest drinking a beer and smoking your joint BEFORE you decide to shit on every thread you come across. I'm all for differing opinions and I like a good, well-worded debate, but when your opening post in every thread I've seen is dripping with hyperbolic e-bitterness, it makes me think that that's all you really want to do.

I'm not going to try to tell you to "say something nice or nothing at all," but perhaps you might want to try it once or twice.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Paige View Post
    And yet here you are, spending many more minutes continuing to write about what "shit" you think it is.
    That's just the forums life spirit. Plus in my opinion I believe to have a very good point. Lots of crap YouTube vids out there that we won't ever be running in short supply. So if you're going to be posting about a vid you want others to see on a forum, I beg of others to put some warning that it's crap so that we may laugh together at or don't post it at all. Common sense & courtesy the way I see it. Yet folks always walk in your place without taking their shoes off or closing the door behind them like they've watched too much Flinstones.... ce la vie, as they say.

Seriously, I don't understand what kind of sense of "humor" you think you possess. All I read was hateful remarks toward the OP for (innocently) posting a video.
    Dark Evil humour. And somebody out there got it, because I got rep for it being funny. Because he said "Haha, spot on."

If you've actually watched some of the other episodes, it's extremely apparent that this show is made by NES fanboys. Honestly, they said more about the Genesis than I ever expected from them. They also said things that were factual about the system, so if you look at the Video Game Years as a chronicling of video game history, they could have done a FAR worse job. Also, if you were at all familiar with the series prior to yesterday you'd know that if you were expecting any sort of "nostalgia to melt your Genesis heart", you'd look elsewhere.
    So because it could of done far worse, it automatically makes it good... please refrain from sharing you logic with me from now on.

PS - that was a joke. As in, I've got nothing against you.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I agree that The Video Game Years is pretty light on content. I don't watch it faithfully, and new episodes usually sit in my watch bin for a week or so before I get around to them.

HOWEVER... I have some familiarity with these Retroware guys so I do enjoy watching them. It's a series that, in execution, probably falls below the grasp of their original intent. But it's supposed to be a year-by-year glance at where the pulse of the video game community was. I'm not sure that it's supposed to be particularly informative, I think it's basically a compilation of anecdotes more than anything else. People can bitch and moan about how much focus is being put on the NES, but that's what the system of choice was in 1989. I found the first handful of episodes to be quite boring, when they were slogging through the various pong systems of the late 70s.

Now if they continue to pour more attention on the SNES than the Genesis in the next few episodes, then I will concede to the "NES fanboy" complaint.

But moreover, I would suggest drinking a beer and smoking your joint BEFORE you decide to shit on every thread you come across. I'm all for differing opinions and I like a good, well-worded debate, but when your opening post in every thread I've seen is dripping with hyperbolic e-bitterness, it makes me think that that's all you really want to do.

I'm not going to try to tell you to "say something nice or nothing at all," but perhaps you might want to try it once or twice.
    Hey, that was a totally informative post worthy of my time. Thanks.

And it came across as shitting all over without anything nice to say because I couldn't believe how bad that vid was and that was honestly my first thought of it, so that's what I wrote. I even hesitated about hitting the post button, but I do that too often, and I'm actually one of the guys where I wish folks would just post their thoughts more without holding back worrying if it's politicly correct or not. Just whatever, chill and life goes on. Folks worrying to much about being politicly correct and always saying sorry when they belch is pretty lame in mine and others opinion. If you got to belch, belch, laugh and enjoy. It's part of life. And when you've got to fart, well, just make sure it's not in front of a very hot grill your hitting on.

Obviously, the concept of this show went right over his head.

The show is pretty much the videogame version of VH1's We Love the 80s'. It was never meant to be the complete history of anything.

And why wouldn't the show's content be flooded with NIntendo stuff between 1985-1989? They could only talk about the 7800, Lynx and SMS for so much.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-14-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

^ It doesn't matter what it was supposed to be. It's very terrible and not worth anyone on this forums time in my opinion, is all I was saying. So it's fine if anyone disagrees with me. But I honestly was really shocked someone on this forum posted that video like all Sega 16 forums members had to see this. I mean, would you like if I started topics pointing to every shitty YouVid I come across just because Sega Genesis was mentioned? I hope not & that's my point.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

^ It doesn't matter what it was supposed to be. It's very terrible and not worth anyone on this forums time in my opinion, is all I was saying. So it's fine if anyone disagrees with me. But I honestly was really shocked someone on this forum posted that video like all Sega 16 forums members had to see this. I mean, would you like if I started topics pointing to every shitty YouVid I come across just because Sega Genesis was mentioned? I hope not & that's my point.
    I hope your joint helped to chill you out because you seem to be wound a little too tightly. I understood your initial point about the video but it was still fun to watch and in no way should have bothered you anywhere near as much as it apparently has.

If you like it, move along. I find the show to be very entertaining

It would get pretty old if everything was a serious documentary.

Banned by Administrators

^ So, wait, your saying you're the only one who thought it didn't suck? ... Well, that sucks. My next rebuttal was that everyone was still basically agreeing with me that it sucked. But now that you say you like it... well, I don't know what else to say. I'm speechless and without a rebuttal. ... Right. Time to hit the off topic section next. My mission here is complete.

If you think that everyone was agreeing with you, then you are baked.

What part of people saying that they enjoy watching those videos gave you any inclination they they were agreeing with you? They were telling you to quit being a sour puss, take a toke n' chill.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-15-2015 at 12:41 AM.

Thread Information