Quantcast

Thread: Jumpy video, no right audio channel on Model 2 Sega Genesis (Mega Drive / MD)

Sports Talker

Default No right audio channel on Model 2 Sega Genesis (Mega Drive / MD)

I have a model 2 VA 1 USA Genesis.

When using a composite cable, the right channel audio is mute. When using an official Sega brand RF cable, the audio is present across both TV speakers.

Could the solder joints for the video out be cold? I have resoldered power connectors on Model 2s before when the power was cutting out due to cold or loosened solder points.

To eliminate the obvious, I checked the cable, TV, and separate Model 2 Genesis. The problem is squarely with this model 2. I attached pics of the solder points for the video out in case it helps.

Click on the images to view larger size

Last edited by yZoneFox; 12-14-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Removed bits about jumpy video due to cause being the TV.

You sure it's not the cable? Third party cables have no right channel wired properly which leads to only audio on the left channel. Use a multimeter and check continuity to pin 8 and 9 to the center RCA pin to see if it's wired properly.

Sports Talker

I was confused at first by your pinout diagram. I then realized it was the mirror image of my cable. There are only three pins in my cable. They refer to Stereo R, Stereo L, and Composite Video. http://pinouts.ru/Game/sega2_pinout.shtml

As stated, I tested different Genesis systems, cables, and TVs to factor out the problem.

Maybe bad caps.

Wildside Expert

can u confirm this circled in yellow is nothing and is just the photo? test for continuity.

mayb some photos of the other side and all around the motherboard? we might be able to pick something up fingers crossed.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by wrx884 View Post
    can u confirm this circled in yellow is nothing and is just the photo? test for continuity.
    This isn't a scratch. There is a cloudy film that is around parts of the motherboard. I tested the from the through-hole to the two points following (near the bottom) for continuity and got nice confirming beeps that they are connected.

This time I also tested continuity between the pins on the bottom side and the stereo L and stereo R output of the AV port on the reverse side. They also tested positive for continuity. Could this mean the problem lies elsewhere on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx884 View Post
    mayb some photos of the other side and all around the motherboard? we might be able to pick something up fingers crossed.
    Click on the images to view larger size

Top side all in one shot:

Close-ups of top side

Close-ups of bottom side

Close-up of port on top side.

Thread Information