Quantcast

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Winner Is You 2016 Edition

Default A Winner Is You 2016 Edition

Yep folks, a new year means a new thread.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

1. Emily's Away (PC)

Free to play text... game... Very short. Super retro looking, like... older than windows 3.1 kind of look. Basically you have instant message chats with a crush of yours over the course of college. The interface is 'pick your response, then mash on the keyboard to simulate typing it'. The game is vaguely amusing and interesting the first time through, however you naturally try to play again to see how you can affect results - and basically you can't. You actually have almost no agency throughout the game, and even when you are cautious, your character does things you probably didn't want.

I can't say it's really worth bothering with, it sounded a lot more interesting than it actually turned out to be. There are some good critiques on the game and how the characters are written which are actually more deserving of merit than the game itself is. Oh well. It has some decent (and easily obtained if you know the trick) achievements for your profile achievement list if you show that

Red Steel 2 - Wii

Beat this one a couple months ago. Absolutely incredible game, one of my favorites ever. The gameplay is pure perfection. It plays kind of similarly to Maken X on the Dreamcast but it's way way better than that game in every way. Bought this used from GameStop for $1.99, one of the best two dollar purchases I've ever made. Highly recommended. 10/10

Resident Evil 4 - Wii

Well it only took me an entire year, but I finally finished this one. Great game. My favorite RE game so far easily, it's the only one in the series that I can say is actually fun to play (I enjoyed the first RE, but it's not really "fun"). Frustratingly difficult in some parts but at least it's super forgiving with the checkpoints. Glad I played the Wii version, I couldn't imagine playing this with a standard controller, it must be horrible. Still have to finish Ada's missions and whatever other bonus quests there are but for now I've moved on to other games. 9/10

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

1. HALO: CE Anniversary - Xbox One (Halo: The Master Chief Collection)

Playing through this remastered version of the original was a real treat. It's hard to think of any other FPS that would top the gameplay perfection of the first Halo. To be able to toggle back and forth between the old graphics and the enhanced ones was amazing. I think I'll go for a full Halo Marathon now.

P.S.> Still hate that darn warthog ending.

Needed maximum lives and even a continue, but I just beat Turtles the Hyperstone on hard mode playing as Raphael Damn... I'm lazy and usually play it on easy.
    Finished on normal yesterday but hard mode is another thing. Is it any easier with the other Turtles?

I tried Michaelangelo. I thought he was easier. But I have not yet tried to beat the game.

Thanks, maybe I'll try it with different Turtles some time

I just finished Jurassic Park on hard mode for the first time today, both Grant and Raptor.
    With Grant I effed up twice in the vulcano level, though I did accidentally find out you could bring down some stalactites using the pink grenades.
    Not sure if it can be used against the raptor near it, yet. It's always fun to find something new in a game you've played for so many years.
    No contintues needed.

With the Raptor, I screwed up in the canyon once and another time in the Visitor's Center. Barely made it with about 30% health left.
    No continues needed.

2. Tales of Borderlands (PC)

I've not played a Telltales game before, but watched a few, so I knew pretty much what I was getting into. Oh, and I put a few hundred hours into Borderlands 2 as well. Eep.

In general, Tales has good characters (a couple I *really* liked quite a lot), the plot is ridiculous but that's what you get from Borderlands (space in particular is remarkably forgiving), and the dialogue choices are generally fun. There's some good humour in there, and it's not quite as puerile as BL tends to get (thankfully). Some fairly big name characters are in it, and there are a couple of cameos as well. I guess the very finale is a bit of a whimper, but it's pretty expected really. ~2 hrs per episode, so about 10 hrs all up.

I'd recommend it if you're into Borderlands at all and don't mind something a lot less actiony. Probably doesn't do much for non-BL aficionados though.

Finished two more Mega Drive games on their hardest mode for the first time.

Jurassic Park Rampage Edition (how I love this game) on hard mode, completed with both Grand and the Raptor. Had no trouble with Grant, no lives lost.
    Everything went smooth with the Raptor as well, until I reached the River level and lost two lives due to the insane amount of damage the Triceratops does while it walks through the water.

The Terminator on very difficult mode. I was having a hard time in the first level until I reached the machine gun.
    Is there any real difference in difficulty other than the location of the gun in the first level? Didn't have any trouble otherwise.

mEIJYma0fjjvICrxedaXazw.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Trophy Hunter (PC)

I've had this game since the 90s. I remember fiddling around with it as a kid, but never finding any animals. So last week, I decided to pop it in for the nostalgia. It played surprisingly well with Windows 8 (the same cannot be said for most of my old PC games).

It's a pretty basic little hunting game taking place in a non-descript woodsy area with a handful of moose, elk, bear, and bighorn sheep to shoot. For weapons, you can choose rifle, shotgun, muzzle-loader, revolver, or bow and arrow. The revolver gives you six shots, but is super-jerky. The rifle gives you one shot, but is relatively steady. You get to pick four items to put in your pack, ranging from animal calls and scents that never really seem to help to trail markers. The ambient noise sounds decent, and your hunter will chip in some voice samples every now and then. All in all, though, it gets old fast wandering across the map, struggling to find animals. When you do find them, you better be sure you've got a good aim, as it's really easy to miss. A cool element is that sometimes you will just wound an animal and have to track it across the map.

Well, I eventually got tired of missing animal after animal, and decided to look up some cheat codes. And boy, are there some fun ones! There are codes to show you where all the animals are located, attract them to you, steady your weapon, etc. But the most fun of all is the rocket-launcher! Type in BGBARBECUE and your hunter will utter a "muahahah" and switch out your dinky little shotgun for the big, honking Disemboweler 3000, allowing you to fry the poor animals with missiles! Fire up the grill, indeed! Of course, if you do this, your trophy in the trophy room will have a red "Cheated!" label on it. Killjoys.

Once you bag one of each animal, you've pretty much seen all RMTH has to offer. Depending on your skill or willingness to cheat, this can take anywhere from 30-45 minutes. After that, the replay value isn't very high, unfortunately. The graphics are actually pretty decent even now, and the gameplay is pretty fun while it lasts. It's a cheap hunting game from 1999, but I had a lot of fun with it.

6/10

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Shining Force CD

this was the sequel to part 1 i'd wanted from 2, pretty basic plot as always but just a lotta fun, totally had to use a guide for some secret characters & missed book 4 ticket, but man there's a ton of quality content here! really gonna try to work on this series proper this year.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

1. Shadow Warrior, 2013 (PC)

Holy Shitballs, what a game, what a game. I have to thank Knuckle Duster for posting the trailer for the game sometime in the past few weeks; I was totally blown away by how awesome it looked, that I immediately ordered a copy off Amazon. And I'm glad I did, this is without doubt one of the most fun over-the-top video games I've played in quite a while.

This is the treatment Duke Nukem should of got - a fun, fresh take on a classic FPS that stays true to it's roots but is not afraid to try and do new things. The game plays alot like it's 1997 counterpart, being a classic FPS at heart (collecting medipacks, no handholding, collecting keycards, etcetera) as well as retaining it's sword combat (although vastily improved and expanded upon in this installment) as well as it's humour. And man, does this game love it's humour. The main protagonist, Lo Wang, is constantly throwing around bad one-liners and making humourous comments through the game, and not once does it get annoying. The game also retains it's graphic violence, and again, it loves that too. Expect bodyparts being chopped up into tiny bits and blood spraying everywhere to be a common sight.

The game also improves upon the first by allowing you to upgrade weapons and buy skills (all of which is optional, so you don't have to do any of it if you choose not to) and also greatly expands upon the sword combat, by now allowing you to perform combos. This is the heart of the game, and the developers truly have done a great job in making it addictive as fuck. Although you have access to rocket launchers, shotguns, flamethrowers and even a crossbow, the sword is champ and will be your go-to tool for slaying the game's many foes.

All in all, I had a great time with this. I definitely recommend this to anyone else who likes classic FPS, or just good games in general. You won't be disappointed. The game also got ported to the Xbone and PS4 last year, so if you don't have a gaming PC, I'd suggest grabbing one of those versions. There's also a sequel due sometime this year, which looks it's radically expands upon the original. In a nutshell: fantastic game, that everyone needs to play.

2. HALO 2: Anniversary - Xbox One (Halo: The Master Chief Collection)

I have never played part 2 on the original Xbox, but this game still lets you toggle on and off between the original version and the remastered version with the touch of a button. To say the least, I felt like pressing that button maybe less than 5 times. This newly remastered version looks gorgeous. They really made it into a current gen title. The gameplay was still as smooth as in part 1; and the addition of the left hand weapon to double up was just awesome and worked flawlessly. I've seen this in other games, but not as an option one can take advantage of throughout the entire campaign. I do have to say, though, that the basic weapons felt less formidable than before. It took way too many shots on easy mode to kill even the smallest of aliens. I guess they really wanted you to make use of the double weapons. Once I got used to it, I was back on track. But I did miss the one shot kills, so I went with the sword for more than half the time.

Great game overall.

@The Jackal: Shadow Dancer sounds like fun I played a lot of Duke Nukem 3d, Shadow Warrior and Blood back in the day. Blood is still my favorite, just the first game and its addons though - never liked the second one.

3. Magic Girl - Sega Genesis/MD (FaseBonus version)

This is the repackaged version of the original. I don't think FaseBonus (aka 1985alternativo) changed anything about it. I've had this one on the shelf for quite some time, but with the arrival of SFT's Magic Girl, I thought I'd give it an honest try. Overall, a cutesy title with some memorable tracks and beautiful colors. It is on the easier spectrum of shmups, but you still get your ass handed down to you on the final level. There are five levels total, so it's short, whether you beat it or not. It took me a while to realize a good method for the final level. I could always get to the final boss ever since my first gameplay, but never gave it an honest try. I figured the best way to beat the last level is to save all the bombs for the final boss. You can play well in the first four levels like I did and save all your continues, but if you don't have a strategy for level 5, you're done. So far this is my favorite of the FaseBonus releases.

Thread Information