Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Playing at the Next Level: A History of American Sega Games

Sonic Preview: Playing at the Next Level: A History of American Sega Games

I posted this on the site's Facebook page, but I'm posting it here so we can have a discussion about it.

You may have noticed that the amount of my writing contributions to Sega-16 has kind of dipped over the past year. Part of that was due to me working on my doctoral dissertation, but most of it came from another Sega-related project that I’ve occasionally hinted at here and on our forums. After 14 months of work, that project is now finished and can finally be revealed!

Last month, I submitted to my publisher the manuscript for a book chronicling the game development history of Sega of America. Tentatively titled: “Achieving the Next Level: The History of American Sega Games,” the book is an exhaustive retrospective of SOA as a game-maker, from its founding in 1986 and the first steps taken on the Master System to its final efforts on the Dreamcast. Nearly 100 former SOA alumni (including each of its presidents from 1986-2001) and independent game developers were interviewed, and the creation processes of almost 40 Sega-published titles are documented. Every one of SOA’s internal studios is included, many of which have never before been examined.

This book is not about the history of Sega as a company. Rather, it’s about the games themselves, a detailed history of Sega of America’s product development division – how it grew and went on to fuel much of the company’s overall success. The writing style is the same used in the articles I’ve written for Sega-16, and some of the historical articles I’ve done for the site have been greatly revised and expanded, with new people interviewed and familiar faces revisited for more detail. I’ve done everything possible to make this book as comprehensive and factual as possible, and I simply cannot wait until it’s out!

More information, such as the release date, size (it should weigh in at around 500 pages or so), availability, and price will be posted here as they’re made available to me. I just wanted to finally let the cat out of the bag and share what’s been my passion project and a dream come true with all our readers.

So, there it is! I hope this will be something that both Segaphiles and video game fans in general will enjoy reading. Most of all, I hope it will become a valuable addition to the literature on gaming history, shining light on a part of gaming that has been overlooked for far too long.

More details to come soon!

UPDATE:
    A preview of the book is now available on the site! It has the complete contents, and it can be read here.

Last edited by Melf; 10-10-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Sounds absolutely fantastic!

Do you have any deals in place to use official Sega art, screenshots, logos, etc in the book?

It'll be an instant buy for me. Thanks very much for putting so much work and effort in this Melf!
    Review in Progress -

Next on the Review List -

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Sounds absolutely fantastic!

Do you have any deals in place to use official Sega art, screenshots, logos, etc in the book?
    Nothing official from Sega. I tried to contact them several times but never got a response. I'm still trying, though, as I can still add images to the book while the text is being copy-edited and then type-set.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Nothing official from Sega. I tried to contact them several times but never got a response. I'm still trying, though, as I can still add images to the book while the text is being copy-edited and then type-set.
    Would you be able to go the unofficial, fair use route if you don't get a response?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Game Taff's Avatar

I cannot freakin' wait! Thank you for your hard work!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

This should be a good read, I'll look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Would you be able to go the unofficial, fair use route if you don't get a response?
    Unfortunately, no. The publisher requires written permission for all images. I do have a lot of pictures of SOA people that have not been published before, but I would like to use concept art and other assets.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

Best of luck!

I plan on picking up a copy.

You've shown us the menu and I'm ready to sink my teeth onto the main course.
    Diabetes sucks!

Yay! The first coverage is up! I hope more sites decide to cover it as we get closer to publication.

Nameless One

Congratulations on getting your book published, I'll look forward to it

I bugged Ken about his book some more and got answers to questions I know I wanted... answered?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    I find the issue of “SOA vs. SOJ” to be problematic because you only really have one side of the story. While I have zero reason to believe that there’s some wild conspiracy among dozens of former SOA people to make Japan look bad 20 years after the fact, I would like to hear the whole story.
    That's not really the case... is it?

Sega-16: Did you ever notice a change in the relationship as time went on? There has always been this controversy about the relationship between SOA and SOJ deteriorating towards the mid ’90s.

Joe Miller: I can only speak from a personal perspective, based on my relationships and meetings, and I never saw a deteriorating side of that. There was a lot of consternation in the latter days, when we had the real issues surrounding the timing of the launch of Saturn and the competing platforms out there, what we were doing, and what our strategy was with respect to getting better 32X penetration with third parties, etc. We had many serious conversations, but we never lost the personal and professional respect that we had garnered during the salad days, the growth years when we were exceeding expectations and meeting or beating the numbers we had committed to. I’d say that the rhetoric around the deteriorating relationship is probably overblown a little bit, based on what I’ve read. Nakayama-san and SOJ knew they had a strong, proven management team in place at SOA, and while everyone was concerned about growing the business, neither side lost confidence in the other.
    Sega-16: Tom Kalinske, among others, has said that the internal rivalry between the American and Japanese branches of Sega stemmed from the success of the Genesis in the U.S. Reportedly, the Japanese executives were none too happy with being upstaged by SOA. Do you think this is true?

Mike Wallis: I heard that story as well. Tom certainly operated at a higher level in the corporation than I did, but from my own experience, the executives and managers at Sega of Japan who I interfaced with were very respectful and professional. I never had a problem working with them, never got the feeling they were resentful or jealous. Our relationship was built out of mutual respect, trust, and professionalism.

When I was planning on leaving Sega, several of them even called me at home to try to convince me to stay. It was humbling receiving a call from a senior exec at SOJ asking me to reconsider taking another job. That says a lot about their character.
    Sure seems like several SoA people DON'T agree with the "usual story"...

Wallis was a producer and didn't work at the senior management level, so that might have something to do with it. I'm sure there were lots of people who had the same experience. There were many others who didn't. That's why I don't feel confident in writing anything concrete about that aspect of Sega's history, because we don't have all the facts.

Thread Information