Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about some Sega Saturn love on Sega-16?

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    If folks want to see Saturn and Dreamcast coverage, the best way is probably to help complete the systems we already cover. There are so many games that still need a review!

I appreciate the way Melf is keeping the site focused on a mission to document all the Genesis/Mega Drive games (and Sega CD & 8-bit games), not just the greatest hits. Sometimes it feels like some folks come to this site solely to talk about the most popular games over and over again, plus argue about the Nintendo 64.

Do people really want this expansion because it'd be good for the site, or just because they want another place to debate imaginary histories, Sonic Adventure, and whether Tom Kalinske dances with the devil in the pale moon light?

Because it would be good for the site!!!

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    How about an Orbi forum?
    Meh its been done already.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/group.php?groupid=29

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Making a whole new site is useless. This is a small community focused around videogames with a heavy Sega focus. The Saturn and DC fit in with the existing content just as much as the 32x, so there's no reason to not just add two new sections.

Actually I'd personally merge the 32x and Sega CD as a Genesis/MD add on section then give the Saturn and DC their own forums... especially since there are 32x CD games that require both peripherals to play them.

If they went that route, then that wouid give a net addition of 1 section.
    I don't know if I can agree, the Saturn/Dreamcast are like the second era of Sega consoles. The SMS/Genesis/CD/32x all feel like a somewhat similar era of consoles, but after that it seems a lot different. Exactly like NES/SNES vs N64 vs Gamecube/Wii.

And someone already owns the Sega-32.com domain, it redirects to a forum with far inferior forum software.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    If folks want to see Saturn and Dreamcast coverage, the best way is probably to help complete the systems we already cover. There are so many games that still need a review!

I appreciate the way Melf is keeping the site focused on a mission to document all the Genesis/Mega Drive games (and Sega CD & 8-bit games), not just the greatest hits. Sometimes it feels like some folks come to this site solely to talk about the most popular games over and over again, plus argue about the Nintendo 64.

Do people really want this expansion because it'd be good for the site, or just because they want another place to debate imaginary histories, Sonic Adventure, and whether Tom Kalinske dances with the devil in the pale moon light?
    This. Lol.

To be very honest, I don't think our Saturn's and DC's sub-communities are for real. 99% of the time I see just a lot bullshit talking, alternate realities crap and some really, really shallow discussions about games. Go to the "A Winner is You" thread and see how much of those games are Saturn and DC titles; you'll be in shock given how little the people actually play those systems compared to how much they whine about the lack of Sega-16 coverage for them.

By the way, a lot of people who are often in the Off Topic and Insert Coin sections of the forum - talking crap for the most part - I rarely if ever see commenting anything in the threads dedicated to the actual content of the site or talking about Sega games in the several other consoles section we already have. This is very telling IMO.

A lot of trolls and attention whores versus very, very few Sega gamers; this is what I've seen in our forum lately. We don't have a lack of content or coverage; in relation to the total number of members we have a serious lack of good and focused active members.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-14-2016 at 03:54 AM.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider View Post
    I don't know if I can agree, the Saturn/Dreamcast are like the second era of Sega consoles. The SMS/Genesis/CD/32x all feel like a somewhat similar era of consoles, but after that it seems a lot different. Exactly like NES/SNES vs N64 vs Gamecube/Wii.

And someone already owns the Sega-32.com domain, it redirects to a forum with far inferior forum software.
    They fit in because this is Sega-16. Not Sega 8, Sega 32, Sega Handheld, or anything of the sort. It has a focus on the Genesis/MD, but it's already expanded beyond that, both in terms of system capability, and generations.

Nintendo coverage I would also argue for moving to eventually support the newer consoles, but they are still releasing new hardware. Sega's last system was released over 16 years ago and died fairly soon after.

Everything in Sega's home console hardware line up is now discontinued and off the market longer than when Sega-16 first started covering the Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This. Lol.
    By the way, a lot of people who are often in the Off Topic and Insert Coin sections of the forum - talking crap for the most part - I rarely if ever see commenting anything in the threads dedicated to the actual content of the site or talking about Sega games in the several other consoles section we already have. This is very telling IMO.
    I think that's mostly because those are two "catch all" forums. There's just more, and more new, topics to bring up in those as opposed to the console specific forums (after all, there is rarely news related directly to the older consoles).

Insert Coin has topics come up that span all console generations from the start to current. Even things that might fit into the Genesis section (as an example), get brought up here because they are not exclusively Genesis/MD related.
    Last edited by EclecticGroove; 01-14-2016 at 07:58 AM.

Nameless One

To me the Saturn is a mysterious black beast that I never saw out in the wild even when it was still being supported by sega. I didn't know a single person that had one. Now that I own one, I think its AMAZING!!! If writing reviews for games that haven't been covered yet will get me closer to Saturn coverage on this site; I'm totally down.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

🙌 Well, I am in the minority I like to turn on my Sega Saturn and use it almost as much as my other pre-Y2K systems. To tell the truth I am more interested in tech talk and repair not so much the games but still interested. But that's just me I'm a what makes it tic kind of guy. To read this kind of stuff "Suffice it to say, the Saturn was the greatest blunder in gaming hardware and the worst major console of all time. It's as simple as that." the Sega Saturn needs some defense. Not going to twist anyone's arm just raise my my hand in a vote.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

i recall being heartbroken then the saturn demo kiosk showed up at my local EB & heard about the $400 price tag...i was super sour grapes about the saturn as a teen.

finally diving in a few years ago, everything i didn't like about it - all the arcade stuff vs popular ports, SOJ putting their best teams on new IPs instead of stuff that'd appeal to me, etc - shine so much brighter now. shame the scene is so stupidly expensive these days, but it's been about my favorite system of the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    To be very honest, I don't think our Saturn's and DC's sub-communities are for real. 99% of the time I see just a lot bullshit talking, alternate realities crap and some really, really shallow discussions about games. Go to the "A Winner is You" thread and see how much of those games are Saturn and DC titles; you'll be in shock given how little the people actually play those systems compared to how much they whine about the lack of Sega-16 coverage for them.
    while i can appreciate this sentiment, for myself, i talk a fuckton about saturn & some DC stuff at GAF, for lack of a more focused place - i'd totally start doing that here more. that said, i'm part of the problem by holding up a review!

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

I loved my Saturn personally. I played it more than the PSX until well after the Saturn stopped getting new games. I think it wasn't until ff7 that I started to play my PS1 more. And once I was done with FF7, I still went back and played the Saturn a lot.

Was the same with the DC as well. I played the hell out of it. I didn't get a PS2 until long after the launch... there was just nothing worth having on it for almost a year really. I kept playing my DC until the oXbox and GC started having awesome games on it. Between those two and the PS2 there was finally enough to pull me away from the DC.

I don't play as many on those systems simply as a matter of convenience right now. The Genesis I have my nomad + everdrive. And that gets the majority of my retro time at the moment. I'm looking forward to my mini getting in so I can have the full consoles hooked up to my tv in a much smoother fashion.

Thread Information