Quantcast

Thread: Strange Game Gear video and control problem related solely to cartridge (wrong colors

Sports Talker

Default Strange Game Gear video and control problem related solely to cartridge (wrong colors

I recently purchased a Tails Adventure cart. When the game boots, all pixels have an orange hue to them. Additionally, the game does not respond to button presses. Upon opening the cart, I believe I see some corrosion on the circuit. It looks piled up. I ran over it with isopropyl alcohol but it does not come off. The game still has the problems after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

To be clear, yes, I have dialed up and down brightness and this does not change the color hue. Even so, it still wouldn't fix the non-responsive buttons.

Has anyone ever encountered an issue like this? Does anyone have suggestions on fixing the problem?

Pics included:

How the same scene in the intro should look:

Pics of corrosion:

Pic of cart back side:

My guess is caps in the GG itself.

Sports Talker

I should have specified that I tested this on two different Game Gears and both exhibit the same problem and only with this one cartridge. All other games display and function correctly.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

The trace that connects pin 42 (pinout here) to ground has broken. Scrape off the corrosion with a razor blade and solder the trace to ground. Check the continuity with a multi-meter. Otherwise, you'll be stuck in Master System mode.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Both of those look pretty gross on the PCB. Yuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

If the "mode" pin is not set correctly, the GG will boot the game in SMS compatibility mode and boy, that sure looks ODD. VERY ODD.

Had that happen to me a couple times already when the cart connector was dirty.
    I'd like to share some wisdom:
    Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    I'm too lazy to be unstoppable.
    you can have shame, as long as you don't feel it

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    The trace that connects pin 42 (pinout here) to ground has broken. Scrape off the corrosion with a razor blade and solder the trace to ground. Check the continuity with a multi-meter. Otherwise, you'll be stuck in Master System mode.
    I'm not familiar with pinouts for Game Gear, nor am I that experienced with soldering and so I placed this project on hold. However, today I opened up a Batman & Robin cart and saw that someone soldered a cable from one of the pads, C1, on the board to pin 16 on the ROM.

Is this what you meant?

Wildside Expert

see how in ur batman and robin cart the traces connect to the 2 pin pads drawn in green? ur tails cart needs to have the same connection made again to ground them when the cart is inserted, so further down u need to scrape away the green protective layer to expose the bare traces and unfortunately u will need to solder a wire to create that same connection again just like the batman cart is.

Thread Information