Quantcast

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: List of games deserving a Color Hack

I just found a game that would need a color hack. And it's not even for aesthetic reasons only, but actually utilitarian ones. Daffy Duck in Hollywood, you simply can't tell what's foreground and what's background, what can hurt you and what can't.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training aMaru's Avatar

I've been reverse engineering the Ghouls'n Ghosts ROM for some time now, I'm sharing some initial experiments I made with color hacking for stages 1 and 3.

LEFT: original MD game -- CENTER: modified MD game -- RIGHT: original arcade game

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aMaru; 07-25-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by aMaru View Post
    I've been reverse engineering the Ghouls'n Ghosts ROM for some time now, I'm sharing some initial experiments I made with color hacking for stages 1 and 3.

LEFT: original MD game -- CENTER: modified MD game -- RIGHT: original arcade game

Are you able to expand the rom and expand the number of tiles per area? That's really what the game needs.

And here are some pictures from stage 3.
    As in the previous set:

In both stages I've tried to get as faithful as the original arcade color scheme as possible, and to make assets from the plane A and plane B stand out more clearly compared to the original MD game.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Are you able to expand the rom and expand the number of tiles per area? That's really what the game needs.
    The pictures I'm showing now are related to some preliminary experiments I made to get familiar with the game engine, so here I'm mostly only changing the colors and doing some minor edits to the original tile art.
    However, my longer term goal is to heavily edit the graphics, using assets from the original game and re-ingeneering the way colors are organized (main sprite/enemy sprites/background), as in the original ROM the backgrounds (both planes) only use 16 colors.
    So, to answer your question, yes, I'm expanding the ROM size to host the new graphics, and modifying the game logic to stream new tile data on the fly.
    This is the trickiest bit, as the MD game designers chose to keep all the tiles for every frame of enemy animation in the VRAM permanently, so there is really little space left for the backgrounds.

I'll soon share some pictures of my ongoing work.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Lord Hiryu's Avatar

It looks very nice. very promising.

I see that you have edited several tiles especially in the first phase. Excellent.

Since you are going to enlarge the size of the rom, take a good look when you extract the graphics, because there are also the graphics of the arcade intro inside rom file.

They are compressed graphics, I think with Nemesis.

I congratulate you. A great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hiryu View Post
    It looks very nice. very promising.

I see that you have edited several tiles especially in the first phase. Excellent.

Since you are going to enlarge the size of the rom, take a good look when you extract the graphics, because there are also the graphics of the arcade intro inside rom file.

They are compressed graphics, I think with Nemesis.

I congratulate you. A great job.
    Thanky you Lord Hiryu, I'm glad you like it.
    Unfortunately editing the original tiles doesn't really allow for huge aesthetic improvements, as the amount of tile reuse (vertically/horizontally flipped) is impressive, so editing one tile affects more than the spot you want to modify.
    They really played all kinds of tricks to minimize the ROM size.

And yes, you are right, the ROM contains the graphics for the intro and everything is Nemesis compressed.
    Basically all the art is Nemesis compressed with only few small exceptions (e.g., the map)

That's why I am trying to modify the way tiles are streamed into the VRAM.
    Now it's almost entirely static, we need tiles to be swapped continuously to allow for more detailed graphics.

Here is another exercise I made to experiment with dynamic color/tile swapping.
    In the arcade game the gargoyles in stage 3 change color four times as you move to the right, while in the original MD game they maintain the same dark shade.
    Changing the palette colors on the fly to modify this is not sufficient, as you typically have gargoyles with different colors onscreen at the same time.

Thus you need two sets of colors and two sets of tiles, then you colow-swap between these two.

Here is what I obtained

Original MD game

Modified MD game

Original arcade game

Striders on fire!

Here is another exercise I made to experiment with dynamic color/tile swapping.
    In the arcade game the gargoyles in stage 3 change color four times as you move to the right, while in the original MD game they maintain the same dark shade.
    Changing the palette colors on the fly to modify this is not sufficient, as you typically have gargoyles with different colors onscreen at the same time.

Thus you need two sets of colors and two sets of tiles, then you colow-swap between these two.

Here is what I obtained

Original MD game

Modified MD game

Original arcade game
    excellent work, the pallete transition is very cool and gives a new look to BG, keep going!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    excellent work, the pallete transition is very cool and gives a new look to BG, keep going!
    Thanks a lot Pyron. I'm working with original game assets now, and increasing the color count allowed for the BGs by design.
    More pictures coming soon!

Some updates on my Ghouls'n Ghosts ARCADE project.
    These are the first images where the background graphics have been entirely redrawn for the first part of stage 1.

I'm trying to include all original assets from the arcade game, although not all the original tiles could be retained due to VRAM space.
    Much work has been invested in editing the assets to deal with color limitations without losing pixel data.
    Overall, the number of colors assigned to the background (planeA+planeB) has been doubled.
    This has implied recoloring the enemy sprites, too (which at the moment I am not modifying in other ways).

This has implied recoloring the enemy sprites, too (which at the moment I am not modifying in other ways).
    Well, actually there are some sprites that I have edited heavily (not just recolored). This is the case of the piles of skulls and blades from the last comparison picture.

Some updates on my Ghouls'n Ghosts ARCADE project.
    These are the first images where the background graphics have been entirely redrawn for the first part of stage 1.

I'm trying to include all original assets from the arcade game, although not all the original tiles could be retained due to VRAM space.
    Much work has been invested in editing the assets to deal with color limitations without losing pixel data.
    Overall, the number of colors assigned to the background (planeA+planeB) has been doubled.

OMG

Stunning!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I wasn't crazy about that first recoloring because of how the stock Mega Drive version's assets' manifest palette swaps.

This update with customized assets fixes the biggest problem in the stock version. Hopefully Lucifer can look like an actual red devil and not a flame elemental.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Thread Information