Quantcast

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: List of games deserving a Color Hack

Some people are probably expecting me to say this, but I think King's Bounty could do with a color hack, just to soften the colors. That game has some bizarre color choices and I think it could be massively improved.

Having said that, why is Flink on anyone's list? That game looks amazing.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 02-20-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    "...so i think maybe be bether play this game in snes after all..."
    agreed!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Snes version the vegetation changes during the stage before the rain, also theres indepedent color tones for each background planes,
    mega cd version its also capped, so i think maybe be bether play this game in snes after all, my best results is here(include window color fix) .
    OMG that's beautiful.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Tiny Toon Adventures
    Flink
    Soleil
    (...)

Quote Originally Posted by dr apocalipsis View Post
    Tiny Toon Adventures
    Flink
    Soleil
    (...)

i agree that one of these top game deservers some improvement, the original RKA is one thats dosent make me happy in all stages.
    i want changes some things there for my self in the future, like a did in firts stage and etc..

orig/hack

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

IMHO, tweaking original games is, for the most part, a waste of resources. Trying to force personal tastes on deliberated artistic choices isn't what I would call 'fix'. Soleil has already an superb use of color, with every map telling you a mood state and even time background just by pallete choices.

Ports, in the other hand, is another beast. Your modifications on that Fatal Fury pics are pretty good and worth a shoot, actually.
    Last edited by dr apocalipsis; 02-21-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

IMHO, tweaking original games is, for the most part, a waste of resources. Trying to force personal tastes on deliberated artistic choices isn't what I would call 'fix'. Soleil has already an superb use of color, with every map telling you a mood state and even time background just by pallete choices.

Ports, in the other hand, is another beast. Your modifications on that Fatal Fury pics are pretty good and worth a shoot, actually.
    Not all 16-bit games which are not ports are perfectly developed realizations of the devs' vision. Too many games from every console library show obvious imperfections that were not done on purpose (like SNES slowdown).

Even if a particular game actually is exactly what a dev team had in mind, that doesn't change the fact that many current fans don't like the color as-is or at least want something better.

Japanese games always lose their intended artistic voice when when translated to different languages, because it is impossible do express everything the exact same. But playing a game in a language you are fluent in is more enjoyable for the player, even though the "deliberate artistic choices" are lost.

Thankfully, you have the choice whether or not to play a color hack or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Not all 16-bit games which are not ports are perfectly developed realizations of the devs' vision. Too many games from every console library show obvious imperfections that were not done on purpose (like SNES slowdown).

Even if a particular game actually is exactly what a dev team had in mind, that doesn't change the fact that many current fans don't like the color as-is or at least want something better.
    This.
    And there is quite some room for improvement in games like Tiny Toon Adventures, Flink and Soleil.

Pretty much every single game can have its palette usage improved, regardless of this "artistic choice" bullshit I read here at times. It's really not that difficult to find repeated colors on supposedly different shades and badly converted/invalid color values even in top tier Mega Drive games. As long as pretty much every game can have its source code optimized to some extent since there's always some sort(s) of constraint which made these games not really being pushed near to their full potential (with some very rare exceptions).

And I agree with Black_Tiger's remarks about Soleil. Some shades don't really "work" and/or are way too similar to be noticeable on CRT TVs, for an example.

Even if you think a game has 100% perfect selection of colors and shading, it can still be tweaked towards a specific video output/color encoding/TV set/art style.

I agree.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    It's really not that difficult to find repeated colors on supposedly different shades and badly converted/invalid color values even in top tier Mega Drive games.
    THIS

A good example of game that have bad colors, inverted color shades and inaccurate choices compared to the Arcade is the mediocre game KA-GE-KI:

original/hack

Arcade
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 02-21-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This.
    And there is quite some room for improvement in games like Tiny Toon Adventures, Flink and Soleil.

Pretty much every single game can have its palette usage improved, regardless of this "artistic choice" bullshit I read here at times. It's really not that difficult to find repeated colors on supposedly different shades and badly converted/invalid color values even in top tier Mega Drive games. As long as pretty much every game can have its source code optimized to some extent since there's always some sort(s) of constraint which made these games not really being pushed near to their full potential (with some very rare exceptions).

And I agree with Black_Tiger's remarks about Soleil. Some shades don't really "work" and/or are way too similar to be noticeable on CRT TVs, for an example.

Even if you think a game has 100% perfect selection of colors and shading, it can still be tweaked towards a specific video output/color encoding/TV set/art style.
    I agree with Black Tiger and Barone, wise words.
    To add some discution here, the "art direction choice" is not a turth in all cases,
    tha "art direction" and the artistic choices are made in concept art, for example:
    Keiji Inafune did the concept of mega man but he's dosent creat the pixel art or choose the colors used in game,
    another guy did that job and try folow hes concepts...

So this guy take it

and tranforms on it

The limitations and restritions make the barries but sometimes this guy dosent do a good job, or fail in some places.
    What i did in RKA for example isn't change the stage colors or the choices of the original concept, i just refine it to look bether using the same colors.
    I take alot of original games with disables shades and repetead ones, so its is artistic choice or poor profissional job?

Darius II like Black Tiger take as example.. if it is a original game that is a artisct choice right?
    orig/hack

Undestand?

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    THIS

A good example of game that have bad colors, inverted color shades and inaccurate choices compared to the Arcade is the mediocre game KA-GE-KI:

original/hack

Arcade
    yeah and nice job!

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Darius II like Black Tiger take as example.. if it is a original game that is a artisct choice right?
    orig/hack

Undestand?
    Wow, that looks like a completely different game.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Incredible!
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

orig/hack.
    I respect your work, but I don't agree.
    In this case you're not "enhancing" the colors, you're saying: hell this dark cave is dull being grey and purple, I would prefer it brownish and green because it looks better.
    Well, maybe the original artist wanted it to be dark and dull?
    ***** トル・ランディール ******

Thread Information