Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Battle - Community Opinions

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Default Last Battle - Community Opinions

I don't know what it is with this game. I've always wanted to like it. It was one of the first games I played, and the first game I rented. I've always loved the look and feel of the game. I could never get into it though. I return to it regularly, every year, in an attempt to garner an appreciation for it, or to finally find out what makes me want to like it, but I'm sort of stifled every time.

I just can't get into it, but I can't say I dislike it. Thoughts? Does the game ever get good? Is there some mid-high level game play that makes the experience more rewarding that I'm missing?

I never really hear someone say, "I love Last Battle". Which is weird, I love all kinds of games people don't, and I hear that about games I'm not terrible crazy about, but Last Battle is kinda just there, being mediocre.

I mean, I love Altered Beast. I love Pit-Fighter. I can get passed this or that issue and see the rewarding/ positive things about this or that game. I just can't find anything to bite into with Last Battle.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

It's a cool game that I would never have paid much for bitd. But I got it fairly early on, tossed in as part of a trade. I had already rented it and finished it and knew what it was and like a lot of flawed games, it's still an enjoyable experience. The enemies flying off screen is so much more satisfying and video game-like than exploding into blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The problem is that it's extremely repetitive, especially early on. The localization making it look horribly cheesy (in an otherwise serious looking game) isn't helping matters.

That said, note that you can level up (something easy to overlook). You do this just by attacking enemies. Note that there's a cap on how much you can go up (depending on how far you've progressed), so you can't just grind endlessly.

It felt like it was totally aimless. No one in the game makes sense, and the the narrative is just a jumbled mess. I wonder if a fan translation with a more focused, understandable narrative, and competent dialog would help it along. There seems to be a pack of direction, I don't know if I get beat up cause I suck, or because I'm.not supposed to be in that area yet, or a combination of both.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

This game ends up on a lot of people's "worst" lists for the console. I think that's maybe a bit too harsh but it is certainly mediocre and not something I'd recommend.

Does the game makes more sense in Japanese? It just feels like it would be more playable if it were better translated.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Does the game makes more sense in Japanese? It just feels like it would be more playable if it were better translated.
    Yeah it does, its actually a game about a Japanese anime called Hokuto No Ken II (Fist of the North Star II) and its pretty much the entire anime in game form.

I never liked Last Battle, but when I got into Hokuto it became a lot more interesting to me.

The translation while weird seems to be somewhat close to the source material, with some things changed here and there.

Yeah, I knew it was HNK, it's pretty much the same as HNK -> Black Belt on the Master System. It just seems that without competent translation, a lot got lost. Either way, I'm glad I'm not just missing something. The game just doesn't seem to grab me enough to want to deal with the rough parts and simply play through it.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

I liked it. I even had both versions. But it got boring playing alone, much rather play Streets of Rage or Final Fight with a friend.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Actually the translation tries to be accurate, but 1) the game completely skips any sort of proper introduction to the situation since it was assumed fans of the series would know already (the localization can't exploit this) 2) and also relies on the previous game (the connection got lost in the localization... why didn't they call it Black Belt 2?) and 3) most importantly, the inability to make the ROM larger meant that text had to take roughly the same amount of characters, but in English you can only fit about half the stuff than Japanese in the same space... (Phantasy Star II suffers from this heavily as well)

Master of Shinobi

It's fun to tinker around with. I like Altered Beast a lot more in terms of similar but equally panned games. Still, if you can get the hang of it and immerse yourself in it, it's not that bad either. And Black Belt on SMS drove me insane as a kid.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I never really hear someone say, "I love Last Battle". Which is weird, I love all kinds of games people don't, and I hear that about games I'm not terrible crazy about, but Last Battle is kinda just there, being mediocre.
    I love Last Battle. Seriously, it's one of my favourite games on the Genesis. Mostly it's due to blind love of HnK as a child and having the "Hokuto no Ken" game in my Megadrive library, but i still enjoy it today. I like the beat em'up sections, with random enemies that look all the same but are challenging yet not frustrating. I'm fine with the controls that are simple enough for an early-Genesis game (1989, you can't be earlier than that). I like the labyrinth sections, of which i was drawing accurate maps as a child (actually, my brother was) in order to understand how to escape. I love that bosses have a strategy, and they are not always the same, although almost all end up in the basic "jump kick when he's far, standing punch when it's near" you can still need some variations for each one. I also love that what i think it's the best Kenshiro fight ever, him vs. Ronn, is also the funniest fight of the game, Aarzak vs. Gromm (Chapter 3 final boss).

Sure, without knowing that it is inspired by Hokuto no Ken it is basically impossible to understand the plot. See what an oblivious writer thinks of it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/5266...tle/faqs/57251

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I have fond memories of Last Battle but although it's part of my collection I haven't played it for years. I found it hard, very hard, even when leveled up by spamming fights with enemies I could never get past the third level because the boss fights are so cheap and the collision detection laughable. I like the music and the style of the game (choosing where to go on the map of each level is cool) but to call the gameplay repetitive and the bosses cheap is an understatement of epic proportions. Oh and the story is fucking incomprehensible unless you're familiar with the Fist of the North Star animes but since this is not even referred to either in the game's manual or as part of the game's narrative how the hell people in the West were supposed to make that connection in 1989 is anyone's guess. Sega should have just bit the bullet and released the Japanese version and to hell with the censors because it would have made a whole lot more sense than the game we got in Europe and the US.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I have fond memories of Last Battle but although it's part of my collection I haven't played it for years. I found it hard, very hard, even when leveled up by spamming fights with enemies I could never get past the third level because the boss fights are so cheap and the collision detection laughable. I like the music and the style of the game (choosing where to go on the map of each level is cool) but to call the gameplay repetitive and the bosses cheap is an understatement of epic proportions. Oh and the story is fucking incomprehensible unless you're familiar with the Fist of the North Star animes but since this is not even referred to either in the game's manual or as part of the game's narrative how the hell people in the West were supposed to make that connection in 1989 is anyone's guess. Sega should have just bit the bullet and released the Japanese version and to hell with the censors because it would have made a whole lot more sense than the game we got in Europe and the US.
    Maybe they knew the game was bad enough that sales of it wouldn't recoup the cost of licensing.

Was the anime even broadcasted in the West by that time? The reason most anime-based games got localized into something else is because those animes hadn't even left Japan yet.

Thread Information