Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What in God's Name is This Abomination???

Default What in God's Name is This Abomination???

Browsing on Ebay (always dangerous) and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-MARIO-...UAAOSwYaFWepj~

What the holy hell is this? There are other "Russian" Genesis games for sale as well.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marlowe221 View Post
    Browsing on Ebay (always dangerous) and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-MARIO-...UAAOSwYaFWepj~

What the holy hell is this? There are other "Russian" Genesis games for sale as well.
    Wow the pics on the box look like Mario World. Which was always said to exist, but the ROM never surfaced online AFAIK.

So if it's really Mario World then this is awesome, and someone needs to dump the ROM online, like the other Mario hacks that are floating around online already.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Russia is the core of where these after market games come from.

You should check out Mr. Dendy, a Russian kid who grew up with these type of games that not only reviews them but knows a good portion of their history.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Wow the pics on the box look like Mario World. Which was always said to exist, but the ROM never surfaced online AFAIK.

So if it's really Mario World then this is awesome, and someone needs to dump the ROM online, like the other Mario hacks that are floating around online already.
    I don't know... I don't remember Mario holding crates up over his head in the SNES game. To me this looks like some kind of Genesis style remake of the original NES game. Then again, there is something very... Alex Kidd-esque about the graphical style too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Russia is the core of where these after market games come from.

You should check out Mr. Dendy, a Russian kid who grew up with these type of games that not only reviews them but knows a good portion of their history.

Very cool, I will check out his videos.

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Wow, the price is atrociously high.

Actually it looks like screenshots from several games.

Pretty sure it was already dumped, no idea if already emulated though (there's a mapper to work around >_>).

Super Mario World 64 was dumped and really looks like SMW, but unfortunately, plays like shit!

VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Based on videos of it, it just seems to be Super Mario Brothers with unimpressive renditions of the music. Everdrive fodder in my opinion.

There are two "Super Mario World" hacks. One of them is Squirrel King with all the graphics being Mario-nized, the other's a port of SMB All-Stars' Super Mario Bros 1 with bad controls.

And there's a game that looks like Super Mario World too (which appears in three of those screenshots). The physics are utterly broken, which sucks because the graphics side of it at least was well done.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Weird how the back of the cover shows the "Super MarioWorld 64" pirate, while the last screenshot shows that SMB1 pirate.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

There're a lot of crossover Knock-Off ports like this. Also hacks and the like. I don't really mind them. Actually, I'm very surprised at the level of professionalism behind their physical copy iterations (which include very good looking manuals and cases). 'Way better than many Genesis homebrews nowadays. I may even get into those crazy ports one day. Who knows? I think it's cool. I don't think of it as anything official or even collectable; but definitely cool.

Actually I am surprised that it includes a manual as well. I've seen many a bootleg cart and while cases are nothing unusual (only famiclone cartridges are sold loose) the manual is an uncommon thing.
    Last edited by Allard; 03-03-2016 at 04:54 AM.

There was a dump of Mario World 64 that was hacked to run via the Everdrive, I have a copy. To be honest its graphically pretty good, but the controls take a bit of getting used to, especially the way Mario runs. The only thing making the game unplayable for me is the lack of checkpoints, every level has to be done entirely in one attempt. Considering the fact that its an unlicensed hack job, its kind of okay, but you're not missing anything if you can't find a copy.

I guess it'd be way more playable if Mario's run momentum was gradual (like in most platformers) instead of being stuck in two speeds.

Thread Information