Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Question for Virtua Racing experts.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

On the Saturn wheel: I wanted one as long as I've had a Saturn. I randomly walked into a game store in Albany one day and they happened to have one for $12, so I jumped on it. After using it quite a bit, I'm not crazy about it. Construction wise, it doesn't feel great. Mine wiggles more than I'd prefer, but that could just be my unit. The big thing that hurts it is the lack of analog acceleration and braking. I get it if Sega didn't want it to have wired pedals hanging off of it, but they could've come up with some solution. Just slap some triggers on the back or front of the grips. It's great in that it lets me play Hang On GP 95 and others with better steering, but without analog accel and brake I feel ripped off.

It's my go to controller when playing Hang On, VR, OG Daytona, and Touge King 1, but any racer that supports the 3D pad is better with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Silanda is the MVP of this thread.

Now I want to play Saturn VR.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bad game but most people hate it for the wrong reasons. It's not a port of VR, it's a re-imagining. It may be bad, but I'd still rather play it than the arcade/PS2/32x/whatever because it's the only VR that has more depth than Britney Spears.

I'm not sure if anyone around here has played it but the Switch port is stunning; Arcade perfect and has a multi split screen mode which is so impressive!

This port reminds me of Soul Calibur on DC. Arcade perfect but then, so much more!

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

^Looks great but for me the 32x will always be my favorite. The Rocky Mountain stage looks like a real town (relatively speaking) and it really takes a miracle of expert handling, to get into the top 5 on that track... You gotta slam the gas and drift around 45-degree corners as fast as possible for the whole thing, it's practically impossible lol.

That Switch port looks really good. I wish I had a Switch to play it on. I'm OK though because I am one of the few who owns an actual stand up Arcade machine. It's so much fun to play and other home ports aren't much fun after playing the real thing. I haven't played the PS2 or version and actually just picked up a copy of the Saturn version and have to try it out. I haven't played the 32X version in forever and just recently played the Genesis port and needless to say it was hard to stomach next to the arcade machine. One of my favorite games for sure but I admit that I need to spend some more time with the home ports for comparison.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    That Switch port looks really good. I wish I had a Switch to play it on. I'm OK though because I am one of the few who owns an actual stand up Arcade machine. It's so much fun to play and other home ports aren't much fun after playing the real thing. I haven't played the PS2 or version and actually just picked up a copy of the Saturn version and have to try it out. I haven't played the 32X version in forever and just recently played the Genesis port and needless to say it was hard to stomach next to the arcade machine. One of my favorite games for sure but I admit that I need to spend some more time with the home ports for comparison.
    I had the Mega Drive port back when I was a kid a few years after release and although it scratched the itch, it was nowhere near the same feel as the original Arcade game.

I've spent more time this week playing the M2 Switch port and it really shines. Fantastic faithfullness to the original feel but they've improved the draw distance and refined so much, it's quite hard to take in! Considering the care in which M2 have handled the port, it'll be great to see them given the keys to Sega Rally, Daytona USA and a few other classics which have never really been ported with the care they deserve to widescreen, modern systems. Although the 360 port of Daytona was pretty good.

Very cool you have the upright cabinet of Virtua Racing! When did you get it and have any pictures?

I got it about a year ago for $500 in trade (I repair game systems and my friend owns a game store and needed to restock and he had this machine which wasn't selling) It's in decent shape with some cabinet damage and needs new feet but otherwise in nice shape, it works perfectly though. It's an awesome game. I can try and get some pictures soon.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Hero of Algol

Saturn version is a travesty.

Of the old ports, the 32X version is by far the best. It's a really great racer on its own.

The arcade game has this unique simulation with arcade elements mix (similar to what Daytona USA is to stock car racing) but the ports of the time simply couldn't replicate that due to lack of full analog steering wheel with pedals and not enough processing power to port the physics engine.
    The 32X version is therefore an straight up arcade game.

I got it about a year ago for $500 in trade (I repair game systems and my friend owns a game store and needed to restock and he had this machine which wasn't selling) It's in decent shape with some cabinet damage and needs new feet but otherwise in nice shape, it works perfectly though. It's an awesome game. I can try and get some pictures soon.
    Very cool! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Saturn version is a travesty.

Of the old ports, the 32X version is by far the best. It's a really great racer on its own.

The arcade game has this unique simulation with arcade elements mix (similar to what Daytona USA is to stock car racing) but the ports of the time simply couldn't replicate that due to lack of full analog steering wheel with pedals and not enough processing power to port the physics engine.
    The 32X version is therefore an straight up arcade game.
    What's wrong with the Saturn version? I got it a few years ago without having heard anything bad about it on the internet, and thought it was a cool port that has a lot of expanded content. It also was pretty ballsy in 1996 to put out a version faithful to the original flat-shaded polygon style of the arcade game. I was playing it with a racing wheel so maybe it's hard to control with a regular controller?

Thread Information