Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless Controllers

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I am having issues simulating the chip in the mega drive controller. It might take a few more day's but I think I might have found a solution. (see here for details). When everything is working I am going to put the transmitter into the controller. I am still deciding on how and where I am going to put the components since there is just so much space

Now I want to make ALL my controllers wireless , so here is a list of other controllers I am going to convert:
    - NES
    - SNES (almost done)
    - MegaDrive/Genesis (working on it)
    - Nintendo 64
    - Gamecube
    - Dreamcast (just got a controller, no console)

I know wireless controllers exist for most of these systems, but none of them play or feel like the original. This list is just the ones I have, any more controllers you would like to see wireless?
    Other controllers could be the arcade sticks for those consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I am having issues simulating the chip in the mega drive controller. It might take a few more day's but I think I might have found a solution. (see here for details). When everything is working I am going to put the transmitter into the controller. I am still deciding on how and where I am going to put the components since there is just so much space

Now I want to make ALL my controllers wireless , so here is a list of other controllers I am going to convert:
    - NES
    - SNES (almost done)
    - MegaDrive/Genesis (working on it)
    - Nintendo 64
    - Gamecube
    - Dreamcast (just got a controller, no console)

I know wireless controllers exist for most of these systems, but none of them play or feel like the original. This list is just the ones I have, any more controllers you would like to see wireless?
    You don't think the Wavebird is good? Or are you going to have rumble in your model?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigas Breaker View Post
    Other controllers could be the arcade sticks for those consoles.
    I have thought about arcade sticks and I expect them to function just like a regular controller. I don't have any so I can't test this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
    You don't think the Wavebird is good? Or are you going to have rumble in your model?
    I have had two cheap wireless controllers for the gamecube and they were crap. And yes I am going to have rumble in it. I don't know about the wavebird since I don't have one. They were always expensive or unavailable
    Learning the genesis one bit at a time

Most games I have are now playable and I could not detect much of a delay in the response. Only Lion King has a very annoying issue in that it does not want to do a long jump. I would say I have the simulation working 85%. It's impossible to get 100% with an arduino because the 74HC157 chip inside the real controllers can respond 20 times faster than the arduino can even detect the console has changed the select line. But there is some room for improvement and I am looking into it, I will look into that later when I got some more time.

I let the timing issues rest for now. The transmitting side works perfectly but is still sitting on a breadboard so it's more of a wired-mess than wireless at the moment. I started making room in the mega drive controller and have the RGB led and charger in place. I made pictures but I save them for later since they just show the LED and charger glued into the case. Still need to find a way to keep the battery in place above the circuitboard, but at least there is enough space in there to put a huge 500 mAh battery in there that could last up to 50 or 60 hours on a single charge but I think I will save those for the Gamecube and N64 controllers since they need a lot more power. The Dreamcast controller might require some juice too I guess.

I did not have much time for the Wireless Controllers I was working on lately, since I joined the Gensoip Team. I have not abandoned this project completely though and I hope to have the Genesis Controller version ready within 3-4 days.

Hey!
    Any news on this awesome piece of work?
    SEGA, mais forte que tu!

not much to tell yet unfortunatly, I did add the Arduino board, transmitter and power regulator inside. But not all connections are made yet.

I do know how to get around the timing issues, for now. Spending time on the Gensoip I concluded the best way is either a CPLD to do the timing, or avoid the issue entirely and use an actual 74HC157 that 'simulates' the controller. This does limit the wireless system to 3-button controllers only though. But that would be fine for me since I have no 6-button controllers anyway.

I was a little to optimistic about the amount of time I had and how much I would need. So I won't give an exact time frame when it's done. But it won't be more than a month.

Thread Information